FitBit Calorie Burn Over-exaggerated

13»

Replies

• 3JinItaly
    3JinItaly Posts: 27 Member
    By insane, I meant that I always get at least 800 calories back. Sometimes as much as 1200. I'm a 15000 a day stepper (but I live in Italy where you HAVE to walk everywhere), I do heavy lifting and a kickboxing class 6 days a week. So even though I'm active, sometimes this still seems like a lot of calories to get back. I have my activity level set on "lightly active'. Is that bad??
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    3JinItaly wrote: »
    By insane, I meant that I always get at least 800 calories back. Sometimes as much as 1200. I'm a 15000 a day stepper (but I live in Italy where you HAVE to walk everywhere), I do heavy lifting and a kickboxing class 6 days a week. So even though I'm active, sometimes this still seems like a lot of calories to get back. I have my activity level set on "lightly active'. Is that bad??

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings then you can set your activity level however you like: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

If you increase your activity level you'll start the day with more calories & get smaller adjustments.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about supposed inaccuracies. If the Fitbit motivates you to move, it's a great tool.

^^This
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    My Fitbit One is almost always under what I actually burn, how do I know? If it was right I would have gained at least 20 lbs. by now, I have been using it since August. :) Next time I am getting a device that can "do" weight lifting.

Sadly there are none that claim to do weight lifting calories.

Polar has one for lifters, but their website mentions it's not for calorie burn, but merely to help know how long to allow the rests a tad more automatically.

Now, the Surge does let you include several exercise types to select from for the actual workout - perhaps they include weights.

I'd be curious from a Surge owner if it is one, and then does it base it on HR (invalid use), or merely time.

Weights is an option.

I'm not sure what the formula for it is. The formula doesn't seem to be solely HR dependent, but it does seem to have somewhat of an impact if it gets high enough. Example:

45 mins - 157 cals per Surge Tracking

Fitbit Manual Log - 265 cals
    MFP Manual Log - 152 cals
    AVG HR - 114

43 mins - 185 cals per surge Tracking

Fitbit Manual Log- 254 cals
    MFP Manual Log - 145 cals
    AVG HR - 123

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited March 2015
    3JinItaly wrote: »

Nothing is "bad". What matters is what works. I get about 15000 steps a day, too. Your exercise sounds like it is probably more intense than mine. I usually do a 1 hour walk and 20-40 minutes of Zumba a day. I've recently added some weight training, but I doubt I'm burning a lot extra with that just yet. My activity level is set to "sedentary". I usually get 800-1000 calories back. Changing the setting to "lightly active" would cut that by about 200 calories. So, I doubt that an 800-1200 exercise calorie adjustment is insane.

For me, what works is keeping the setting at sedentary and 0.5 lb/week loss but then aiming to have about 250 calories left at the end of the day. You've got a lot less to lose, so you should probably just stick to the 0.5 lb/week goal and not leave as many calories "on the table" as I do.

If it freaks you out to get so many calories "back", then change your setting to active (but, as editorgrrl says, be sure to have negative adjustments enabled). The thing is, that won't change how many calories you can actually eat each day. It will just change how many "exercise calories" you're awarded. However, it could make planning easier as the calories you start the day with are closer to reality.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    My Fitbit One is almost always under what I actually burn, how do I know? If it was right I would have gained at least 20 lbs. by now, I have been using it since August. :) Next time I am getting a device that can "do" weight lifting.

Sadly there are none that claim to do weight lifting calories.

Polar has one for lifters, but their website mentions it's not for calorie burn, but merely to help know how long to allow the rests a tad more automatically.

Now, the Surge does let you include several exercise types to select from for the actual workout - perhaps they include weights.

I'd be curious from a Surge owner if it is one, and then does it base it on HR (invalid use), or merely time.

Weights is an option.

I'm not sure what the formula for it is. The formula doesn't seem to be solely HR dependent, but it does seem to have somewhat of an impact if it gets high enough. Example:

45 mins - 157 cals per Surge Tracking

Fitbit Manual Log - 265 cals
    MFP Manual Log - 152 cals
    AVG HR - 114

43 mins - 185 cals per surge Tracking

Fitbit Manual Log- 254 cals
    MFP Manual Log - 145 cals
    AVG HR - 123

Interesting. And confusing. From researching the studies the METS database came from, if weights was the correct option for what you were doing (5-15 reps, rests of 2-4 min, 2-5 sets, heavy for you), I'd trust it more.

Except that is rather high on Fitbit's database.

They have been doing some cleanup - I wonder if the mixed together circuit training and Weight lifting and averaged the METS and calorie burn on it.

That's a bummer.

Was the 43 min workout more legs?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Both were on a Stronglifts Workout A day.

Looking at the logs, it seems I get a higher calorie burn on days were I failed sets (maybe I'm walking around more).
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    I have a fitbit one and I think it under estimates. I run and use the Nike app and my calorie burn is always higher on it than on my fitbit. Also, if I log everything as precisely as I can, I lose more weight than what it predicts. I am always disappointed when I look at the exercise calories it gives me because I know I worked harder than that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    dlr165 wrote: »
    I have a fitbit one and I think it under estimates. If I log everything as precisely as I can, I lose more weight than what it predicts.

Then lower your weight-loss goal. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. A smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

The calorie counts & burns are only estimates. We should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Both were on a Stronglifts Workout A day.

Looking at the logs, it seems I get a higher calorie burn on days were I failed sets (maybe I'm walking around more).

Well sure, walking around kicking the supports and weight stacks counts as steps, and if arm device wild gesturing probably does too.

:p