Fitbit Aria Users

kimkilbride
kimkilbride Posts: 11 Member
Does anyone have the Aria scale?
I have it and while i enjoy that it tells me my BF percent I find it a bit inaccurate. If I weigh myself three times in a row there are sometimes 1lb discrepancies. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I have it and nope mine doesn't have that issue. I occasionally have to step on mine a second time because for whatever reason the sync failed the first time
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I'm debating about getting one.

I have one of the first Tanita BF scales. I have been recording the BF percentage that it shows since last July, but don't trust it one bit. Some of the reasons I don't trust it probably apply to a newer scale as well, but some might not. So, that makes me think maybe I should.

My son has one and really likes it. That makes me lean towards getting one, too.

At this point in my weight loss journey it really doesn't matter. No matter how fit I get, at my height and weight, I am going to also be too fat. So, the scale isn't going to tell me anything I don't already know. That makes me lean towards not spending the money.

I am interested in what other people think about the scale.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I've had an Aria for a year & a half. The body fat thing is useless, but I love never having to log my weight. I weigh daily, and sync with http://www.trendweight.com to see the trend without the "noise" from water weight.

Unlike MFP's "in 5 weeks" nonsense, Aria + Trendweight has been amazingly accurate. I don't know if I'd have successfully maintained for 8 months without them.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    I have the Aria. I find the BF% on it and the Tanita (an old original one) are the same.
    While it may not be 100% accurate it will be consistent.
    I find I have to weigh myself at the same time each day, no clothes and clean feet, the numbers aren't all over the place. The numbers will also vary wildly if your water intake is all over the place.
  • dannyoneillmfp
    dannyoneillmfp Posts: 11 Member
    Body fat is calculated by passing an electric current through your body and sensing how much resistance it faces. To get an accurate reading from day to day you need to do it at the same time, with an empty bladder each time, dry feet, not fresh from the shower or workout.

If I do mine then get in the shower and dry off the readings change a lot.

As it scans look forwards, as you look down your body is moving around and things get all squiffy.

Also, never EVER do it daily. You can put on 2lb the next day and be down 3 the following. Weekly, only do it weekly. I lvoe that I can see when my wife weighs herself and I tell her off for doing it daily (or hourly sometimes).
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Body fat is calculated by passing an electric current through your body and sensing how much resistance it faces.

< snip >

Also, never EVER do it daily. You can put on 2lb the next day and be down 3 the following. Weekly, only do it weekly. I lvoe that I can see when my wife weighs herself and I tell her off for doing it daily (or hourly sometimes).

It's my understanding that body fat measurement via electric current resistance is not accurate if you have large metal parts in your body, such as a hip or knee replacement.

Re daily weighing.... the variance is exactly why I weigh myself every day and sometimes more than once in a day. If I work hard all week, on track with food and exercise I can be crushed with a 0 or worse (+) on the scale. By weighing myself a lot I am familiar and comfortable with variance and don't take it to heart as long as I know I'm trending in the right direction.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    FishyK wrote: »
    Body fat is calculated by passing an electric current through your body and sensing how much resistance it faces.

< snip >

It's my understanding that body fat measurement via electric current resistance is not accurate if you have large metal parts in your body, such as a hip or knee replacement.

Re daily weighing.... the variance is exactly why I weigh myself every day and sometimes more than once in a day. If I work hard all week, on track with food and exercise I can be crushed with a 0 or worse (+) on the scale. By weighing myself a lot I am familiar and comfortable with variance and don't take it to heart as long as I know I'm trending in the right direction.

That's the same reason I weigh every day, too. If I only did it once a week, it would take on huge importance.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    I have an Aria. I pretty much ignore the body fat numbers...I don't think they are accurate on any scale. I have to admit, I have never stepped on and off multiple times in a row to see if there is any difference.

I like to weigh myself every day and have the weight automatically loaded to Fitbit and Trendweight. I would hate to weigh weekly because it would take so long to see if the trend is up or down. For example...this morning I was 2 lbs higher than yesterday but I have numbers for the rest of the week that show a downward trend. What if that had been my weigh in day for the week? I might think I had actually gained two pounds instead of it being just normal fluctuations.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Amerielle wrote: »
    I have an Aria. I pretty much ignore the body fat numbers...I don't think they are accurate on any scale. I have to admit, I have never stepped on and off multiple times in a row to see if there is any difference.

I like to weigh myself every day and have the weight automatically loaded to Fitbit and Trendweight. I would hate to weigh weekly because it would take so long to see if the trend is up or down. For example...this morning I was 2 lbs higher than yesterday but I have numbers for the rest of the week that show a downward trend. What if that had been my weigh in day for the week? I might think I had actually gained two pounds instead of it being just normal fluctuations.

I know right. I used to weigh less often and what I didn't realize was fluctuations would freak me out. Now, there are people who do better weighing in once a week or less, I'm just not one of them. I know my weight can fluctuate, but I'd hate to have to give it 3 or 4 weeks just to see what my trend was.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    I use it with Trendweight.
    I also had a scan done on a professional grade machine and the Aria was only .5% off on the body fat. I brought it with me to double check the accuracy.
  • kimberlyanne0522
    kimberlyanne0522 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks Danny!! I've wondered exactly how these BF scales work. I've had one for years and never quite understood. Thanks for taking the time to post this. :)

Body fat is calculated by passing an electric current through your body and sensing how much resistance it faces. To get an accurate reading from day to day you need to do it at the same time, with an empty bladder each time, dry feet, not fresh from the shower or workout.

If I do mine then get in the shower and dry off the readings change a lot.

As it scans look forwards, as you look down your body is moving around and things get all squiffy.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I would confirm the scale on the dry feet aspect, I've had 3, and they varied on having dry feet, or slightly moist.

None should be done after a workout, unless you just want invalid data and want to see how far off it could be.

And for scale version, up one leg and down the other. Electricity, path of least resistance.
    Handheld version, one arm back the other.
    My current is feet and hands combo, does foot to foot, hand to hand, then hand to opposite foot each side.

Here's more info on it BIA.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/fatbia.htm