Where to meet new people?

Options
dbienz
dbienz Posts: 188 Member
I got out of a long-term relationship a year and a half ago. I started online dating but that did not end well. I saw one guy for about 4 months before he told me "I just need to focus on my selfish years", another guy ended up being married, and there were lots of men just looking for physical interactions... We were definitely not on the same page.

Online dating definitely gets you connected with a lot more people very quickly, but it also sets you up for a lot more rejections or failures in the same short period of time. I'd like to take things a little slower and not feel so overwhelmed. I'm super outgoing so that's not an issue, I think I just need to change up my routine a bit. Currently work, volleyball practice, gym, doesn't leave a lot of time for new experiences!

So where do you meet people? Did online dating work for you? The gym? A different internet situation (not specifically a dating site)? Work? Social outings? Mutual friends?

Replies

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    "A different internet situation (not specifically a dating site)? "

Maybe the 'Singles Peeps' group? Just saying... stranger things have happened.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    He's right, several of my MFP friends have made relationship connections - some even to the point of marriage. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've met gals few via MFP. Another popular one is going through Meetup.com
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    depending on your city meetup.com is a great way to meet new people in general which could result in finding someone to date.
    The last couple guys I dated I actually meet through twitter but that was back when I was much more active on there. I am very sports orintated on twitter and meet a ton of people that like the same sports teams.
    I am most sucessful finding someone either doing something I have in commom with them then going to a dating event or site.
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much luck at all with internet dating. POF sucked, match did too. I'm a dancer so I hit the clubs and have pretty good results there. Tell me ladies, white guy who can dance, hot or not? I have also had a few really good interactions, both internet and in person, with MFP. Its a hit or miss with everyone. Hope things look up for you.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much luck at all with internet dating. POF sucked, match did too. I'm a dancer so I hit the clubs and have pretty good results there. Tell me ladies, white guy who can dance, hot or not? I have also had a few really good interactions, both internet and in person, with MFP. Its a hit or miss with everyone. Hope things look up for you.

Any guy willing to dance that isn't too touchy is hot. The minute a guy hands starts going places it shouldn't be is a turn off.
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Any guy willing to dance that isn't too touchy is hot. The minute a guy hands starts going places it shouldn't be is a turn off.

Well with west coast swing and waltz, the hands will only need to direct you to create a beautiful flow of movement and rhythm. ;-)
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Well with west coast swing and waltz, the hands will only need to direct you to create a beautiful flow of movement and rhythm. ;-)

West Coast Swing and Waltz...I would say hot. Especially if you are willing to guide them through the basics if the ladies are inexperienced in those dance styles.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As far as online dating, I had mixed results with POF. I did meet someone but we ended up more friends than anything else. I haven't tried Match. I have gone out with men that well meaning friends introduced me to. One has been on again/off again for several years and is currently off again. If I am smart I will keep it that way. The other, we went out a couple of times, had a good time and there seemed to be an attraction but it doesn't look like it is going anywhere other than being friends...I don't need another male friend...I have enough of those. :neutral_face:

This past weekend I went hiking with who I I have considered to be my oldest and best friend. I have known him since I was 15 and we have always been able to tell each other everything. We have been each other's shoulder through break-ups, the person we call with exciting news, the perspective of the opposite gender, and someone to not only encourage each other through low points but also to bring each other down to earth when we get a little high on ourselves.

He was originally my ex-husband's friend and told me not to marry him. He honestly did not attend our wedding and sided with me in the divorce. Needless to say they are no longer friends. He told me yesterday...after 35 years that he has always been attracted to me. REALLY??? This would have been good information to have 35 years ago! I am still processing this news flash.

Moral of the story...don't ignore what may be right in front of you. As the saying goes "Don't ignore the person who cares for you because someday you might realize you lost a diamond while collecting stones".