Paleo Chocolate Birthday Cake

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
This one is dairy, grain, gluten, nut and refined sugar free. It does have an abundance of eggs so unless you can do duck or quail eggs you are probably going to need to skip this one if you have an egg allergy. To be dairy free you will obviously need to use the coconut oil option instead of butter.

http://paleospirit.com/2012/paleo-chocolate-birthday-cake-coconut-honey-frosting/

Paleo Chocolate Birthday Cake

Ingredients (two 5-inch cake pans)

2/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup high quality cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
6 eggs
1/2 cup coconut oil (butter or ghee), melted (more for greasing pans)
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brewed coffee (or water)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
parchment paper for lining cake pans
;

Ingredients (two 9-inch cake pans)

1 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup high quality cacao powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
9 eggs
3/4 cup coconut oil (butter or ghee), melted (more for greasing pans)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee (or water)
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
parchment paper for lining cake pans
;

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.

Combine coconut flour, cacao, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, with whisk attachment, whisk the eggs.

Add the oil/butter/ghee, maple syrup, coffee and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.

Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated – about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl (you may need to do this a couple of times) and beat cake batter on high speed for about one full minute so that the batter is fluffy.

Divide batter between the two prepared pans. It will be thick. (Spread it out evenly in the pan)

Bake for 25 minutes (for 5 inch pans) or 30 minutes (for 9 inch pans) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn out onto the wire rack and allow to cool completely.

I made this recipe today for my family and it is very good! It's not a traditional cake texture but it does have a nice dense but not heavy, velvety mouth feel to it. It is barely sweet but has a rich chocolate taste much like a very dark chocolate candy bar. Once you put anything sweet on it though it balances out and is very good. I think it would be super good with whipping cream (or whipped coconut cream if you're dairy free) and berries. Oh and I used honey in place of the maple syrup because that's what I had. :)