Tired all of the time

Options
imboswell
imboswell Posts: 104 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I am 5 months out from surgery and for the last 2 - 3 weeks I have felt so tired. I have been stalled for the same 2 - 3 weeks. I am tired all of the time. I wake up tired, I am drinking 2 - 3 cups of coffee a day just to keep me going. At about 3 o'clock everyday I feel like I could just lay down and nap for hours. I am trying to stay at about 1000 calories. My boss was saying that maybe allergy's were the cause of my being so tired. I live in Florida and everything is blooming right now. Not sure if I can take allergy meds or not. I don't know if allergy's or surgery that has me feeling like this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• TakeANumber
    TakeANumber Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 8 months post-surgery, and began to experience intense exhaustion at about 6 months. My program doesn't do bloodwork until end of the first year, but I've had problems with low iron in the past. I added a daily Feosol about 3 weeks ago, and feel so much better. I'm also being VERY careful to make sure that I don't drink coffee, have dairy, or take my calcium within 2 hours of my iron & multivitamin. Calcium can interfere with iron absorption.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I assume prior to surgery you were checked for sleep apnea, so that probably isn't it. You should have your hemoglobin checked to make sure you aren't anemic.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    More protein maybe?
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the opposite reaction to surgery - I had more and more energy as the weeks went by and the weight dropped off.

Your diary isn't open, so I can't see what you're eating. But the coffee you describe worries me. Coffee always gives me a TEMPORARY pick-up followed by a huge crash. Also, you're eating a lot more calories than I was at that time.

Are you getting enough protein? I needed protein shakes to reach my limit (60gm/day per 900 cal/day)and it really helped. Also, vitamins (2 multis, 3 CitriCal). And at least 8 glasses of water every day (more if you drink coffee - isn't it a diuretic?) Filled the rest of my daily calorie quota with vegetables and fruit.

And I stayed away from "empty calories" like over-processed foods, especially starches and sugars. Cookies, ice cream, all that stuff would have defeated me (causing cravings, exhaustion crashes, etc.) so I didn't touch it.

Don't know if any of this applies to you, but best wishes, hope you find a fix.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'd get labs done. My program does 6 month labs anyway. Even if you're taking all your supps correctly sometimes folks just don't absorb some well and need to get an infusion, (iron or B12 being the usual energy sapping suspects). Also caffeine will leech the calcium out of your system, so if you do a lot of coffee, it's a good idea to get that checked anyway.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do drink a lot of coffee so maybe that is the problem. I got labs about 2 months ago and she said they looked good. Maybe more protein.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents--- since the fatigue started well after you had labs, it might be worth getting them done again. Increasing protein can't hurt, either. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters above. I am a big coffee drinker, but I have to honestly say that if I don't limit it, I won't get my water in. And when my water is low, I've found my energy is also low. So water, protein, B12 and Iron. Unless you have an over abundance of Iron, a small suppliment won't hurt you at all and we all need the B12.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    M, you have a very busy life...always the 1 keeping everything going, including doing a 2 day school event w/ your granddaughter!
    Can you enlist more help from those around you...even your granddaughter is old enough to be asked to pitch in.
    You've had so much going on that I think its your body trying to warn you to slow down a bit!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other people here, get lab's and your water. Low water intake can cause fatigue and light headed feeling, tired is similar so that could be it.

Randy (registered nurse)
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just had my six month checkup. I mentioned that I was starting to feel really tired again (after the surgery and initial weight loss, I had seen an increase in energy levels) and I was wondering why or if it was normal. I was told to increase my water intake and up my protein. I am going to try that and see if it helps. The nut also said to watch carb intake.