The S-Storm that is Xbox One

Options
DesignGuy
DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
Wow. Can Microsoft do anything right? Over the past couple weeks, the "water cooler" of consoles, Xbox One, has been getting hammered by people.

If you have 4 minutes and want to laugh, I present you with the must-watch video of the day that sums up the current state of the next Xbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cn_NoMjuFLc

E3 is in a few days. :)

Replies

• zteven82
    zteven82 Posts: 13
    Options
    Ya I'm disappointed with the news that came out yesterday. I usually get both systems but this time, I am going to buy the PS4.

Well, unless they do the same damn thing as Xbone. I suppose I'll buy both.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Um yeah.. that dude in the video needs to get laid.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    All the things revealed don't affect me at all and wouldn't change the way I game, sucks for my dad since he was looking forward to it but he won't get internet just to play single player games and he has no interest in multiplayer.
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    HunterKiller_wechange2 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is pretty funny too if you got a spare half hour. :)

http://youtu.be/ryB-hdtpQRw
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    That was hilarious! Especially near the end when he starts bashing the kinect with a hammer and dumbbell.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I might have to stick with the Wii U if the PS4 does the exact same thing. Maybe Sony will learn from this blunder. Should be interesting.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I might have to stick with the Wii U if the PS4 does the exact same thing. Maybe Sony will learn from this blunder. Should be interesting.

If Sony is smart, they will do the exact same thing and people will be forced into it. It makes more sense from a publishers point of view and they see how well Steam works already. It's the future...
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow. Can Microsoft do anything right? Over the past couple weeks, the "water cooler" of consoles, Xbox One, has been getting hammered by people.

If you have 4 minutes and want to laugh, I present you with the must-watch video of the day that sums up the current state of the next Xbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cn_NoMjuFLc

E3 is in a few days. :)

LMAO! Dude has problems!.. Love it how he destroys the Kinect!
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If I could put my keyboard and mouse to it..... I'd do it. Otherwise, you can have all these systems.

Steam is working on something and it will be huge once its released. And everyone knows how much of a pain it is to play in offline mode on Steam. Consoles being online only is inevitable and it would be stupid for them not to go this route.

Once everyone starts saying its not as bad as made out to be, you will eventually buy one regardless of online mode. Get over it and give them your money. DVD's are being phased out, social networking with entertainment is phased in. So long GameStop, hello MicroSoft used MarketPlace.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    If I could put my keyboard and mouse to it..... I'd do it. Otherwise, you can have all these systems.

Steam is working on something and it will be huge once its released. And everyone knows how much of a pain it is to play in offline mode on Steam. Consoles being online only is inevitable and it would be stupid for them not to go this route.

Once everyone starts saying its not as bad as made out to be, you will eventually buy one regardless of online mode. Get over it and give them your money. DVD's are being phased out, social networking with entertainment is phased in. So long GameStop, hello MicroSoft used MarketPlace.

LMAO!!!! "Get over it and give them your money"....That *kitten* made me laugh. You reminded me of the dude that leaked out the "Always On" info in a tweet rant, and then got fired. I like all games, and I love to have all systems. After seeing what I see, I think we all vote with our dollars. We the consumers, in the end, control who makes what. Will I miss out on some exclusive generic first or third person shooter or an MMO? Maybe and oh well. But no, I will not get over it and pay up. You can though. Enjoy!
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options

LMAO!!!! "Get over it and give them your money"....That *kitten* made me laugh. You reminded me of the dude that leaked out the "Always On" info in a tweet rant, and then got fired. I like all games, and I love to have all systems. After seeing what I see, I think we all vote with our dollars. We the consumers, in the end, control who makes what. Will I miss out on some exclusive generic first or third person shooter or an MMO? Maybe and oh well. But no, I will not get over it and pay up. You can though. Enjoy!

I'm not defending XBox. I don't even own one (or PS3) and won't unless I can have a keyboard and mouse on it. A gaming console doesn't come close to my "Always Online" gaming PC.

Besides, Sony is very likely to be taking the same business model for online games and cloud storage. Would you be done with gaming if they both went that route? The big thing for me years ago was reverse compatibility, but I am sure that is being killed off as well soon.

Also: If it isn't "Always Online" how can the Government collect the data on you?
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    It's not that the used game part pisses me off (I don't normally buy used games so not really worried, plus dude it's 2013, gamestop's used price = Amazon's new price).

The part that get's me is borrowing games, I used to often share games with little cousin, his parents won't buy him everything so he would just take my copies whenever and if he has to pay for them to play that'll suck. Only way around is if he logs into his system under my account but that means I can't play myself.

I really just don't like the idea but understand from a business model perspective why it makes sense.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, so let me comment on Steam. While I love it and have many games with it, there are tons of other options. And over the decades I've played numerous games offline just fine and still do to this day.

What bothers console gamers about "Always On" is that if you can't connect to the Internet for 24+ hours, your Xbox One CEASES to play games. A PC doesn't do that. I have tons of games I can play without going online ever. And yes, there are games I like that do require an online connection, which I'm fine with, but there's a huge difference between going offline and just being without some games and going offline and being without everything.

And for us PC guys, used games isn't an issue, because we have Steam, Gamer's Gate, Amazon, Green Man, Humble, D2D (GameFly) and more competing with each other by offering deals and often steals on games. Console games don't have that. The whole market is too tight. We also get mods, but that's another discussion. :)

As to the Steam box (which may or may not come out), I don't know how huge it will be. A PC gamer already has Steam Big Picture ability and unless your box is seriously old, your rig is probably more capable than a Steam unit will be because if the Steam box is anything more than say $250ish, they won't even begin to appeal to the mass market of console gamers. And at that price, there isn't much capital there for solid hardware unless Steam, et al take a loss on each box and hope to make it up in commissions from sales since it's not like consoles where there's licensing capital and such.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Um yeah.. that dude in the video needs to get laid.

That's just a character of his. IIRC, he has a GF.

As for the Xbone, I'm not getting one. Since the news started coming out about it I've been migrating more to PC gaming and selling off my Older 360 games. Have maybe 10 left that I haven't decided if it's worth trying to finish / start them or just get rid of 'em. Will be selling one, if not both, of my 360s here soon.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny?

Anyone acting like this **** storm even matters.

Every console to come out over the past decade has had immense controversy behind it, and the complaints about the X-Box one are just hilarious. Checks in once a day to make sure it is online? Heaven's no! The sheer irony of droves of people complaining about that on their smart phones and tablets and pcs on their wifi at home or at any location or on their mobile hotspot is laughable. I guarantee you Microsoft would not make a decision to put something like that there were it not industry and user base driven; when you can generate a quick report by serial number of how many xbox 360 consoles have been put online, the basis is simple. If you are not online with your xbox360 already, you will make it happen soon or for the xbox one.

The complaints about licensing and disc possession not indicating ownership? You want to know the last time there was a big **** storm about that kind of thing?

Steam.

If you really need me to elaborate on that, you have bigger problems than comprehension of the weak basis of that argument. Reselling and lending of games is not as huge an issue as people make it out to be. Oh you want to bring the latest Call of Duty over to a friend's because he doesn't have it? I guarantee you that is the minority among minorities of situations. Any of the popular game series like that rarely have gaps in ownership within social circles, because all of those little a**holes are trying to make ****ty knife kills on xbox live matches as it is.

The xbox one is barely more than a great hardware refresh of what the xbox360 has already become, a multimedia entertainment console that plays games. People already use it for video and music streaming, they use it as a set top box for uverse, or fios, or comcast and have been doing so for years already. I'm watching Netflix on mine as I type this, I'll be playing music off my Zune pass in a few while I clean and tonight I'll be watching Game of Thrones on HBO Go. The success of the market has driven this product, and I'll be buying it's successor.

So will you.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    You know what's funny?

Anyone acting like this **** storm even matters.

Every console to come out over the past decade has had immense controversy behind it, and the complaints about the X-Box one are just hilarious. Checks in once a day to make sure it is online? Heaven's no! The sheer irony of droves of people complaining about that on their smart phones and tablets and pcs on their wifi at home or at any location or on their mobile hotspot is laughable. I guarantee you Microsoft would not make a decision to put something like that there were it not industry and user base driven; when you can generate a quick report by serial number of how many xbox 360 consoles have been put online, the basis is simple. If you are not online with your xbox360 already, you will make it happen soon or for the xbox one.

The complaints about licensing and disc possession not indicating ownership? You want to know the last time there was a big **** storm about that kind of thing?

Steam.

If you really need me to elaborate on that, you have bigger problems than comprehension of the weak basis of that argument. Reselling and lending of games is not as huge an issue as people make it out to be. Oh you want to bring the latest Call of Duty over to a friend's because he doesn't have it? I guarantee you that is the minority among minorities of situations. Any of the popular game series like that rarely have gaps in ownership within social circles, because all of those little a**holes are trying to make ****ty knife kills on xbox live matches as it is.

The xbox one is barely more than a great hardware refresh of what the xbox360 has already become, a multimedia entertainment console that plays games. People already use it for video and music streaming, they use it as a set top box for uverse, or fios, or comcast and have been doing so for years already. I'm watching Netflix on mine as I type this, I'll be playing music off my Zune pass in a few while I clean and tonight I'll be watching Game of Thrones on HBO Go. The success of the market has driven this product, and I'll be buying it's successor.

So will you.

LOL!!! Nice rant. I will respond by saying, no I won't. Enjoy your PC gaming and the XBox One. Maybe you and a few others might. If the PS4 has the same thing, I will not purchase one either. I like to think that I can still do whatever I want with property I purchase. But feel free to think otherwise.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be strongly opposed to a system that needed to "check-in" once in a while, but every 24 hours isn't a long enough buffer. I've run into internet hiccups that were no fault of mine that have lasted longer than that. Not being able to play games because my net is down for a few days is too much.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Saw this on the net:

The official release date and price for Microsoft's Xbox One has been set in stone at this year's E3 conference. The company waltzed on stage and set the price, release window and policies firmly in the ground, as gamers will be able to experience the next-generation of Xbox gaming later this year during the holiday season.

The Xbox One from Microsoft's entertainment game studios will encompass advanced technology, including 8GB DDR3 RAM, with 3GB reserved for three separate operating systems. The console contains an octo-core processor and Cloud streaming technology to advance the way games are experienced and played. The system also has built-in features for accessing ESPN, sports TV, Netflix and other streaming technology for television and movie content. Additionally, gamers can stream their play-sessions using the Twitch.tv app that is always accessible from within the game.

Microsoft unveiled a line-up of brand new games, including new IP and popular sequels for the highly anticipated console. The launch of the Xbox One will take place this upcoming November and the console will retail for $499.99 in NTSC regions and €499.99 in PAL territories.

Now that the advertorial parts are done and out of the way, let me break down some truth knowledge for you: The Xbox One's policies restrict users from lending, renting or borrowing games. There is a mandatory 24 hour check-in before you're allowed to access content on the system. While an Xbox Live master account can have up to 10 family members on it, enabling them to access Xbox One games and content, any friends or other individuals outside of the house will be restricted in accessing content you purchased, unless you let them use your Xbox Live account.

Used games are possible on the Xbox One, but additional used game fees are up to publishers, and only Microsoft mandated retailers are approved to sell and trade used games.