Noob here

Options
indianarose2
indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
Hi! I'm new to SL 5x5. I started the program last week using dumbbell modifications posted by saraik2sf on eat, train, progress. I've done circuit training and some free weight training in the past. I found out about heavy lifting for women and SL by reading success stories and recommendations on the boards. As I was reading in places like eat, train, progress I started to increase the weights I was using and doing fewer reps but was not following any particular program just working opposing muscle groups. In 25 days I've lost about 5# and 5 inches at what I believe is a 20% deficit so I am pretty excited about lifting heavier! Also, I am so happy to have found other women who are doing this and would love to make some new friends who are on this same journey!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Awesome and welcome!

Just jump right in and post with us. :smile:
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Can i post just whatever dumb questions i have on the general board here? I'm not too savvy on how to use forums...I will be out here quite a bit with lots of questions, sharing how much i am loving lifting... ;) Do I search for a thread first and if it is current I just jump in and if it is an old topic start a new one? I'm going to try to do as much reading of older posts as possible to get up to speed. Thanks for your help!!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Start off by reading the stickies at the top. There is a summary and an FAQ. After reading those, feel free to post questions. :) You can also scroll through the old posts, just try to keep it on topic if you are responding to an older one.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Got it thanks! I read all of the stickies even the one that mentions that you can't really do sl5x5 with Dumbbells. Gotta start somewhere. I'm already envisioning a squat rack in my bedroom 13ab5z17a1cn.jpg
    suite workout area. Yes, it is right next to my bed so I see it every time I roll out of bed each morning.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I like to see a fellow noob! :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Do I search for a thread first and if it is current I just jump in and if it is an old topic start a new one?

jumping in is always welcome here ime. it's a really nice bunch of people . . . and the 'daily check-in thread' is especially great. you just climb on in and start reporting your workouts/thoughts/whatever, if that's what you feel like doing.

everyone's supportive, there isn't any kind of hierarchy here around noobs versus vets, and about the only frostiness i've ever noticed (and taken part in) is that people aren't especially responsive to body-shaming or fat-phobic types of value systems. i'm not talking about the idea of losing weight in itself - most of us have been a few miles in those shoes. but as a group we seem to be bad at encouraging people to beat up on themselves.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started the program yesterday. Trying to lose my last 10 pounds and recomp over the next few months through heavy lifting! I have been running since last summer and am down 43 lbs in 10 months. I have a feeling that once I progress with Strong's that I will have wished that I started lifting sooner! LOL.
  • parkerpowerlift
    Options
    Got it thanks! I read all of the stickies even the one that mentions that you can't really do sl5x5 with Dumbbells. Gotta start somewhere. I'm already envisioning a squat rack in my bedroom 13ab5z17a1cn.jpg
    suite workout area. Yes, it is right next to my bed so I see it every time I roll out of bed each morning.

JEALOUS of your home gym! That is awesome! Great idea to have it in your room. No excuses for early morning workouts, haha.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thanks all for explaining how it works and making me feel welcome! I can't wait to jump in! Sarah, I do appreciate my gym set up and hope I can progress using it but I do sometimes miss my gym membership that I left when we moved from IN to MS! As far as not lifting sooner or not doing anything sooner sometimes we just can't help not knowing and we just do what we do until we learn otherwise, right?!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Hi to you both! Welcome! This group really is the BEST! :)

In addition to checking out the sticky topics and FAQ, I'd look at the other "I'm new!" threads in this group -- some of the other relatively new people may have asked some of the same questions you have.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. We are all a bunch of encouraging and very supportive ladies.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a newbie too. Just bought a squat rack, bench and barbell plus weights from eBay and can't wait to get started. I have a long way to go though bc I am skinny and wanting to build strength and muscles.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Hi crabada & Graceious1! johtucc nice score! I'm still shopping... :-) Looking forward to getting strong also!
  • cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Newbie here too. Just on my 3rd week of stronglifts.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a relative newbie. Just started posting here last week; am on week 6 of SL. This is a great group.
  • parkerpowerlift
    Options
    Also a newbie! Third week in! :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Welcome @cindys921, @LaarainNYC and @sarah_K_parker. I am in my 6th week and really enjoying it. I hope you are too.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So many new faces around here! Welcome to all of you. I think you'll love what SL will do for you, not just in a physical sense but overall bad-*kitten* attitude!