Focusing on the process

Options
awhitley
awhitley Posts: 64 Member
I went on a ladies retreat 2 weekends ago and came back 4 lbs. heavier. No biggie...probably just water retention.

Then I let myself continue the overeating all last week and this past weekend. I started every morning off with great intentions, then basically said "to heck with it" and stuffed my face. (I don't deal with stress or crazy emotions well) I kept the 4 lbs.

I pretty much want to closet my weight gain and ignore it. I am honestly ashamed of myself because I feel like I should know myself better. I should be better prepared for stress, crazy emotions, and get away meals. I should have a game plan.

On the flip side of that is the realization that I am not perfect. I shouldn't expect myself to be. Yes, I need a game plan. Yes, I need to be more in tune with emotions I am not dealing with. In the end though, I'm still learning. I need to remember that this process is exactly that...a process.

I have found that writing it out, and admitting my imperfections helps me deal with them. It helps me recommit to the process and it helps me sort out all my negative thoughts. It gives me a clean slate.

So...what helps you stay focused on the process and not get consumed with results?

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I absolutely focus way more on the process than on the number of pounds lost or the inches lost. I do weigh in every morning, but I really don't pay much attention to the number unless it's a big milestone.

I focus on my habits. I have three everyday that I focus on, which are reflected in my daily posts here. I started doing that well before this group started. I try track my calories (and stay under my goal), get my workout done, and hit my steps. If I do those three things, I had a successful day.

It's a daily goal. Every day starts fresh and I can't change what happened yesterday. Today is the day that I can impact.

If I hit these goals regularly, I will lose weight. But my focus is on hitting my goals today.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My focus has switched to long-term, instead of how today went. After using MFP more than a year now, I know that I will continue to lose weight, will eventually reach my goal, and will maintain. 6 months ago I'm not sure I would have made that exact statement. So for me, the time it's taking to lose the 100 pounds I'm determined to lose is a good thing. I need time to develop different habits. I also know that so many things affect life, and I need to be able to adjust my food choices and increased movement goals, accordingly. If something comes up where I can't eat my normal choices, or if I go somewhere that doesn't work well with getting in exercise, I know its just a blip on the radar screen. I can eat a meal that is higher calorie than planned without feeling I have to eat the following meal at a high calorie count, or have snacks the rest of the day.

Time, IMO, is the thing that has allowed me to learn the most about changing my weight. Every day I get a do-over!

55835802.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    awhitley wrote: »
    I have found that writing it out, and admitting my imperfections helps me deal with them. It helps me recommit to the process and it helps me sort out all my negative thoughts. It gives me a clean slate.

So...what helps you stay focused on the process and not get consumed with results?

Something really similar, actually.

When I started this over a year ago I had a list of goals and I started a journal (on my computer but not online). I would write about struggles with food and exercise, my goals for the day or week, think through why I wanted to eat before eating (if not at meal time), assess the day, and also comment on other things that were on my mind (I used it as a spiritual journal too last Lent). It was really helpful in allowing me to see imperfections as--as you say--part of a process that was making me stronger as opposed to failure.

I'm trying to return to writing in it regularly, as I'd fallen off some.

I also find it helpful to set really specific shorter-term challenges for myself (with the idea of creating some new habits) or change up my goals or methods some.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Process is what I focus on too. This is year 4 for me in MFP so I did a total reset on weight lost. The 60 I lost before just doesn't count anymore. It's that last 30 that is giving me the most trouble. This challenge started me but my process almost derailed me. I started at 1450 calories..exercise 4-5 times per week and upped the protein and cause I am hypothryroid got 30 g fiber. At first I lost 1.5 slowly which is ok with me but then it escalated up 6 pounds. Now there was no way I ate that many calories in that short of time...So I stuck it out and focused on how much stronger and more flexible I felt and now am happy to report my metabolism has adjusted to loosing again and at least I am 1 lb down from posted starting weight...but in the course of this journey my body decided to gain 6 and loose 7. It hasn't been pretty, but I think I am on the right road and am really happy with the possibility of loosing weight at 1450 calories. Now to focus on the process and make it happen!
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with weightloss or any other goal is people want to skip the process because it is the hard part that requires work. This group has definitely been a true challenge for me. I am still young, I'll be 18 on Saturday, but I was never taught proper eating. Now we never ate extremely terrible like some people unfortunately do, but I love carbs and never really learned portion control. I could always get away with it though because I was very active and always playing sports, but about 5 years ago my knee started hurting and didn't really stop hurting every day until recently. So as you can imagine I am very new to this process. I am also the type of person to beat myself up about eating junk and not exercise just out of laziness.

To answer your question awhitley when we first began this journey I was extremely frustrated because my weight was not going down even though I noticed myself getting stronger and in better shape. I have stopped weighing every day and focus on feeding myself better and exercising every chance I get, even if it is just some push-ups and sit ups. As a religious person I have also some devotionals to give me inspiration. To focus specifically on the process I keep in mind my long term goals and how I can help meet them today, this week, this month, and throughout the year.

I hope all of these wonderful answers before me help you awhitley. Good luck on your journey!