Jefferson Deadlift??

Keladelphia
Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member

Not exactly a Crossfit question but has anyone had experience consistently adding Jefferson DL’s into their programming? My box runs a workshop once a month where we do unique lifts and other strange things for fun, we tried the Jefferson Deadlift yesterday and after doing it I really think there might be some benefit to adding it consistently. I pulled 235# for three easily where 230# is my 1RM for traditional DL’s with no soreness this morning (which I usually always have after doing any form of DL's). Perhaps it could help me get my DL numbers up, help with grip strength etc.? I haven't seen too much on it so I was just wondering what, if any, others experiences are with this lift.

*Also, couldnt help thinking "movin on up" every time I pulled the bar which made it more fun!

JeffersonDL.png

JeffersonDLTop.png

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I’ve never seen these. My initial thoughts on this, my arms aren’t long enough (I’ll hit my crotch before I lock out), making this a lower back injury ready to happen.
  • Keladelphia
    Everyone had the same thought regarding the crotch thing and no one did. It actually felt more like a squat than a DL with virtually no pressure on the back.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    I would invest in a cup before I tried it...just in case. :p
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    I'm really surprised you could pull more this way than with a standard DL. Have you had your coaches look at your DL form? I do have an online friend who has been doing these instead of regular DL due to back pain, but she does them at a lighter weight than her regular DLs.

What kind of soreness do you get after DLs? I personally think the semi-random nature of CF programming leads to a lot more soreness than necessary; I don't get sore from DLs at all because I do them regularly, about once a week. If I did them once a month I'd be sore every single time.
  • Keladelphia
    edited March 2015
    The coach that introduced them to us loves traditional strong man lifts and said its not unusual for someone to be able to pull up to 15% more than their traditional DL 1RM with the Jefferson (I dont know if this is actually true). My coaches have reviewed my form on traditional DL's and taped it; we have definitely made some small adjustments to my form but haven't found any major fault. For some reason it just felt like a more natural pull for me. There's very little difference between my 1RM back squat and my 1RM DL so I would say there must be some form issue even if its not easily visible)

As for the soreness it's just a bit of back soreness the next day (I wouldn't say its anymore than DOMS from anything else). We also do deadlifts at least once a week. I wasn't really thinking of it as a replacement to traditional DL's but more of an addition to see if it could provide benefit to some of my other power lifts (squat, DL etc.)
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Maybe it's just the one photo, but I'm wondering if it's harder to keep a tight core in the setup position on these than a traditional DL. This guy looks sort of...floppy in the setup which makes me wonder about injury risk.

I'm assuming you switch which hand leads when you do these?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    kozinskey wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the one photo, but I'm wondering if it's harder to keep a tight core in the setup position on these than a traditional DL. This guy looks sort of...floppy in the setup which makes me wonder about injury risk.

I'm assuming you switch which hand leads when you do these?

Yes, when I saw his positioning on the bar in the first picture, it seemed awkward, which is why I was concerned about back injury. But I can see where you can drop your butt further down and keep your back stable.