New Strava App update - Add photo's directly into the app...

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I've just downloaded the update for the Strava app & you can now add photo's from your ride straight into the app as opposed to having to upload them via Instagram...

Just thought I'd pass this one as I am aware some people don't like the idea of using Instagram?

The write up from iTunes:

"What's New in Version 4.4
Now it’s easier than ever to add photos and see your progress on Strava.

Strava Photos makes it easier than ever to share your adventures.
● Snap photos on the road or the trail, and upload directly to your Strava activities.
● Take as many pictures as you’d like, and post your favorites after you’re done.

Improved Leaderboard Filters and Segment Efforts dimensionalize your progress.
● Track your historical progress on any segment with the new My Recent Results view.
● See how you stack up with age and weight group leaderboard filters for Premium members."

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    yeah - i noticed that yesterday on the Android version as well... haven't tried it as, well, frankly, where I went for a walk just wasn't all that photogenic...
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice one, didn't realise the app did that now, weirdly you can't do that in the web version, but doing it via the app isn't a bad option, save from flickr app to phone and then add via the Strava app, tried it with my peaky district ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/274785877

It's also worth noting now you don't have to use Instagram you can add panoramic pics in too now.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I need some sort of solution for carrying the little Fuji X-M1 on the bike - its just a little bit big for a shirt-pocket with the 16-50 zoom fitted - might be okay with one of the fixed length "pancake" lenses but even then it'd need some sort of case to make it weatherproof... My first thought was a bar-bag - but when I dug out the old Carradice it weighed half as much as the Dolan (and secured using a rather worrying (for carbon bars) wire fastener) so for the "posh bike" that's pretty much out of contention. Might have to look at sourcing an appropriately sized Lowepro case and doing a few DIY modifications strappage wise...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well, tried the "attach photo" option on the Android, and it worked pretty well (considering my phone is a really crappy Sony D2005 that has a camera that's out of the dark ages... what it DOES have though is a really nice RDS scanning/tuning FM radio which is brilliant for keeping me company for the occasional 4-5 hour walk...)
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I need some sort of solution for carrying the little Fuji X-M1 on the bike - its just a little bit big for a shirt-pocket with the 16-50 zoom fitted - might be okay with one of the fixed length "pancake" lenses but even then it'd need some sort of case to make it weatherproof...

I found it not too bad when I had winter gear on as I was well padded and didn't really feel it poking me in the back but with the Summer gear its a bit more pokey so carry it in a light back pack, will be easier on the touring bike though as I'll have a nice big bag over the wheel to carry stuff like that in.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Strava app, tried it with my peaky district ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/274785877

My jaw dropped. My GAWD!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I need some sort of solution for carrying the little Fuji X-M1 on the bike - its just a little bit big for a shirt-pocket with the 16-50 zoom fitted - might be okay with one of the fixed length "pancake" lenses but even then it'd need some sort of case to make it weatherproof...

I found it not too bad when I had winter gear on as I was well padded and didn't really feel it poking me in the back but with the Summer gear its a bit more pokey so carry it in a light back pack, will be easier on the touring bike though as I'll have a nice big bag over the wheel to carry stuff like that in.

yeah - I have "issues" with carrying stuff on my back on the bike - can just about cope with clothing and food in the shirt pockets, but I really can't "do" backpacks on the drop bar bike - can barely cope with the camelback on the MTB to be honest... In the past I found that the best solution for a camera was in a handlebar bag - i've still got a wonderful Carradice black cotton-duck set of matching luggage for the touring bike, but the bar-bag relies on a kind of bowden cable arrangement to stop it wobbling - with the cable around the handlebar and stem - NOT something that i'm about to do on a FSA Team Issue Carbon cockpit (even if I use a section of brake cable outer to provide some cushioning it'd still cheese-wire it's way through the bars eventually I reckon)