Zip to Charge HR?

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
I'm considering getting the Charge HR, I currently own the zip. I have a couple questions:

Can I still use my zip when I don't want to wear something on my wrist (for example, when dressed up for a wedding or something)

Will the charge be as accurate as the zip if I don't swing my arms? I love the accuracy of the zip being on my torso, but when I walk my dog my left arm doesn't move much.

I know the HR isn't as accurate as a chest strap, but chest straps don't ever seem to work for me anyway (it can't ever seem to get a reading and tells me I'm dead), but would it be anywhere close to accurate for importing to MFP for TDEE averages? If the HR isn't accurate enough for that, what is the reason for buying the HR?

Thanks!

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, FitBit does not currently support easily switching from one device to another. I think they're working on it, because you're not the only one to want to. As an alternative, you can do what I've started doing when pushing a shopping cart. I turn off the HR function and put my Charge HR in my pocket. (I tried leaving the HR on and wearing it in my bra, with the sensors against the skin, but the readings were obviously too high.)

You don't need to swing your arms for it to detect steps. I get steps reliably unless I'm holding onto something that is very stationary relative to the ground - like a shopping cart. Then it detects some steps, but not all. Plus, when I'm pushing a shopping cart, my heart rate is usually too low to be in the exercise range (stores generally discourage running ;) ) so it is going to be computing calories based on steps. Walking a dog should be no problem, the acceleration of your steps will still be detected at your wrist, even though you're holding a leash, and if you get your heart rate into the exercise range (or you put it in exercise mode), your heart rate will be used for the calorie computation anyway.

For me, the calories that my Charge HR reports to MFP seem to be very accurate. However, I never logged my food accurately enough when I had my One to compare its calorie accuracy to my Charge HR's.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ^ pushing a shopping cart doesn't record steps for me, and I've seen others say the same thing.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    ^ pushing a shopping cart doesn't record steps for me, and I've seen others say the same thing.

Pushing a shopping cart only records *some* steps for me, and probably only when I'm remembering to hold on lightly. That's why I have started to turn off the HR function and then put it in my pocket when I go shopping.

I haven't tried confirming that it records steps while walking a dog - don't have a dog - but I do lots of other things while walking around that keep my arm relatively still with respect to my body and it records those steps just fine.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    So what is the advantage of the Charge HR over the zip?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Potential for your cardio to get better calorie burn estimate from HR calculations rather than step calculations that would have required manual correction on Zip.
    Like rowing, biking, elliptical, stair machine, ect.

And ditto's to above, steps isn't from the arm swing. The device is trying to sense your foot impacts despite the arm swing.
    On in the case of no arm swing.
    But hand being held rock steady on something and wrist not moving a bit - bad step count.

The accuracy of the HR readings, and therefore calorie burn estimates, seems to vary on person and the workout.

Seems to be just fine when it's not used for calorie burn - during daily life and low HR.

Some say they see high HR's just as with HRM tested at same time.
    Others say it never gets as high.
    Some say it moves too much (spin bike falling down arm) and misses sections of HR giving false low average.

Sadly that part varies, so won't know until you try. So buying in person in store to test first might be worth it.