Can I run when I'm sick? :(

Options
dbienz
dbienz Posts: 188 Member
ADVICE PLEASE!

Yesterday I had no voice and a sore throat. I thought it was from losing my voice over the weekend at a volleyball tournament. Today I woke up and feel like crap. Sore throat, ear ache, fatigue, cold all the time. I have my first half marathon on the 12th of April and am afraid to miss any of my scheduled training runs.

Can you run when you feel sick? I don't want to push myself too hard and I know a lot of my "energy" is being focused into my immune system right now but I also don't want to be ill-prepared in two weeks. What should I do?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I would rest. You are going to gain more out of that and getting better than you would from another couple of runs. You've been doing months of training at this point I assume, and missing a couple of runs isn't going to leave you ill prepared.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Chill out - no need to run if you're truly sick. Missing a couple of training runs isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. It is better for you to get well before the race so that you can do your best.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would rest. You are going to gain more out of that and getting better than you would from another couple of runs. You've been doing months of training at this point I assume, and missing a couple of runs isn't going to leave you ill prepared.

I have been training for months and ran a 15K 3 weeks ago in record time. I guess I'm just nervous. Its my first half marathon and there's a lot of nerves :smiley:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would rest. You would rather be healthy and miss a few training runs than still be dealing with fighting a cold or something the week leading up to the 1/2 marathon.

Good luck on the 1/2!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I will echo everyone else and say rest. Trust the training you put in and race day mojo will get you there. Your body will benefit more from the rest than beating it up in a weakened state. If you are really sick, and it sounds like you are. I'm almost never sick except maybe an annual cold. My rule is that if the sick (cold) is in my head, run. If it's in my chest, rest.