Weight madness in week 1

Hello

Just thought I would post this as I have just started minimal strong lifts at home, and I did my first russion kettlebell class last night as this is what has happened to my weight so far in the last week.

Have my goal in MFP set to lose 0.5lb a week, and I have said I am sedentary - and I eat back most of my exercise cals (I walk 5-8miles a day, but sit for work)

Started 133.2 - and eating at a deficit

Day after 1st session (my legs/my bum/ the pain) 135.2
4 days later 133.8 (2nd sessions complete)
Russian Kettlebell class - 1st one and my form must have been beyond shocking as I have strained my lower back really badly from incorrect form) weight this morning 136.2

I know its going to take a few weeks at least for everything to settle down - I am just looking to "get stronger" but just thought I'd post incase anyone's else s weight was going mental in their first week.

Also quite liberating that I know these fluctuation are to do with working out and not food. Was trying to not weight myself but I actually think that fact I know I have worked hard/worked out and the scale is changing is letting me know my body is reacting in some way to what I am doing. And that can only be a good thing?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    What do you mean "the first week"? My weight still does that after 4 months. :laugh:

I try to only weigh myself now after 2 full rest days, to get a close estimate. Otherwise the constant water/glycogen/whatever fluctuations just make me crazy. Welcome to weight training. The scale won't be your friend, except to maybe show you an overall trend over some months' time. :drinker:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    ^^ true dat.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Cheers! and thanks for the heads up as that weigh in day sounds sensible to me.

Got my 4th session today and can't wait.

Bring on the weights :-)

The girl that took my kettle bell class was so strong and she lifts heavy , total gave me big time lady inspiration.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    One week into SL5x5, I gained TWELVE pounds...that's approximately 10% of my body weight! I felt like a water balloon about to pop. And then a few days later: WOOOOSSSHHHH. All gone. Even though I knew that it wasn't unusual, it still freaked me out a bit. Just part of the process, I guess. :)
  • inkysmurf
    Cheers :-)
    I knew it would be part of the long tern plan - and the amount of pics about on MFP of ladies who lift and just look amazing - is the best motivator ever.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    I have gained 10 pounds since starting Stronglifts eight weeks ago. Prior to that point I had maintained a 55 pound weight loss for 2 1/2 years. It's more than a little disconcerting but my clothes still fit. My reasons for starting Stronglifts is the premise of the lifts (doing heavy compound lifts in motions that are natural for the body and applicable to real life work and play situations). Of course I wanted a more shapely behind as well. Stronglifts works! My only complaint is the large water weight gain and my waist increased by 1". I have a rectangular shape and my waistline is naturally larger so that has me bummed out a little.
  • inkysmurf
    Hey Kitkat - 8 weeks of doing stronglifts is awesome and well done on your fab loss!

- and I bet you have amazing lefiting no's - thats whats exciting me the most - every week lifting more that I have before (that and the promise of an awesome bum!)

The weight thing is weird to get your head round as its so drilled into you every where - weight less, be lighter - not lift heavy, look great.

It all about the small numbers in magazines! - not the big numbers you can lift. I was going to try and not weight my self (major fail) and now I am amazed at how much weight fluncuates when you lift, when you rest - not changed my eating so I know the scale is reacting to what I'm doing fitness wise.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I have gained 10 pounds since starting Stronglifts eight weeks ago. Prior to that point I had maintained a 55 pound weight loss for 2 1/2 years. It's more than a little disconcerting but my clothes still fit. My reasons for starting Stronglifts is the premise of the lifts (doing heavy compound lifts in motions that are natural for the body and applicable to real life work and play situations). Of course I wanted a more shapely behind as well. Stronglifts works! My only complaint is the large water weight gain and my waist increased by 1". I have a rectangular shape and my waistline is naturally larger so that has me bummed out a little.

This inch gain around the waist is atypical--are you sure you are measuring your *intake* accurately? Unless you are eating at a surplus, your weight shouldn't be increasing in this consistent way, either. I would check your logging (i.e., start weighing your food, if you havent' been, and track absolutely everything).
  • kitkat4141

This inch gain around the waist is atypical--are you sure you are measuring your *intake* accurately? Unless you are eating at a surplus, your weight shouldn't be increasing in this consistent way, either. I would check your logging (i.e., start weighing your food, if you havent' been, and track absolutely everything).

I log everything and had it pretty much down to a science. I did go on vacation and could not log because we were rafting the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and had no control over the food. But, the majority of the gain happened after we came back and I started lifting in earnest. I also take spinning classes 3-4 times a week for cardio.

As for my 1" gain in the waistline, it was literally overnight. 29" on one day and 30" the next. And it has stayed there ever since.

I am eating at a deficit right now to see what happens in the next week or two. I like how I look but would like to have just a tad bit more room in my clothes.

As for my lifting numbers, well let's just say they are heavy for me, LOL! The interesting thing about Stronglifts is that I am able to do 15# dumbbell curls after not having done any for months. And when I used to do dumbbell curls I could never go beyond 12#! I am a mature, ahem, woman and at 56 years old am currently lifting 100# on barbell squats, 70# pound bench press, 60# Pendlay rows, 45# Overhead Press, and 105# barbell deadlifts. I had my BFP measured in a BodPod a few months ago prior to the 10 pound gain and was 23%. It will be interesting to see what the next test will show especially since I have gained weight.
  • inkysmurf
    Kitkat - they are amazing no's!!! x
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member

I dont know... when retain water, my measurments go up. Legs, belly whatever is sore... I agree about the weight if it's increasing slowly but in a consistent way, check your logging
  • bumblebums

I log everything and had it pretty much down to a science. I did go on vacation and could not log because we were rafting the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and had no control over the food. But, the majority of the gain happened after we came back and I started lifting in earnest. I also take spinning classes 3-4 times a week for cardio.

As for my 1" gain in the waistline, it was literally overnight. 29" on one day and 30" the next. And it has stayed there ever since.

I am eating at a deficit right now to see what happens in the next week or two. I like how I look but would like to have just a tad bit more room in my clothes.

As for my lifting numbers, well let's just say they are heavy for me, LOL! The interesting thing about Stronglifts is that I am able to do 15# dumbbell curls after not having done any for months. And when I used to do dumbbell curls I could never go beyond 12#! I am a mature, ahem, woman and at 56 years old am currently lifting 100# on barbell squats, 70# pound bench press, 60# Pendlay rows, 45# Overhead Press, and 105# barbell deadlifts. I had my BFP measured in a BodPod a few months ago prior to the 10 pound gain and was 23%. It will be interesting to see what the next test will show especially since I have gained weight.
    [/quote]

Okay, then I would guess that you made an error when you got the previous reading that was 1" lower than your current one, or you might have been atypically dehydrated that day. It happens. This is why we take multiple repeated measurements of both weight and girth to keep track of progress.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

I can gain an inch in the waist just from bloat on any given day. I wouldn't call a gain in that area atypical unless it never drops off.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member

in the beginning of a program like SL, most of us gained weight... retained water... it a part of the process....and for some its discouraging and leads them to drop the program.... I can testify that once the weight/inches started falling off,and I think it was about the 7-8 week mark, it was like melting butter... and my body recomposition is truly amazing... that said, strong lifts will not change a box into a circle... it will slim the box, make the box's shape more defined and overall make the box look & feel stronger...but it will never mke the box a circle....
  • bumblebums

I can gain an inch in the waist just from bloat on any given day. I wouldn't call a gain in that area atypical unless it never drops off.

OP claims it never dropped off. Which is why I suggested that her original lower measurement might have been an error (just as likely as her gaining inches around the waist doing what she's been doing)..
  • kitkat4141
    I use the tape measure several times per week ever since I ditched the scale over one year ago. So the 1" increase is real. I'm just going to keep on lifting and eat at a slight deficit for now. It is so strange to be able to gain strength and look visibly more muscular but also have that muffin top back, LOL. It will all work out in the end because I do this for my health and to be able to keep up with my very athletic husband. Looking good is just the icing on the cake. Thanks ladies!