Calling all fall Marathoners!

Options
Hello!
I am running my first marathon on 10/12 in Baltimore. I ran the half last year, and liked this course the most out of all races i've done (9 half marathons) so I upgraded this year from the half to the full.

I'm looking for more friends that are starting thier training journey about now! I could use the movitavation and the running talk!

Send me a request, or let me know and I'll friend you!

thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm running Baltimore too. It will be the 2nd time I've run it (4th marathon overall). Are you training with any of the local running groups? If so, I'll probably "run" into you at some point.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I really want to try to run the 20 miler on the course. I am in Hagerstown which about an hour away from Baltimore, so getting there at 8am for a training run will be a bit of a push, but I'd really like to do it. I wonder if they have the dates of those out yet.

I've heard that the first half of the marathon is better than the 2nd. I didn't think the half was too hilly but I had just run the worst (hilliest) half ever, the weekend before that, so it might have just been perception. How do you like the full course?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Me! Not in Baltimore, but I've got the ING Hartford Marathon also on 10/12. I'm using Hal Higdon't Novice 2 plan with the modification of long run on Sunday and xt on Saturday.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for the Half Moon Bay International Marathon on 9/29; my training program started last week. I'll send you a friend request.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I really want to try to run the 20 miler on the course. I am in Hagerstown which about an hour away from Baltimore, so getting there at 8am for a training run will be a bit of a push, but I'd really like to do it. I wonder if they have the dates of those out yet.

I've heard that the first half of the marathon is better than the 2nd. I didn't think the half was too hilly but I had just run the worst (hilliest) half ever, the weekend before that, so it might have just been perception. How do you like the full course?

I didn't think it was bad at all. I kept waiting for the bad hills to come and they never came. Granted, I train in the hilly sections of Northern Baltimore County, so I'm used to the hills. There were a few hills in the beginning, a nice flat stretch through the middle, then some hills before a nice, downhill finish. Running through the zoo was neat, but not what I expected. I thought we would be going through the exhibits, but we were in the back area of the zoo, but they have zoo keepers bring out some animals for us to see as we ran by. Pretty neat.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That's good! I really liked all the spectators in baltimore! I don't know about the first half, but there was never a place that there wasn't someone cheering for you, and I really wanted that in my first marathon. I've run some half's that you were literally by yourself running on country roads, and not even sure if you were on the course anymore (specifically Chambersburg Half) and that's not really my cup of tea.

The zoo sounds like running through Hershey for their half. We ran through one little tiny section of the park. It really wasn't that exciting (nor was the course in general).
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'll be running Ft. Myers inaugural 11/10, Space Coast 12/1, and Clearwater in Jan 2014. There are several 1/2s thrown in the mix too. :smile:
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Running Chicago on 10/13....starting training...which can be a bit daunting. Looking forward to Chicago though...will be my 2nd full and it supposed to be relative flat. I live (and train) in Florida...so that helps!! Feel free to add me.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm also running Chicago on 10/13. I'm in week 4 of training on the Train Like a Mother Finish it plan. Its a 20 week plan but due to traveling i allowed for an extra week. It is my first marathon. I'm also running rock and roll las vegas in november. signed up for the full but depending on my time in chicago i may drop to the 1/2.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm running Ventura in September and Mesquite Tri-States in December with a couple of Half's in-between. Good luck with your first Full.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first marathon on October 19, in Delaware.
  • utrunner
    utrunner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will be running the St. George marathon the first week in October. It will be my 14th marathon over all.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'll be running SOMETHING in the fall but I'm not sure what. I'm on vacation and haven't chosen my races yet. I'm aiming for Texas races (and usually run trail races) but I'll try to do one per month, starting late August,early September. I start training for fall August 1st. I'm happy for any recommendations, if anyone has a fall trail marathon (or longer) they like in Texas
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Running the Cowbell in St Charles, Missouri (my hometown) on 10/6 and the STL RocknRoll on 10/27.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'll be running Ft. Myers inaugural 11/10, Space Coast 12/1, and Clearwater in Jan 2014. There are several 1/2s thrown in the mix too. :smile:

ha ha, You're as bad as me! full of races!
  • tniemeyer
    tniemeyer Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm doing my first full 10/13 in Chicago. Training starts tomorrow!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am running my first full in Bar Harbor, Maine on October 20. Training starts one week from tomorrow. Can't wait and terrified all at the same time. Utilizing Hal Higdon. I have used his programs for many races and he has never let me down.
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed up yet, but I'll probably be running the Seattle Marathon in the fall. A buddy of mine just moved there and it will be his first.

If my wife doesn't approve the travel budget, I'll find something closer to home :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed up yet, but I'll probably be running the Seattle Marathon in the fall. A buddy of mine just moved there and it will be his first.

If my wife doesn't approve the travel budget, I'll find something closer to home :)
    If it helps there are 4 marathons that weekend, if you do multiples it might help justify the travel expense
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Full in Niagara Falls in October. I sent you a friend request :)