Options
2»

Replies

• ChristaNorris
    ChristaNorris Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    smesche wrote: »
    Hello!

Any nursing mom's out there? I need to get myself back in shape, but I am so worried about messing up my milk production with cutting calories. I already have issues pumping and I have to supplement with formula while my daughter is at daycare. Anyone else attempting to lose those baby pounds and continue to nurse?

Hi there! I've been nursing my third for 6 months (tomorrow). I started with Weight Watchers, but switched to MFP a few weeks ago. I've been eating around 1620 calories and burning between 700-1000 six days a week. I pump once a day (approx 8 ounces) and freeze it. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. So far I've lost just shy of 38lbs. GL!!
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    smesche wrote: »
    Hello!

Any nursing mom's out there? I need to get myself back in shape, but I am so worried about messing up my milk production with cutting calories. I already have issues pumping and I have to supplement with formula while my daughter is at daycare. Anyone else attempting to lose those baby pounds and continue to nurse?

Hi there! I've been nursing my third for 6 months (tomorrow). I started with Weight Watchers, but switched to MFP a few weeks ago. I've been eating around 1620 calories and burning between 700-1000 six days a week. I pump once a day (approx 8 ounces) and freeze it. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. So far I've lost just shy of 38lbs. GL!!

Wow! That's awesome. Congrats!

When you say you burn between 700-1000 calories 6 days a week, do you mean that you burn that much EACH day?

• nunezim
    nunezim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kjwaggon wrote: »
    I have a 4 week old daughter, baby #2, and I have about 5-6lbs to lose to get back to pre-pregnancy, but was about 10lbs over my ideal weight then, so trying to lose 15 total - while exclusively breastfeeding. For starters, I added 500 calories to my daily goal to protect my milk, and will adjust that as needed if my production changes or weight doesn't come off. It's definitely frustrating to be CONSTANTLY hungry, but what I have found is that I'm still the same level of ravenous if I eat 2,000 or 3,000 calories - I've read that the pro lactation hormone messes with
    Miche wrote: »
    I add about 400 calories each day (isn't it weird that this site doesn't have a calorie option for nursing moms??) through the exercise tab, and it hasn't impacted my milk. I also drink a ton of water!

How do you add your calories from breastfeeding am not getting it. My total intake is about 1800 cals but should ibe subtracting from exercise 500 cals?
  • kjwaggon
    kjwaggon Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Myfitnesspal and other calorie calculators said I would lose at my desired rate at 1500 calories - so in the Goals section of MFP, I manually increased my daily calorie target to 2,000 so that I would eat 500 calories to make the baby's milk, and 1500 for me. So far, this formula has lead to the desired result of losing about a pound a week.

Another way to do this would be to put in 500 calories worth of exercise each day, but the above made more sense to me.