*WEEK 8 FRIDAY

40 On the other side of the lake the crowds welcomed Jesus, because they had been waiting for him. 41 Then a man named Jairus, a leader of the local synagogue, came and fell at Jesus’ feet, pleading with him to come home with him. 42 His only daughter, who was about twelve years old, was dying.

As Jesus went with him, he was surrounded by the crowds. 43 A woman in the crowd had suffered for twelve years with constant bleeding, and she could find no cure. 44 Coming up behind Jesus, she touched the fringe of his robe. Immediately, the bleeding stopped.

45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked.

Everyone denied it, and Peter said, “Master, this whole crowd is pressing up against you.”

46 But Jesus said, “Someone deliberately touched me, for I felt healing power go out from me.” 47 When the woman realized that she could not stay hidden, she began to tremble and fell to her knees in front of him. The whole crowd heard her explain why she had touched him and that she had been immediately healed. 48 “Daughter,” he said to her, “your faith has made you well. Go in peace.”

49 While he was still speaking to her, a messenger arrived from the home of Jairus, the leader of the synagogue. He told him, “Your daughter is dead. There’s no use troubling the Teacher now.”

50 But when Jesus heard what had happened, he said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith, and she will be healed.”

51 When they arrived at the house, Jesus wouldn’t let anyone go in with him except Peter, John, James, and the little girl’s father and mother. 52 The house was filled with people weeping and wailing, but he said, “Stop the weeping! She isn’t dead; she’s only asleep.”

53 But the crowd laughed at him because they all knew she had died. 54 Then Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, “My child, get up!” 55 And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up! Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat. 56 Her parents were overwhelmed, but Jesus insisted that they not tell anyone what had happened.

Replies

• MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    I wonder why Jesus instructed them not to tell anyone what had happened?

Lord, please help me to have faith in you.
  • flowergirl45
    flowergirl45 Posts: 47 Member
    I asked my hubbie because our pastor just talked about this. His memory is better than mine.
    This was to prevent the people from making Jesus a King of an earthly kingdom. The kingdom of God is not of this world.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    I wonder why Jesus instructed them not to tell anyone what had happened?

There were instances in the bible where Jesus told those He healed not to mention what He did and even quieted the demons He casted out of people. The demons knew immediately who He truly was. Jesus wanted time for His ministry to be complete. If word got out too quickly, His death would have been much quicker. The Pharisees would have still been looking through their "natural/fleshly" eyes and not understanding that Jesus came to fulfil the law.

Jesus also being concerned for His ministry didn't want people to see Him as just a healer or a miracle worker, He also spoke words and often taught while healing. He wanted them to focus on His words and not just the healing part. By having faith and believing in what was being taught, their broken spiritual lives could be restored and not just the physical part.

There was one man that Jesus did ask that he go back to his family and tell what wonderful things that God did for him. However this man was a Gentile. The Gentiles were not expecting a Messiah like the Jews. So, if he went back and spreaded the good news, it would have been a great way to open His ministry up in that area since salvation is for everyone. Like flowergirl said below, the Jews were looking to make the Messiah that was foretold to come, a king. They wanted to crown him and they were looking for physical deliverance from the Roman government; however they didn't understand that when Jesus came it was for spiritual deliverance that will definitely outweigh the physical deliverance.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    OBSERVATION
    The act of faith this woman with the issue of blood had has been used many times in teachings and sermons today. Her faith represents many struggles people have had to face and even will face. I spoke on this woman during a women's ministry event and had a chance to study her. It is amazing to understand how this woman moved past the obstacle of how women were viewed in their culture, how they could not come outside in the town without a man/husband with them, how they had to be quiet and not speak while out, how even though she was considered unclean she wasn't supposed to be around or touch others for a certain period of time. This woman went to doctors however she wasn't healed. She was just that STRONG in heart, STRONG in faith, STRONG in determination that she was going to see Jesus on that day. She was determined enough to look past those things that could have kept her back. She could have said, no...I better not since I am unclean or I am not supposed to go out, etc. She made it up in her mind that enough was enough and she was going to get her healing...her blessing...her deliverance. She moved past the people in the crowd, touching those as she passed. I honestly believed she had tunnel vision the moment she left her home knowing that Jesus would be in town and that she was going to see Him and touch Him for her healing.

This is just how we are to be with our situations. We are to know that when we pray, we are "touching the hem of His garment" so to speak. We are giving it to Him to allow His will to be done. We are to have tunnel vision just like the woman and not let ANYTHING hinder us from getting to where we need to be or receiving our blessing. That means even "doubt." When we doubt, we are taking it back from God. Sometimes, deliverance comes instantly but then there are times when God will come in His time; which means it is the perfect time for us. God knows us better than we know ourselves. So thankful to have a Father such as that. This is the main reason why I have placed my life into His hands.

APPLICATION
    Have faith to know without a shadow of doubt that I am covered under the blood of Jesus Christ. Anything that I need is taken care of. All I have to do is have faith and believe that it shall be done.

PRAYER
    Father, I thank you for your Son Jesus Christ. I thank you for being covered under the Blood. I have given my life to you knowing full well that you will indeed take care of all my needs. I thank you for that right now and ask that you continue to watch over me and my family. I ask that those that don't know you will have a mind to want to know you. Bring them to you Lord. I ask that if any women on here that may have that same request, bless them right now. In the name of Jesus CHrist, Amen.
  • MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Thanks for the insight, ladies - that makes a lot of sense!