What method did you use?

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
My son is almost 6 months and has been sleeping in his swing since before he was 2 months old because he hated the bassinet. I know we have let it go on too long but he sleeps amazing it in so we thought "why not?"

Till now...I'm sure he's at least 18 lbs and his swings only have a 25 lb weight limit and I know he still has a while before he reaches it but we still want to get him out before then so it doesn't have to be such an abrupt change. Good thing is, he doesn't have to have the motion going so that will make it a little easier.

We've just started trying to put him in his crib a couple nights ago but he just plays and plays then starts crying and we're not sure about trying the CIO method, I think I would feel more comfortable with the Ferber Method than just letting him cry his little heart out. A couple times I have let him fall asleep on me then have put him in there and he has slept a couple hours but wakes up crying and we put him in his swing and try again the next night. That's probably not the best way but I thought maybe if we can just get him more used to sleeping in it we can eventually put him in there on his own to fall asleep since he's always fell asleep on his own in his swings. I think if he were to realize he can sprawl out and sleep in different ways I think he'd really like it.

Here's my dilemma - we have a one bedroom house so his crib is in our bedroom so I cannot put Jaxon in there for naps because my husband works graveyard so he's sleeping during the day.I was thinking maybe trying to get him to nap on the couch instead of his swing during the day. I could try the pack n play but I don't want to confuse him with that and his crib. AHHHH!! lol

Thoughts? Advice? How did y'all transition your little ones from one thing to another?

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Jordan slept in her swing a lot too because of her nasal trouble and it was great she loved it and slept fantastic but our swing has a 20lb limit so I transitioned her over cold turkey and waited it out. I do not let her cry it out because she is still to young. I had some restless nights it was hard at first where she would sleep through the night in her swing she would be up every 3 hours in the crib. It took a couple of weeks she moves a lot in her sleep so when she would hit the sides she would wake up now she doesn't wake up when she hits the sides of the crib. Her crib is also in our bedroom and its tough I am moving her out shortly because she stirs everytime we get into bed. Unfortunately I do not have a magical answer I was zombie mommy for awhile. She sleeps through the night now (great now that I say that she will get up) and when she is at her sitters she naps in a pack in play with no issues. I still from time to time on the weekends let her nap in her swing I didn't just take it away (both my kids loved the swing) and I will continue to use it till the weight limit

I am guilty of rocking Jordan to sleep and then putting her in the crib I used to put my son in awake I haven't tried that with her yet. Hubby and I are working on it we started telling her its night night time at around 8pm and she seems to be understanding because shortly after she yawns and starts rubbing her eyes. Like tonight I put her in the crib when she was still groggy. For my son what worked for him and the crib was the aquarium until he was 5 he always had a moving nightlight of animals and they helped him sleep especially if there was music. He will kill me for telling you this but he is 9 and he still can't sleep in complete darkness he has to have the hall light on although he won't admit it he just tells me he forgets to turn it off on his way to bed.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think the pack and play would confuse him. I would think it would be good for him to get used to not sleeping in the swing, even during the day. As for advice, I"m not sure, I guess we just got lucky. Miles has always slept in his cradle then crib at night, and used to nap a lot during the day in his swing. Hang in there and just keep trying, sounds like you're on your way!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We are in the transition process right now, and it's tough! I was going to try to let him cry it out, but all that did was stress me out...and it didn't work. Now, we go through his bedtime routine (bath, food, story, song, prayer), and then I put him in his crib...wide awake or not...and let him lay there while I read or do work on the other side of the room in the rocking chair. If he can see me, he doesn't get all worked up. Each night, I'm trying to leave a little sooner before he falls asleep....it's to the point that he does okay if I leave when he's about 85% asleep. I wouldn't say we have had huge success...he still wakes up a couple of times each night acting like he's hungry (although I think he just wakes up and wants Mom), but we are making some progress....last night, he slept for a 4 and a half hour chunk before waking. Good luck with your boy! Ours must have very close birthdays...mine will be 6 months old on the 19th.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    can u move the crib out by the couch so he sleeps there during naps and then work it in for his bedtime too?? I wouldn't recommend the the naps on the couch.. they roll over and unless you will be watching him the entire time he naps it's not a safe place for his naps. At that age not sure what swing u have but my kids would sit up and i felt like they would fall out of there leaning over. It scared me to leave them in there, so swing was put away by 6, 7 months. I'd keep trying to put him in the crib. even if that means you have to wake up more during the night to help him go back to sleep.. he will only get smarter as he gets older and it will get a lot tougher to transition him out of the swing.. I know how difficult transitions can be especially for bedtime. . 2 of my kids co-slept w us. and transition to the crib was work. I had to rock them to sleep. oldest didnt' sleep through the night till almost 2.. seems like my 3rd will be the same way.. she's still up twice to eat so i've learned to cope w interrupted sleep. good luck mama!! and do it soon. lol
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Try getting him a crib mobile or toy. We have this one in ours, and Benjamin watches is at night and goes right to sleep in his own bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstein-Sea-Dreams-Soother/dp/B006YBHE6M
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice ladies! I keep the same bedtime routine but have just been letting him fall asleep on me and that's when I put him in his crib. I did it over the weekend too but think he was a bit thrown off since my MIL was here all weekend but we're tryingagain ttonight.

Nat - you're right about needing to do it asap. We have the Fisher Price cradle n swing and they lay back and with him buckled there's no way he'd fall out by leaning up.

Liz - that's the one we have!! He likes it but it doesn't keep his attention when he's trying to fall asleep

We may try the pack n play and see how that works for his naps but our house is small so no matter where I'm at I'm able to watch him sleep.

I was also thinking about putting the padding from one of his swings in his crib and see how he does with that. Any way we go I know it won't be easy!