FitBit and MapMyWalk only syncs in one direction?

Options
kuranda10
kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I keep coming across the info that FitBit and MapMyFitness programs can be synced. I have MapMyWalk synced with my Charge HR.

I have also read on the FitBit help pages that FB will sync to MMW, but MMW won't import into FB? So If I forget my FB, but use my phone, it won't import to FB.
Does that seem possible that a synce would only go one way?

I wanted to use MMY for when I walk the beasts because it is GPS instead of movement and the dogs have me all over the place.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I don't use MapMy, but it's entirely possible that info only syncs one way. After all, food & water only sync one way—from MFP to Fitbit.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    Bah.

If I manually enter the MMW activity, will that over-ride the FB info for that time period or will it count it 2x (assuming I don't activity that workout feature on the CHR)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Back in early January, after I washed my One but before I got my Charge HR, I used Map My Walk, connected to MFP, and it synced back to my FitBit account.

Now I have MMW connected to my FitBit account but not MFP and it doesn't seem to affect either one. Which works for me. I just use MMW for mapping and for feedback during the walk as to speed and distance, I let FitBit determine the calorie burn.

I don't think you're at risk of double counting with exercise that is manually logged in MFP. It will over-write your FitBit data.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If a workout comes over from whatever (MFP, MMW, Garmin, Polar, other), and then you proceed to manually log it also on Fitbit or another site that sends it over as another workout - yes, you'll almost always get double-counted.

Creating the activity record on the device has no bearing on what happening at all.
    All that activity record does in create snapshot of the Fitbit original stats for that chunk of time - it doesn't prevent any of the above from happening. But it will let you see what Fitbit saw first.

Also, I don't see how Fitbit would be saying that they will send to MMW, but won't received from MMW - I think you read that wrong.
    So i think you premise is wrong.

And doesn't matter if you forget your Fitbit. It is still adding up a daily burn based on an option in your settings.
    Either barely above sleeping calorie burn, or based on history days calorie burn.

In either case, you bring a workout in, it's replacing those calories.

I think you have several unwarranted concerns based on a mis-understood premise.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    Thanks.
    I meant manually entering (and double counting) it into FitBit. I guess I'll just play with it and see what works best.

I do the all the food in MFP and all the workouts in FB method.
  • heybales
    Options
    I understood your scenario - my first sentence explained exactly that part from that perspective.
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @heybales
    Sorry about that, I think we were typing at the same time.

About this "Also, I don't see how Fitbit would be saying that they will send to MMW, but won't received from MMW - I think you read that wrong."

I got it from a response from one of the moderators over on the FitBit site

"Ohh, thank you for clarifying. When using MapMyFitness apps Fitbit will sync just distance and calories to MapMyFitness apps but as mentioned in MFP the exercised that you do using your Surge won't go to MMF. Also, MapMyFitness activity doesn't sync to Fitbit. '
  • heybales
    Options
    Strange, I thought several were syncing their other MMwalk or ride or whatever to Fitbit - perhaps it was MFP.
    Which of course then comes over to Fitbit - minus the distance.
    I guess that would be a potential bad round-robin.
    Fitbit to MMF, MMF to MFP, MFP to Fitbit.
    I guess it wouldn't be doubled at least, just replaced calories.
    But now may lose active or very active minutes.