Potassium and issues

Options
thin2be2013
thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
MFP has a set rate of daily Potassium at "3500". I can never seem to even get near this level. Before my weight loss I was on HCTZ for BP issues and had to take a prescribed med for Potassium due to it being a diuretic. Within a month I was took off both drugs. I find that I get leg cramps occasionally and restless legs at night and truly think it is due to not enough potassium. I will be asking for blood levels at next appointment but just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue?

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    MFP has a set rate of daily Potassium at "3500". I can never seem to even get near this level. Before my weight loss I was on HCTZ for BP issues and had to take a prescribed med for Potassium due to it being a diuretic. Within a month I was took off both drugs. I find that I get leg cramps occasionally and restless legs at night and truly think it is due to not enough potassium. I will be asking for blood levels at next appointment but just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue?

Yes, I can't get the 3500 either but I'm not having leg cramps. I think the MFP is off for the calories we have.

Randy
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't follow MFP for vitamins - only my NUT. I'm here for tracking food, to watch the calories and mainly protein count and the support.

Potassium can effect a lot, so I would talk to your doc.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Half of Americans (even the non sleeved) don't get enough potassium. Deficiencies in magnesium, calcium and dehydration can also cause leg cramps. Definitely check your levels but in the mean time add some high potassium foods and make sure you are getting the other minerals and plenty of water too :smiley: