MapMyWalk, MFP & FitBit

Options
Which way round should they be linked?

I think I have MapMyWalk synced to MFP at the moment.

I'm also assuming that if I go for run and set MapMyWalk off, and hold the button down on FitBit to log activity, I won't end up with two lots of calories burned?

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You'll end up with the FB data.
    I found out yesterday that FB imports into MMW but MMW doesn't import to FB.
    For the times I chose to use MMW , I'll just manually enter the activity into FB
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you...

I have another problem now. So I went for a little run. I held down the button on FitBit for it to start calculating activity. I also opened MapMyRun app and started workout.

When I got back I finished the FitBit - 28mins.
    MapMyRun only showed 19mins and looked like it had paused so I deleted it.
    FitBit is showing 30 active minutes (Great!), but under the Track Excercise section, there is nothing showing. It could be that I have rubbish reception in work, but its syncing and showing the steps I've ran and calories burned etc.

Have I done something wrong?
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    actually its working... just turned phone off and on again and its now there. I think reception is poor in my office.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I would link MapMy to Fitbit, then Fitbit to MFP. (Meaning do not link MapMy to MFP.)
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    might try that - thank you! I'm assuming you won't get double the activity/calories burnt?
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    That's the way I have it set up (MapMy -> FitBit -> MFP) and I don't get double activity. However... I actually can't tell that they're hooked up at all. As far as I can tell, MapMy doesn't send anything to FitBit and FitBit doesn't send anything to MapMy. Maybe that's because I don't subscribe to the extra cost MVP service, but just use the free app.

The lack of communication between the programs doesn't bother me because I trust FitBit to accurately track my steps and calories burned on my walks, but I like the mapping and in-walk feedback that I get from MapMyWalk better than what I get when I use the similar FitBit functionality. Also, my mom uses MMW, but doesn't have (or want) a FitBit.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    That's exactly all I want, just a map of my route. Will take a look at it again later

Thanks for the help x
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That's exactly all I want, just a map of my route.
    The Fitbit app will also give you a map of your walk. Go to "Track your exercise", click on the stopwatch icon in the upper right corner, turn your phone GPS on and click on the Fitbit app arrow to start.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    i did not know this FishyK, thank you! - I assumed only the surge gave you GPS and could map out your walk/run... I may try this later when I go for run

On that note... should I set my FitBit tracker into Activity mode like I would do normally, or does the app on my phone do all that for me?

If I did do both, would I end up with double figures showing in activity/calories burnt?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No you won't double. An activity record is merely a snapshot of the stats for that chunk of time. It's not added to the daily stat, it's what is already IN the daily stats.

If you might enjoy looking at past workouts, an activity record is the only way to review those things easily.

Oh, that use of Fitbit and phone GPS will create a workout too, much as if you manually logged a walk/run with your own more correct distance. Steps and calories will be calculated on that.
    That will replace the stats that Fitbit came up with based on steps and distance.
    So activity record you create will be prior to that workout being logged with correct distance based on GPS.

So if using the GPS function that will great a workout record, don't worry about hitting the activity record button, won't be the same stats, and you'll already have something to review down the road.
  • sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    No you won't double. An activity record is merely a snapshot of the stats for that chunk of time. It's not added to the daily stat, it's what is already IN the daily stats.

If you might enjoy looking at past workouts, an activity record is the only way to review those things easily.

Oh, that use of Fitbit and phone GPS will create a workout too, much as if you manually logged a walk/run with your own more correct distance. Steps and calories will be calculated on that.
    That will replace the stats that Fitbit came up with based on steps and distance.
    So activity record you create will be prior to that workout being logged with correct distance based on GPS.

So if using the GPS function that will great a workout record, don't worry about hitting the activity record button, won't be the same stats, and you'll already have something to review down the road.

ok just so I understand what your saying...it's ok to have them both linked here?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, that workout record for only calories will replace the Fitbit calorie burn, leaving whatever distance and steps Fitbit saw unchanged in the daily stats.
    But the activity record will show the original calories pre-changed, even though they were replaced. It's a snap shot of that block when created.