Why isn't the scale moving?

Options
paultassy
paultassy Posts: 281 Member
I'm busting my butt at least 4 times weekly at crossfit, eating clean, feeling great, but the scale is pissing me off. How can I NOT be losing weight when my clothes are hanging on me, I look better, people tell me how contoured I look, but, the scale gives me nothing but frustration.

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If your clothes fit better (or are too loose!) and you have visible muscle definition, why even care what the scale says??

I say ditch the scale and track progress with measurements, body fat % & progress photos. Sounds like you are kicking *kitten*!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ... really MFP? censoring "kicking *kitten*"? sigh...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You are changing your body composition and adding muscle, and muscle is more dense and weighs more than fat.

take some measurements. Neck, biceps, chest, waist at the belly button, hips, thighs. Check them once a month. This helps to stop you from getting hung up on one number (and the least important number, at that.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Measurements and photos are a great tool. The scale is a good took too for somethings. But I think for women especially just starting cross fit it can be a time of awesome recomp and if you only use the scale as a benchmark you won't get a good idea of the AWESoME progress you are making. Stick with the recomp and then if you want to loose eat at a slight deficit 10% or so to see a loss.
  • paultassy
    Options
    ... really MFP? censoring "kicking *kitten*"? sigh...

OMG right? So I can call myself a bad *kitten*? Thanks for the encouragement. I know you're right but women are programmed to show a certain number on the scale and I can't break that frame of mind.
  • paultassy
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I wish I had taken measurements when I first started this journey. I'm a nurse and I'm wearing scrubs that I haven't been able to fit into for two years. Even those are gettin loose on me, but tight in areas like thigh and arms.
  • paultassy
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    You are changing your body composition and adding muscle, and muscle is more dense and weighs more than fat.

take some measurements. Neck, biceps, chest, waist at the belly button, hips, thighs. Check them once a month. This helps to stop you from getting hung up on one number (and the least important number, at that.

Realistically I know this to be true, but, people constantly ask "How much weight have you lost?" Ugh. I hate that question. When I was 18 pounds they react the same way every time "Really? Looks like more than that. Why is it taking so long to lose it if you're doing crossfit all the time?! Isn't it supposed to be like the best workout ever?" Then I have to go into explaining why I haven't lost "pounds" but more "inches".
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    paultassy wrote: »
    Thanks y'all. I wish I had taken measurements when I first started this journey. I'm a nurse and I'm wearing scrubs that I haven't been able to fit into for two years. Even those are gettin loose on me, but tight in areas like thigh and arms.

Congrats!

• bostonwolf
    Options

Realistically I know this to be true, but, people constantly ask "How much weight have you lost?" Ugh. I hate that question. When I was 18 pounds they react the same way every time "Really? Looks like more than that. Why is it taking so long to lose it if you're doing crossfit all the time?! Isn't it supposed to be like the best workout ever?" Then I have to go into explaining why I haven't lost "pounds" but more "inches".

Tell them the truth: not a pound. The results of "the best workout ever" are not necessarily meant to be weight loss.

• paultassy
    Options

Tell them the truth: not a pound. The results of "the best workout ever" are not necessarily meant to be weight loss.

That should have said when I SAY 18 pounds, not when I was 18 pounds. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I work with lots of overweight women looking for a easy fix. They see me getting smaller and want to know what I'm doing. I do tell them that I feel better, I sleep better, I look better, but it's not necessarily showing pound wise. Their response is usually "Well I wanna be skinny." Well I don't. I want to look healthy and toned. I think that's sexier anyway, but that's my opinion (and everyone has one)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scales - really. They have no place in a Crossfit bathroom.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on the scale not moving, so I try not to get on it often anymore. I just tell people I'm not weighing myself so I'm not sure but that I feel fantastic.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If your clothes fit better (or are too loose!) and you have visible muscle definition, why even care what the scale says??

I say ditch the scale and track progress with measurements, body fat % & progress photos. Sounds like you are kicking *kitten*!

Agree 100%. Try not to focus on the scale if you're noticing an improvement with fitness & your clothes feel loose.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvqNHDTf8Y

This vid is pretty inspiring.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

That should have said when I SAY 18 pounds, not when I was 18 pounds. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I work with lots of overweight women looking for a easy fix. They see me getting smaller and want to know what I'm doing. I do tell them that I feel better, I sleep better, I look better, but it's not necessarily showing pound wise. Their response is usually "Well I wanna be skinny." Well I don't. I want to look healthy and toned. I think that's sexier anyway, but that's my opinion (and everyone has one)

As you well know the truth is that there is no easy fix. You need to eat less (or better) and move more in some combination that leads to you burning a bit more than you consume.

All of the things worth having in life require hard work and a certain amount of pain/discomfort to get them. If you aren't willing to do the work and get uncomfortable, nothing is going to change.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Like everyone else has said, this!

I know it's a hard adjustment to make, though, because there's less way to easily see progress every week, you just have to trust that you are and wait for the longer term changes.

But you don't want to lose weight, just body fat! (I just wish it was as easy to measure body fat as weight.) ;-)
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain. Take measurements!!!!!!!!!!

I have started taking measurements again. In March I have lost nothing on the scales but have lost 5cm off my waist (where I carry all my weight) and 1cm each from hips, arms and calf. I get frustrated with the scales. I dont care what I weigh but I just keep thinking that I eventually have to weigh less!!!

Anyway, crossfit is awesome, I got two new 1rms this week, I am eating well and feel great. I guess we both learn to persevere and see where we get to :smile:
  • paultassy
    Options
    emma7437 wrote: »
    Oh I feel your pain. Take measurements!!!!!!!!!!

I have started taking measurements again. In March I have lost nothing on the scales but have lost 5cm off my waist (where I carry all my weight) and 1cm each from hips, arms and calf. I get frustrated with the scales. I dont care what I weigh but I just keep thinking that I eventually have to weigh less!!!

Anyway, crossfit is awesome, I got two new 1rms this week, I am eating well and feel great. I guess we both learn to persevere and see where we get to :smile:

Well said. Once again, after 5 days of grueling workouts I weighed just out of curiosity. Nothing. Exactly the same. But I take solace in the fact that my (too tight to wear before) scrubs are now comfortably loose on me, and that people can tell the changes in my body. I really really wish I'd have started measuring when I first started this journey

• bostonwolf
    Options
    Keep in mind as well: Grueling workouts equal muscle damage (in a good way.) Muscles will hold water to help repair the damage and get stronger.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have had 5 days off Crossfit over Easter and ate chocolate and hot cross buns. Got on the scales and have dropped weight! Broke that barrier I have not been able to get through. It is crazy but I think it was the break from exercising and my body caught up or something.

Persevere and take measurements now, even if they are not from the beginning for you.

And good luck and enjoy the ride!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I managed to not gain weight after a long weekend of drinking high ABV beer and lots of food. I'll take it!