Body Composition Tests

Options
Kenda2427
Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Body Composition tests, has anyone had this done? I have been reading about this for awhile and wanted to know what my body fat was. The Bod Pod is considered a gold standard along side of underwater weighing and DEXA.

Today I bit the bullet and went and had a Bod Pod analysis done. Probably a poor time to do it right off vacation and was up 7 pounds but the opportunity was there and I went for it. I was quite nervous about the results but it turned out not so bad.

My percent of fat is 25.9%, with a fat weight of 28.9 lbs and 82.7 lbs lean weight. This falls in the category of moderately lean which is a range of 22.1-30% and acceptable for good health. My goal is to try and hit the lean category which is 18.1-22%. The technician said I would need to lose 1.1 lbs to lower 1% fat. I feel for my age and stature that 21% would be a good goal to set. So my goal is to lose 5.5 lbs and maintain or increase lean weight. Strength training will be critical in this process to not lose lean weight. Nutrition will be key in the loss of fat weight.

I would love to hear other people's stories on body fat composition and how they made the changes to hit or work towards their goals. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did a DEXA (actually a 3 DEXA pack, of which I've done 2)--I don't think it's necessary at all, but I found it really interesting and motivating. Gives more incentive to build up my lean mass, which was in the low 90s (I'm around 25% body fat also, or was in January, and I'd also like to get to under 22%). I'd lost a lot of body fat between my first 4 months before, but also some lean body mass, so that really cemented my resolve to reduce my deficit and try to lose slower, as I was already doing strength training. I also got more serious about the strength training and about focusing on a progressive program where I could really monitor progress.

I was happy that my bone density was really good, especially for my age.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Wow ladies, those are some really good percentages to have.
    When I started my journey last year, I was around 45-50% body fat. In October I had in InBody analysis done and I was around 38%. I just did another one yesterday and I'm hoping once I get the final result I will be in the low 30's or high 20's.
    I use these tests to make sure I'm loosing fat and not lean body mass! Once I have the results I can use a formula I posted a while back and determine the ideal weight for the body composition that I want.
    Here is the link on how to do that
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/