Dumping??

Options
jove102
jove102 Posts: 68 Member
Is this a real thing for sleevers? Or is it just diareah? I had my surgery in January and randomly this will happen...any insight?

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sleeve surgery patients don't get dumping syndrome like by bass patients do. This is one of the benefits of the sleeve.
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    According to my surgeon, you can get dumping syndrome with the sleeve, but it's not very common. (And for the record, they consider it part of the tool of RNY, not a side effect.) I had an event that they think was dumping syndrome a couple of months after I had the sleeve. I had hurt my hip and decided to take some of the leftover liquid painkiller from my surgery. Right after taking it, I drank a glass of water, which I think is was caused the problem - it pushed that syrup straight to my intestine. I started having terrible stomach pain, I got flushed, started sweating. The pain was quite bad - I couldn't get comfortable and kept getting up and walking around - I was doubled over. I did get some diarrhea, but not terrible. It subsided after about half an hour. I felt like I was going to die and almost called someone to take me to the hospital! They don't know for certain what happened, but the doctors did say it sounded like dumping syndrome.

If you're just having occasional diarrhea without other symptoms like that, I think your body is probably still adjusting to the surgery. It took a while for my system to adjust and be regular again.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It happens to me IF I binge on sugar. But I REALLY have to over do it. I'm a year and 1/2 post op and have been in my goal range 10 months, so it's not a "new sleeve" issues for me. For example, large home made sugar cookie and 1pm another at 3pm another at 5pm... THAT will cause a problem. If I stopped at one, no problem at all. 1/2 piece of cheesecake did it to me once as well. I look at it as a gift now. It's a strong deterrent lose control. As long as I do treats in moderation, it's all good!
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I talked to my np today about it because i haven't really had any sweets. She thinks I might be having a general blood sugar issue...she said when your sugar drops you can get something like dumping...I had blood work done so we will see
  • kenmj11
    kenmj11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    diarrhea itself is not dumping. dumping is when food high in sugar with or without fat goes too quickly into your small intestine and causes flushing, palpitations, nausea and perhaps you may get stomach upset/diarrhea. it us more common for bypass but it possible for sleeves too. I know because I experience it. doesn't always stop me from bad choices but it can help stop before u get too far. btw I am 2 years out and it still happens. I can't eat ice cream, cheesecake or other high sugar, fatty stuff. I guess that's a good thing. only 1 bite can I have. and only 2-3 cookies not 10 like pre sleeve! that's a good thing when I slip in my choices.
  • Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dumping for sleevers is definitely real. It happened to me when I ate frozen yogurt (thought I had the low-sugar version, but I didn't) and I almost went to the hospital. It was miserable.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm with bikrchk in that mine only seems to happen when I binge on sugar. I am 3 years out. I can and always have been able to tolerate sugar in small doses, but if I overdo I get nausea, flushed and feel like I'm going to pass out. No diarrhea though just severely ill feeling. Generally I lay down for a bit if I can and the sick feeling goes away with an hour or so. Early out it only took small doses of sugar to cause that but now my body is a little more tolerant. I too look at it as a good thing because it keeps me from overdoing the sweets as I don't want to feel like crap.
  • raqdabells73
    raqdabells73 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get it when I have had something too sweet or fatty. It is not pleasant at all. But it is making me make better choices as I still continue to adjust to my sleeve.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    kenmj11 wrote: »
    diarrhea itself is not dumping. dumping is when food high in sugar with or without fat goes too quickly into your small intestine and causes flushing, palpitations, nausea and perhaps you may get stomach upset/diarrhea. it us more common for bypass but it possible for sleeves too. I know because I experience it. doesn't always stop me from bad choices but it can help stop before u get too far. btw I am 2 years out and it still happens. I can't eat ice cream, cheesecake or other high sugar, fatty stuff. I guess that's a good thing. only 1 bite can I have. and only 2-3 cookies not 10 like pre sleeve! that's a good thing when I slip in my choices.

I like this definition, and it really matches with dumping from the RNY world. Diarrhea is just sometimes a by-product of dumping, but not an indication of it.

I have had this happen to me a couple times in the 6 months since surgery. It's always been on a day when I had a LOT of activity and calories earned back (I'm talking about 1,000 calories on top of my regular burn), but didn't eat anything extra, then I opted for some sweet-ish treats (weight watchers ice cream bar, or frozen yogurt) without having any other food (protein) in my system. About 45 minutes I get "woogy" (feeling weak, shaking, elevated pulse). The first time I was scared *kitten*-less. I don't have really high blood pressure (130/63) or blood sugar problms. I checked my BP and it was fine, then thought to check my sugar, it was around 70. So it looks like after the sugary treat my body over-compensates and take my blood sugar levels too low. The best fix was to drink 4 ounces of 2% milk. About 5 minutes later I felt better, and 10 minutes I was back to normal.

The TL;DR version: treats are fine, but I have to make sure I balance it with protein to buffer my blood sugar.

-Phill