Powerlifting Competition

Options
nassaugyal
nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
There are so many beyond awesome women in this group that I'm surprised that I haven't heard about anyone trying a powerlifting competition. Has anyone considered it? I'm still just a super beginner but everything I've read about amateur comps says that they're really supportive and that you're only really competing with yourself. Also, working toward to competition can be super motivation.

So, anyone thinking of it?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't really thought about it. I'm still learning form and the lifts, so it would be a long time before I would feel ready to take part in a competition. Maybe it will be one of the things I add to my goal list in the future.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    You may want to check out the Eat, Train, Progress group. I know one of the leaders, Sarauk2sf, competes. She's great.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure tree (@fittreelol) has done a few comps, and she still hangs around from time to time.

I have been looking for one I can attend but the ones that are advertised tend to specifically state "no beginners" and I really don't know anyone in the biz and am a little shy to ask around at the gym. One day, maybeh. My total would kinda suck anyway lol (260 deadlift, 145 bench and 190 squat only add up to 595. I might've 600 in me but that's still pretty low, especially considering my weight group.)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm not even close to lifting enough (especially if Krokador's lifts aren't heavy enough!). I'm still eating at a deficit & I won't make big strength gains until I eat for it. Working my way up to maintenance. I do fantasize about powerlifting, though. I know there is a woman on the FB Stronglifts Women group who just competed recently.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It's one of my goals but I'm not ready yet. I want to feel more comfortable lifting on my own then I'd want to work with someone to get competition ready.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Qualifying standards for a woman my size in the FQD (Fédération Québécoise de Dynamophilie -- Thats the QC official PL federation): http://www.fqd-quebec.com/qualifying-standards;jsessionid=8B6F3D7090168341F2ECDABEAFB255FE

All weights on that page are in kg so I'll convert for ya'll: I'm ~195lbs (let's round up) which is roughly 89kg, so I'm in the 84kg+ group. 600lbs is roughly 275kg (rounded up to the nearest 5). Barely puts me in class IV. If I could drop back down under 185 it would look a little better but I'd still be ways off from the next class.

I don't know that it would really matter, to be honest, tho. I don't really intend to go to provincial meets at the moment. But like I said, most meets I've looked into had the very specific instruction of "no first timers" or "no beginners". It's kinda lame.

Although now that I look around the website, they have added a few more and some are not full yet. But at the same time, I'm also preparing for obstacle race season. Those 2 things do not work well together.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yes! I compete and so does girlie100 who is in here from time to time as well. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about it. How much you lift isn't important, but it is important to be familiar with the commands and rules. It can be very disheartening to bomb out because of technical issues.

I started down the powerlifting path by lurking in the SL forum for a little while and eventually becoming brave enough to join a gym with a power rack and start lifting. It was soooooo scary. I've been lifting for almost 2.5 years now. I've had to take time off/alter my training from a broken patella (at first thought it was bruised, now realize I broke it whoops), a bruised rib, a bruised tailbone, and a crazy real life period when I was applying to PTA school. Uh the point I'm trying to make from all this is that lifting is a marathon and not a sprint. I'm not only stronger today than I was in the beginning, but stronger than I have been at any point along that 2.5 year time.

I've also made almost all my strength gains while in a cut. I'm an idiot though and yo-yo back up when I can't train. So it is possible!

In the US I've never seen meets that state no beginners. There are some meets that you have to qualify for, but that's about it. Also there are very few pro only meets, and the ones that are invite only. Typically "pro" in powerlifting indicates a specific minimum total, someone who uses PED's, or both.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first powerlifting meet on 8/1. I was wishy washy for a little bit then decided to rip off the bandaid and just go for it. You should totally do it!!