Does This Happen At Your Box?

paultassy
paultassy Posts: 281 Member
Does anyone else have people that bail out in the middle of the WOD? Tonight was 100 snatches and burpees. Yes, it was effin hard. But unless I pass out or die I refuse to stop. To me, that's just embarrassing and admitting you're a quitter when things get uncomfortable. Tonight three people quit midway through the WOD. I was really surprised they just gave up. To each his (or her) own, but, it's beyond me how anyone can be proud of themselves when they quit.

Ok rant over

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I timed out a few times early on. If the next class is taking the floor it's over.
  • paultassy
    I timed out a few times early on. If the next class is taking the floor it's over.

I promise you that wasn't the case. We are the last class of the day. These people just bailed because it got hard.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Fortunately no. One time, I even took 45 minutes to complete a WOD with a 20 minute cap once that included thrusters and running, and sobbed through the last 25 minutes. Our coaches make us finish even if time is up. Our gym doesn't make us move out for the next class, so we all just happily work around each other.
    Sorry it killed your vibe, those are the people that cant look themselves in the mirror...
  • paultassy
    Fortunately no. One time, I even took 45 minutes to complete a WOD with a 20 minute cap once that included thrusters and running, and sobbed through the last 25 minutes. Our coaches make us finish even if time is up. Our gym doesn't make us move out for the next class, so we all just happily work around each other.
    Sorry it killed your vibe, those are the people that cant look themselves in the mirror...

I have not finished a WOD in the allotted time, but I was like 10 lunges away from finishing, so when he called time I said "I'm finishing! I didn't do all that sweating to quit! Time cap was 30 minutes and I did 30:11
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    A WOD like that should have a time cap on it. Either one of those things is a workout from hell in and of itself. And I'm not sure doing 100 snatches is every a good idea, I can't imagine the utter lack of form and technique that would be involved with doing the last 10 or 20 reps.

I had a WOD last week where I wanted to quit and got a stomach cramp half way through and almost used that as an excuse, but I was able to loosen it up and finish the workout.

One of the many times where if I was alone I'd have walked away, but with people there cheering me on I stuck to it.

There is a CF Masters group on Facebook run by Freddie Camacho, who has been a Games competitor for years. He calls workouts like that "any *kitten*" workouts. As in any *kitten* can program it, but it doesn't seem to have any purpose other than being ridiculously hard. That workout kind of reminds me of an "any *kitten*" workout.

I'll also add that if I hit my "If I do another rep I'm gonna hurl" point, I will stop or dramatically scale down the workout.
  • paultassy
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    A WOD like that should have a time cap on it. Either one of those things is a workout from hell in and of itself. And I'm not sure doing 100 snatches is every a good idea, I can't imagine the utter lack of form and technique that would be involved with doing the last 10 or 20 reps.

I had a WOD last week where I wanted to quit and got a stomach cramp half way through and almost used that as an excuse, but I was able to loosen it up and finish the workout.

One of the many times where if I was alone I'd have walked away, but with people there cheering me on I stuck to it.

There is a CF Masters group on Facebook run by Freddie Camacho, who has been a Games competitor for years. He calls workouts like that "any *kitten*" workouts. As in any *kitten* can program it, but it doesn't seem to have any purpose other than being ridiculously hard. That workout kind of reminds me of an "any *kitten*" workout.

I'll also add that if I hit my "If I do another rep I'm gonna hurl" point, I will stop or dramatically scale down the workout.

It seemed a little much to me as well, but who am I to question? He was watching out form and as far as I know, I did fine. He also said if you need to sit out a round, feel free to do so to catch your breath. These people were not close to throwing up, passing out, or anything else. They were just being lazy. It got too hard. Funny part is these are the ones who brag constantly on fb about how much they love crossfit and are ready to "kill" the WOD, etc. Let's just say their fb pages were petty quiet after they bailed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Never seen that at mine but for timing out, as Allan said.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Generally I don't quit but there are reasons some may not complete. If your muscles hit the point of failure and you can't do any more. I once had to have my coach lift me on the pull-ups because my arms were too tired to do the work. I should have just called it a day but the coach knew I don't quit and wanted to make sure I was able to finish. I'm a diabetic if my blood sugar gets to low I can't continue (I have never had this happen, but if it did I would stop). If you are injured or new you will likely need to scale and part of scaling may mean less reps, etc...
  • bostonwolf
    We have a younger guy who is diabetic and has a bump. If that thing starts beeping or whatever he stops immediately and checks to see what the issue is before he continues.

Just not worth doing it another way.
  • paultassy
    I understand all those issues (medical
    And whatnot) but I know all of these people and they simply quit because it got hard. The woman next to me said "Ugh screw this, I can't do anymore" and she's been going long enough that (if she would do the WODs right) she could be in good enough shape to finish, even if it means pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone. After she bailed she was walking around laughing it up with people, not seeming the least bit bothered. Well I'm gonna quit talking about it cause that's them, not me. I'm
    Pushing myself to new heights, going for a PR as often as possible. I refuse to half *kitten* and expect to be lean, fit , and trim just by showing up to the gym.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I think you’ve touched on something that I bring up quite often on the fitness forum. Commitment. So many people go into something like crossfit without really having a plan. They see others in great shape and say, "I want that.” They never committed to the change, otherwise it would be, “I need that.”

Don’t be discouraged by others quitting. You are running your own race. Creating the lifestyle you deserve. Enjoy!
  • bostonwolf
    paultassy wrote: »
    And whatnot) but I know all of these people and they simply quit because it got hard. The woman next to me said "Ugh screw this, I can't do anymore" and she's been going long enough that (if she would do the WODs right) she could be in good enough shape to finish, even if it means pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone. After she bailed she was walking around laughing it up with people, not seeming the least bit bothered. Well I'm gonna quit talking about it cause that's them, not me. I'm
    Pushing myself to new heights, going for a PR as often as possible. I refuse to half *kitten* and expect to be lean, fit , and trim just by showing up to the gym.

That sounds more like a coaching problem than anything else.

On the few occassions I had to stop a WOD (once for a cramp, once for a sore lower back) I hung around and cheered everyone else on.

That sort of behavior isn't tolerated at our box, if someone did it they'd be told to be quiet by either an athlete or a coach.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    (I think I have cheated a few times where I got lost in my reps- or the rounds-count and I choose to give myself the benefit of the doubt. But I am not going to admit that anyplace else, or ever again.)
    No. I have never seen anyone just quit.
    I suppose it is better than hurting yourself.
  • bostonwolf
    ^There have definitely been times where we had something that was like 5 burpees and five squats per minute for 15 minutes and I knew I was not going to be able to keep the pace. Told the coaches beforehand that I'd hold it as long as I could. They would say to pick a time (40 or 45 seconds) and if you can't finish by then knock a rep of each movement.

I'd do that then for the last 2-3 rounds I'd do Rx and just go for it.

I have never seen anyone say "this is too hard I can't do it." Crossfit is about hard work but also about scaling if needed to make sure you can finish the workout.
  • paultassy

On the few occassions I had to stop a WOD (once for a cramp, once for a sore lower back) I hung around and cheered everyone else on.

That sort of behavior isn't tolerated at our box, if someone did it they'd be told to be quiet by either an athlete or a coach.

I heard the coach tell her to sit out a round if she needed to so she did, then I think she did 2 more snatches (after taking all the weight off her bar) and then just quit. He didn't look happy, but he always says quit if you need to. The operative word is NEED to. The ones that quit didn't need to. They wanted to. It was one of the hardest WODs I've done but I finished the damn thing. I wasn't about to stop even though it woulda been easy to.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member

I heard the coach tell her to sit out a round if she needed to so she did, then I think she did 2 more snatches (after taking all the weight off her bar) and then just quit. He didn't look happy, but he always says quit if you need to. The operative word is NEED to. The ones that quit didn't need to. They wanted to. It was one of the hardest WODs I've done but I finished the damn thing. I wasn't about to stop even though it woulda been easy to.

Obviously they felt they needed to. If you're satisfied with your performance that day, that's all that matters. What does it matter what someone else did or didn't do?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    My coach would say:

494e32785f3343631f9c58cad1eb5022008573ffd12703b7bc1801e4c857f760.jpg

Sounds like shoddy programming to me, honestly.
  • paultassy
    Y'all are misunderstanding me. I guess you'd just have to had been there. And yes I'm beginning to think the WOD was not well programmed.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Does anyone else have people that bail out in the middle of the WOD? Tonight was 100 snatches and burpees. Yes, it was effin hard. But unless I pass out or die I refuse to stop. To me, that's just embarrassing and admitting you're a quitter when things get uncomfortable. Tonight three people quit midway through the WOD. I was really surprised they just gave up. To each his (or her) own, but, it's beyond me how anyone can be proud of themselves when they quit.

Ok rant over

Why does it matter to you what others do during a WOD? I know you mentioned later that they were loud after they quit but if you're busting your butt during a WOD, what does it matter to you if others quit? Focus on yourself and your performance. There's been plenty of times I scale, take long breaks, etc. and I hope to god people I WOD with aren't as judgey as you were in the OP.

• paultassy
    Alright then