Anybody have an aria?

Options
I am tempted to get one but Is it worth it. I'm afraid it would just be something that I spend alot of money but is not really so useful. (Like buying exercise equipment to hang your clothes on) or because I buy an expensive scale it will make me thinner )

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The body fat measurement is crap, but I love never having to log my weight. I log daily, and sync my Aria with TrendWeight.com.
  • susan10308
    Options
    I didn't know it did that. Lol can't lie to yourself. Probably a good thing.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If I weigh in at the same time every day, I found the Aria fat% to be accurate enough.

Mine is .5% off a professional machine. (I brought mine in and got off one and immediately on to the other to test the Arias accuracy. It was also off by only .5 kg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 yr old Tanita, that measures body fat %, shows how many calories you need to maintain, and supports up to 4 users, so can't justify getting a new scale just because it can also communicate via wifi. But the geekgrl in me would love an Aria, just can't justify the upgrade.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    First the bad and then the good!

Yes, people keep saying that bio-impedence measurements are useful and that they show trends, etc.

So far, during weight loss, this has failed to happen with me... a **month's** data provides zero (or I should say wrong) insight into fat vs muscle loss.

Obviously this is something that works better for some than others and I don't think it has anything to do with the Aria.

The Wi-Fi setup and chipset used. In a debate as to whether a committee of gerbils or the Fitbit engineers could come up with a more brain dead product I think I will say.... the gerbils would fail more miserably. But it was a close call!!!

When you do manage to set up the Aria, and assuming your WiFi is in range... yes, it does work. If you only weigh yourself once... it is even useful that it autoposts to mfp.

Actually I probably owe the Aria for cutting down on the amount of times I weigh myself! I bought it almost for that reason (my previous scale required multiple weigh ins to figure out my weight)... and it has inadvertently delivered by making me reluctant to weigh myself more than once since that requires to manually log in and erase the extra entries for the day (I only want to keep one a day : - )

Calibration requires a battery pull to manually trigger, so if you move the scale a lot....

The good:

It claims to have four load cell sensors. Most scales have only one.

It appears to honestly weigh you the first couple of times in a row as opposed to applying fake consistency algorithms right away like most other scales in the market.

Without certified calibration weights I can only say that it has consistently yielded results as expected, so I am happy to believe that I weigh what it claims I do : - )

In brief, if I had the option of a manual balance beam scale in my budget... I would have preferred it. But their cost is twice+ that of the Aria's and it takes less room!!!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Without certified calibration weights I can only say that it has consistently yielded results as expected, so I am happy to believe that I weigh what it claims I do : - )

Weighing daily and syncing my Aria with TrendWeight.com has absolutely yielded results as expected—unlike MFP's "in five weeks" nonsense.

Trend Weight shows you your trend without the "noise" of water weight. Maybe I would've lost the weight & successfully maintained for nine months without it—but for me it totally makes the money I spent on my Aria well worth it.
  • robertfoleyjr
    robertfoleyjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have one, every morning I weight myself. As others have stated the body fat detection is horrible and or doesn't work at all.

Which is fine because I ignore the while bmi scale thing.

What is ironic is the $35 dollar scale this one replaced has bmi calculations and works just fine (even if I'm wet just out of the shower or my feet are cold). Unlike the aria which doesn't work at all for bmi.

I've got mine registered to fitbit.com and it syncs that data to myfitnesspal account.

I've found myfitnesspal has a superior food diary feature over fibit.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was going to get one, but after reading a lot about problems setting it up and getting it to work, and some people NEVER being able to use it, I decided not to.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every day, and I enter every weight loss. I love going to my phone and entering the new weight, even if it's just a .2 loss. I don't want Aria entering a false "gain" for me, so I'm sticking with my old scale. And I love geeking out on gadgets... this one just isn't for me.