Exercise Program Recommendations (sore joints, morbidly obese)

Options
chissmichi
chissmichi Posts: 5 Member
Hi all,

I have lupus and am morbidly obese (205+ lbs on a 5'2" frame). I've been good about changing my eating habits and now it's time to add some exercise. Any recommendations for things that are good for larger girls that are easy on the joints? For now, I've been doing some band exercises (15 ~ 20 minutes a day) which have been working out okay. I don't have a lot of room and can't afford a gym. Thanks!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise! Check out you tube for exercise videos (free!) to find something that could work for you! Good luck!
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If your joints do hurt, I'd recommend kinesio tape to help support your joints. You can move properly, but I feel much more confident when I have it on. Get the cheap, off-brand ones or it'll cost a fortune.

Walking is always a good starting point, like Karlotta said.

There are lots of online workouts that don't need equipment and you can do at your own pace. Sparkpeople workouts have a lot of range and you can get them on youtube for free. Don't be afraid to go for the beginners' stuff and move up as and when you're ready. Take your time and make it sustainable.

Good job for starting on the band work.
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    muimi07, I, also, have to be careful because of my legs (too much surgery and more to come). My physical therapist visits weekly and gives me leg exercises to strengthen them, and my occupational therapist comes weekly, too, and gives me arm exercises to strengthen them. It's really tough when we start, isn't it? I work up a sweat with just 20 reps. I'm supposed to walk the length of the apartment building and take two sets of steps, but sometimes my legs just hurt too much.

To avoid stress on your joints, I strongly recommend a stationary bike. There's nothing better, in my opinion. As soon as I'm stable on my feet, I'm going to go to Salvation Army or Goodwill and find a bicycle I can ride. I used to really enjoy it, and when the weather is nice, it's so fun to ride. I live close to a city garden that is planting fresh flowers now; I saw pictures in the newspaper, and I sure would like to get over there.

Anyway, about 20 years ago, I was morbidly obese; I was 5'11" (gravity has shrunk me; I'm now 5'10") and was 253 pounds. When the doctor told me that, I was shocked and scared; I thought I was going to drop dead any minute, and I was taking care of my mother after my dad died. I did everything he told me, and I lost 73 pounds. Of course, now I'm here because I've gained almost 20 of those pounds back. I got rid of my fat clothes, so I have to lose weight if I want to get dressed. :# With my recent weight gain came a high A1C. I'm now on insulin and, thanks to that and now MFP, my blood sugar seems to be doing okay. I have to focus all day, every day. This is day 3 for me, and I've lost 7 pounds of water weight so far. I'm anxious to see fat drop off!

You can use your band for leg, arm, and abdominal exercises, as you know. I used to have a couple of those but they got lost in the move (along with quite a bit of other stuff). I'm going to get another exercise band; thanks for reminding me!

Linda
  • michellewalker6
    michellewalker6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a spinal chord disease that gives me back and leg pain. I have difficulty walking, sitting and standing for longer than 30 mins. However I have been increasing my walks to three times a day. What else could I do to loose weight?
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle. I understand your challenges and commend you on increasing your number of walks. But...you cannot out walk a bad diet. For weight loss, concentrate on what you eat. For better health, do what exercise you are able to do. Eat fewer calories than you use. When I started MFP, I could not walk any distance at all so I decided I needed to do it by calorie counting alone and I lost 35 pounds that way. Sometimes I can walk more now so I am happy about that.
  • janiemmeyers213
    janiemmeyers213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have chronic pain from fibro and OA and am around your weight and height. I also have a very limited budget. I exercize in the therapy pool at the YMCA. I was able to get financial assistance from the Y based on my income level. My only income is social security disability so my fee to join and my monthly membership is substance ally lower than a typical gym.
  • dbarlipmiller
    dbarlipmiller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    muimi07 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have lupus and am morbidly obese (205+ lbs on a 5'2" frame). I've been good about changing my eating habits and now it's time to add some exercise. Any recommendations for things that are good for larger girls that are easy on the joints? For now, I've been doing some band exercises (15 ~ 20 minutes a day) which have been working out okay. I don't have a lot of room and can't afford a gym. Thanks!

Start off walking just a little bit each day. It helps. I have lupus as well it really helps my joints. But remember to start off slow.
  • dbarlipmiller
    dbarlipmiller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bvifun wrote: »
    Hi Michelle. I understand your challenges and commend you on increasing your number of walks. But...you cannot out walk a bad diet. For weight loss, concentrate on what you eat. For better health, do what exercise you are able to do. Eat fewer calories than you use. When I started MFP, I could not walk any distance at all so I decided I needed to do it by calorie counting alone and I lost 35 pounds that way. Sometimes I can walk more now so I am happy about that.

So true diet goes along with exercise. It really helps your joints getting the weight off and it also helps your muscles to walk.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gotten out much you can add small bursts by doing isometric type exercise during commercial breaks. Your core is extremely important to keep strong. Rubber band is excellent for that. Another is an exercise ball (if you have room) just sitting and balancing during your favorite tv shows will build you up. They come with instructions and a dvd too. Diet is by far the most important thing you can do besides fitness. It seems hard at first but when you realize how devastating illness can be diet starts becoming a lifestyle. This is for you and you are worth the effort. In the event of autoimmune diseases and degenerative diseases slow and steady is really the only way we can do this. I have rheumatoid disease. Between steroids and pain it is hard to imagine ever getting slim again. It is a fight.
    Evette
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    it is chair exersices
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi Ginny. As soon as I'm out of bed and over this flare, I'm going to try these exercises xx
  • Ginny218
    Options
    i do them when my back doesn't hurt - not today work was too hard.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    i do like them - easy to sit in front of the computer and do them.. i have the soup cans and i have some heavier hand weights I am going to use once i get stronger - the twists and side movements are my hardest - today i couldn't even do the knee ups.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you can join a gym with a pool, then swimming laps or taking a water exercise class is best. If you have Medicare, sign up for the Silver Sneakers program. For $15 per month, there is over a dozen gyms in my area, I can go to any of them for that one fee, most of them have pools!
    Another good exercise is cycling on a recumbent bike, most gyms will have one of these.
  • star1407
    Options
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga has done wonders for my fibromyalgia
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link star1407
  • star1407
    Options
    You're more than welcome panda xx
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a spinal chord disease that gives me back and leg pain. I have difficulty walking, sitting and standing for longer than 30 mins. However I have been increasing my walks to three times a day. What else could I do to loose weight?

I suggest water therapy, aqua fitness classes, water walking/jogging, swimming. Easiest on the joints.

Also recumbent bikes and recumbent elliptical machines. Look into your local ymcas.