U.S. New Moms - Laws about breast pumps and insurance

vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
Moms in the U.S. - If you didn't know, starting in January of this year, Obamacare requires that breast pumps are covered under insurance. It doesn't specify what kind of pumps have to be covered though. For my first two children, no pumps were covered at all. Now, a manual pump is covered at 100%, and with a prescription (the prescription I got was for a lactating mother) the electric pump was covered at 85%. If you are planning on breastfeeding, please call your insurance companies to see what kind of help you can get.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    My insurance (BCBS of SC) reimburses the purchase of a new, personal-use pump up to $150. They were so vague about the requirements (as in not knowledgeable) that I wouldn't be surprised if they denied my claim for reimbursement. However I kept everything in writing so I can prove how vague they were. In the meantime I am using my older pump in case I need to return the unused pump.

Oh, and it was one pump associated with a birth per insurance year (mine runs August-August), so I couldn't file until I'd delivered.

Mine did not help with hospital pump rental (I asked), and I don't know what it covered for hand pumps, if anything.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    This is really good to know, considering they cost an arm and a leg!