Just got a road bike. Already had 2 flats. Is being overweight a factor?

Options

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Just an update... still cycling of course and have rode about 600 miles since without issue. Just noticing on the back tire, how much more worn it is than the front and if/when I should swap it to the front which has barely lost the rubber seam down the middle of the tread. I know there has been discussion about why not to rotate (safety reasons) but this was about MTB's. I assume the same still might apply but for longevity's sake, I am curious the average life of the Conti US.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Conti tyres have a wear indicator on the tread... There's two little dots moulded into the running surface. When they disappear bin the tyre. Fwiw, last conti tyres I wore out were the gp4000s - black chilli version, so race rubber really, and according to my records I knocked in around 3000km on the rear tyre before the day to dissapeared, and within a few days (as in before the replacement tyres came from Wiggle) the rear was to the casing. I think the front was probably good for another 14-1500 km before it went the same way. As I was knocking in over 1000km a month at the time, I couldn't be arsed with swapping the tyres around.

• m1xm0d3
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Conti tyres have a wear indicator on the tread... There's two little dots moulded into the running surface. When they disappear bin the tyre. Fwiw, last conti tyres I wore out were the gp4000s - black chilli version, so race rubber really, and according to my records I knocked in around 3000km on the rear tyre before the day to dissapeared, and within a few days (as in before the replacement tyres came from Wiggle) the rear was to the casing. I think the front was probably good for another 14-1500 km before it went the same way. As I was knocking in over 1000km a month at the time, I couldn't be arsed with swapping the tyres around.

I did notice the dimples but I never put it together. :disappointed: Makes sense... I ask about the mileage because early summer last year when I was commuting by MTB (same exact route, same weight), I ran a Rubena V99 City Hopper and only got around 400 miles on the rear. I swapped them for more mileage but they were terrible and this is my first RB so I didn't know what is the norm. Thanks
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    If the tyres are run at the proper pressure I'd expect the ultra sports to be at least as durable as the gp4000 black chilies... Being trading rubber rather than race, they should probably be more durable if anything. Obviously wear is also influenced by rider weight and the road surface, but frankly, I got that distance at 250lb. And on road surfaces that are rough enough that I usually kill the tyres with Flint cuts to the tread or sidewall before wearing out the rubber, so unless your continually riding dirt trails, you could treat my distance as a reasonable enough benchmark I reckon.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    If the tyres are run at the proper pressure I'd expect the ultra sports to be at least as durable as the gp4000 black chilies... Being trading rubber rather than race, they should probably be more durable if anything. Obviously wear is also influenced by rider weight and the road surface, but frankly, I got that distance at 250lb. And on road surfaces that are rough enough that I usually kill the tyres with Flint cuts to the tread or sidewall before wearing out the rubber, so unless your continually riding dirt trails, you could treat my distance as a reasonable enough benchmark I reckon.

Nice. Thanks. I run them right at 120 psi. During my commute I have about 1 mile of rough paved gravel and when I ride on it, it's like I can hear/feel the tire disintegrating with every revolution. I guess most of that is from me being used to the more cushy MTB tires along with worry the Conti US will go the way of the Rubena V99, prematurely. Now I can put that to rest...
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My rear tire is wearing out fast too and I only replaced it in March I think.

I have read http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html and it makes sense from a safety standpoint to never rotate a used tire to the front. So either replace as a set...or if you are replacing just one, then put the brand new one on the front, and take that old front one off and put it on the rear to die ...hopefully peacefully :)
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    tire pressure.. and if your using your same tires on trainer could also be a culprit.. there are tires specifically for the trainer
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

Nice. Thanks. I run them right at 120 psi. During my commute I have about 1 mile of rough paved gravel and when I ride on it, it's like I can hear/feel the tire disintegrating with every revolution. I guess most of that is from me being used to the more cushy MTB tires along with worry the Conti US will go the way of the Rubena V99, prematurely. Now I can put that to rest...

120 psi? How heavy are you? That sounds like too much pressure, especially if you ride on rough surfaces from time to time.

Aim to keep the pressure at a level that allows a bit of bulge where it contacts the road. It will actually reduce rolling resistance and allow the tire to form over small irregularities on the road.

Apps like Berto Tire Pressure can do the math for you, so you can get the pressure just right. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options

120 psi? How heavy are you? That sounds like too much pressure, especially if you ride on rough surfaces from time to time.

Aim to keep the pressure at a level that allows a bit of bulge where it contacts the road. It will actually reduce rolling resistance and allow the tire to form over small irregularities on the road.

Apps like Berto Tire Pressure can do the math for you, so you can get the pressure just right. :smile:

Read the first post. Op weighed in at 285lb a month or so ago... 120psi in 25mm conti tyres(which come up as pretty small, nearer 23 from Michelin or Vittoria do example) is not too far from optimal and will give that sag in the tyre you mentioned... 100 psi would be snake biting every time you rode over a cats eye!

• m1xm0d3
    Options
    mlove351 wrote: »
    tire pressure.. and if your using your same tires on trainer could also be a culprit.. there are tires specifically for the trainer

I have a trainer specific tire for the winter months.

Read the first post. Op weighed in at 285lb a month or so ago... 120psi in 25mm conti tyres(which come up as pretty small, nearer 23 from Michelin or Vittoria do example) is not too far from optimal and will give that sag in the tyre you mentioned... 100 psi would be snake biting every time you rode over a cats eye!

There is def a slight sag on rear as I ride. I did get the Berto tire pressure app and it said I needed like 160 psi and for me to get within the proper range for the 25mm Conti US I would need to weigh around 200 lb max. Yeah... not gonna happen. Haha

I did notice yesterday my rear tire is about worn down as much as I would allow it to before switching it to the front. It's not soft by any means and still has a slight dimple remaining in the wear indicator. I'll have to rotate them tonight or tomorrow before it's too late. I figure by the time the rear wears, the front will be truly spent as well.
    As far as safety goes, I mostly commute and rarely venture more than 20 miles away from home or hardly take on any fast descents over 10 seconds long so I should be ok.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I forgot this was the OP and all of the specifics. This thread is getting old and I usually don't re-read posts. My bad.
  • chivalryder
    Options

There is def a slight sag on rear as I ride. I did get the Berto tire pressure app and it said I needed like 160 psi and for me to get within the proper range for the 25mm Conti US I would need to weigh around 200 lb max. Yeah... not gonna happen. Haha

This is why I have opted to go with mountain bikes, hybrids, touring bikes, and commuters. I'm currently riding on 2" tires. With my 240lbs *kitten* and a small load on the back, the rear tire is only holding 40-45psi and the front is holding 35-40 psi.

Very, very comfy. I don't feel any slower. Also, I have a background in mountain biking, so whenever I see a dirt trail, I end up turning down it.

Theoretically, with 2" tires, filled to their max PSI, the total weight the tires can carry is somewhere around 350 lbs.

Skinny tires can't carry very much, comparatively.

I should also mention, I'm not interested in racing. I'm working towards getting into bicycle touring. Skinny tires are useless for that, unless you're staying in motels every night, which I will not. I'll happily lose 2 or 3 mph cruising speed if it dramatically increases my comfort and surfaces I can ride on.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options

This is why I have opted to go with mountain bikes, hybrids, touring bikes, and commuters. I'm currently riding on 2" tires. With my 240lbs *kitten* and a small load on the back, the rear tire is only holding 40-45psi and the front is holding 35-40 psi.

Very, very comfy. I don't feel any slower. Also, I have a background in mountain biking, so whenever I see a dirt trail, I end up turning down it.

Theoretically, with 2" tires, filled to their max PSI, the total weight the tires can carry is somewhere around 350 lbs.

I should also mention, I'm not interested in racing. I'm working towards getting into bicycle touring. Skinny tires are useless for that, unless you're staying in motels every night, which I will not. I'll happily lose 2 or 3 mph cruising speed if it dramatically increases my comfort and surfaces I can ride on.

Good info. Thanks. I do have an MTB. Albeit a heavy steel 29/29er (29lbs/29") but it's durable as all hell. I used to commute with it last year but decided to n+1 in the offseason and wanted something I could train on. It was either the RB or a CX. Part of me wishes I bought the CX cuz like you, I love to hit a newly discovered trail to see where it leads. I do love the speed and response of the RB though.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Good info. Thanks. I do have an MTB. Albeit a heavy steel 29/29er (29lbs/29") but it's durable as all hell. I used to commute with it last year but decided to n+1 in the offseason and wanted something I could train on. It was either the RB or a CX. Part of me wishes I bought the CX cuz like you, I love to hit a newly discovered trail to see where it leads. I do love the speed and response of the RB though.

My current do-it-all bike weights a hefty 33 lbs dry, and I need a bigger frame.

I, on the other hand, weight 240 lbs. I could do with losing at least 60 lbs. No point in dropping 10 lbs on the bike if I can't drop 20 off my own *kitten*. :tongue:

I love the versatility of it though. I'll be getting some touring tires so I can decent grip on all surfaces and the thread will be smooth so there will be less rolling resistance. It's not the fastest anywhere, but I can ride it literally anywhere I want, short of loose, soft surfaces.

Sure, I won't be able to keep up with the spandex-clad guys with calves as big as my thighs and I'll be a complete turd going up hills (that's more my problem than the bike), but road, dirt, gravel, rocks, packed snow, ice (with studs), grass, wood, rain, sun, sleet, you name it. I can ride in it.

I can train on it, tour, commute, have a blast through the forest,

I'm eccentric though. I don't follow the n+1 formula. I much prefer n=1. I put the extra money I would have spent on another bike into an investment. Then I'm be closer to financial independence at a younger age where I can ride my one bike all day, every day, and never have to sit in an office, wishing I were out riding my bike.
  • m1xm0d3
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whelp.... I am back here after 3 flats in about 2 weeks. All on the rear.
    The first I could not tell where the hole was because when I removed the tire the tube had a 3" long gash in it. Maybe from the removal or something. Not sure.
    The second had just a tiny slit in it that I could not identify on the tire itself. I didn't see any signs of damage or puncture anywhere.
    After the second flat I took my time looking at the wheel and didn't notice any areas of concern other than the rim tape looked slightly offset to the center of the rim. IE-the deepest section of the wheel, where the spokes go through, it's flush on the left side, but goes up the rise a bit on the drive side. I'll check the rim tape seam for an edge. It's gotta be that. (I hope). I'll do yet another inspection this evening.

When looking online for rim tape, how do I know what width I need? I see anything from 17mm-22mm. Tires are 25mm.

After replacing the tube I went for two 1 hour rides on the trainer without issue. Today was my first ride out on the road since replacing the tube.

I spoke to the LBS and they recommended Specialized rim strips over the velox cloth. I am very reluctant to try another non-cloth strip. Advice?
  • Archon2
    Options
    IMO, go for the cloth tape. Measure the inner trough of the rim, it should be wide enough to cover that completely.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Thanks, Archon.

I did just that. I took the tube, tire & rim to the LBS and they inspected the tape and it was an identical match to Specialized rim strips. LBS guy said the tape was a little off center but otherwise fine so that not sitting well with me, I decided to get the Velox rim tape and they installed and remounted for free. The cloth tape was wide. Wide enough to cover the entire rim from bead to bead (as in the guy had to use a tool to tuck the tape under where the bead sits)
    I took a 16 mile ride once I got home and seems ok, for now. *crossing fingers*
  • Archon2
    Options
    Good luck, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I weigh 285 also but haven't had any flats. I run 100-120psi in my tires. I did change out the wheels to 36 spokes. Originally had 16 spokes on the front wheel and 20 in the back.
  • Archon2
    Options
    Any update M1 since you changed to cloth rim tape?