Carb Loading for Half

Options
skippygirlsmom
skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
Okay experts talk to me about carb loading for a half. It's my first and it's this Sunday the 12th. Important? Doesn't matter? How much? My longest race to date is a 10K I didn't really do anything except eat more of my normal 1400 calories in carbs instead of proteins the day before and the morning of had my go to plain bagel. I did run most of the course during a training run before hand I had a half of McDonald's egg white delight LOL so healthy. I usually run in the morning fasted if that's important.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find that carb loading -- as long as you're not stuffing yourself til you explode -- is pretty helpful, especially since this is your first race of this distance! I would recommend you start purposefully eating more carbs on Friday and then eat lots on Saturday. I typically will do a lot of pretzels, and then pasta with fish and veggies for dinner in the evening -- actually, I religiously eat mac and cheese, tuna, and sweet peas. I haven't eaten anything else before a long run or half/full marathon since last June. On days before races/long runs, I typically will eat ~1600-1700 calories even though I'm not running (typically my net is set at 1480).

Also: HYDRATE!! You should be peeing all the time, at every opportunity, the 2 days before race day! I find this to be the most difficult part of race prep as sometimes I forget to drink anything for hours at a time. Oops.

Also a unique suggestion: Sometimes I find that having one beer with dinner the night before can help me relax, get to sleep a bit easier, and helps, uh... get the traffic moving a little quicker on race morning. A shandy the night before and a coffee the morning of and I'm cleared out and ready to race! Plus, beer has carbs, right? ;)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Kristine nailed it! I don't stuff myself until I feel sick, but I definitely don't count calories. Also, pay attention to your nutrition throughout the week--not just the two days before.

(I second the beer the night before, and yes, coffee and a cozy bathroom on race morning. :smile: )
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Totally unnecessary for a half. Just eat normally in the days leading up to the race. Maybe eat at maintenance for the last couple days. Eat safe foods. Nothing new prior to or on race day. Hydrate well in the 3 days leading up to the race.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What is your goal time? I carb load for races that are more in the 3 hour range. I use the Matt Fitzgerald method: 3 days prior to the race with 70% of my intake coming from carbs. Then a breakfast of very high carb content 3 hours before the race. I use OJ and nutrition shakes a lot to add carbs without feeling bleh.

Again...only for long races, never for one lasting 2 hours or less.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't carb load per se for a half marathon, but usually the meal I eat the night before is centered around carbs rather than high in protein. Also, if you are used to functioning on 1400 calories, then that may work for you, but personally, I would perform sluggishly on that little. I always make sure I have enough fuel for a race. And, as others have said, hydrate!
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Did the training run on the egg white delight go well? If so- eat that. :) Go with what works- nothing new on race day! (or for dinner the night before!)
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.

@carrieendar I'm going to start with the 2:15 pace group and see how I feel at at mile 5 or 6 about moving forward (or heaven forbid backwards LOL). I usually suck for the first couple of miles and then get in my groove. I ran about 12.4 miles of the course in the training run and averaged an 11 min pace, so I feel good with the 2:15. My goal is really to finish with no walking which I'm confident I will do. Yeah no matter what I do it'll be a PR right? :smile: The race is at 7:00 so I don't think I'll be able to get a high carb breakfast in 3 hours before.

@carsonruns that is why I asked, I heard it wasn't necessary either. I agree 100% on safe foods.

@jennalink807 funny about the McDonald's I was running an errand and grabbed it and after I ate half of it I was like duh stupid because I knew I was going home to grab my stuff to go run.

I will definitely eat at maintenance for a few days leading up, more carbs and less proteins. I'm good at hydrating, the ladies room at work and I are best of friends. @kristinegift Love the idea of the beer LOL, not a fan of coffee, but I'm adding in "bathroom" time to my alarm time in the morning.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    #1. I don't think you need it for a half.
    #2. No white or heavy sauce on your pasta. I learned that the hard way this last weekend. My stomach was in pain by mile 15 and I was regretting the previous night's chicken fettuccine alfredo.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that people don't stress carbo loading anymore because their is Goo. What I read said that one Goo packet give you as much as carbo loading will, so why bother? Just carry a Goo.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression carb loading for a half was unnecessary, and that you should just eat normal foods, and foods you normally eat (nothing new).
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    #1. I don't think you need it for a half.
    #2. No white or heavy sauce on your pasta. I learned that the hard way this last weekend. My stomach was in pain by mile 15 and I was regretting the previous night's chicken fettuccine alfredo.

@_waffle_ I'm sorry your fettuccine came back to get you :-1: Nothing worse than your stomach feeling like crap when you are running.

@tufel I haven't tried Goo, I might in the future. I am loving Clif Shot Bloks cherry and did my trail run on the course them. Some of the other things make me so thirsty these did not.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to reply.