Elimination Diet and Fibromyalgia/ Controlling Pain as Naturally as Possible

Options
dunedingirl
dunedingirl Posts: 12 Member

I have officially gone off the rails and feel horrible. Heavier than when I started. Birthdays, spring and lots of other excuses. I went to my library and got some books on diets for people with auto-immune diseases and others to jump start my metabolism. I am starting an elimination diet tomorrow and have a very strict protocol to follow and need to be strict with my diet. I will weigh myself tomorrow, log it in even though I will shudder and do this for myself once and for all. I have severe inflammation right now and need to get well because I leave for Europe in a few weeks and need to feel good or great would be better! I would love to be friends with other people who have fibromyalgia and trying to control it naturally. I will have my diary open for anyone to look at and hope you will comment if you have constructive info. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this before or would like to join me! Scale is out and ready, measure everything and walk 5 times a week. No alcohol and no excuses ;)

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Been living with fibromyalgia for fifteen years. I do take Savella, but have found that a low carb (50 g or less) helps me a lot. Good luck! Every journey begins with the first step!

Am sending a friend request!
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    what has turned things around for me is getting rid of the inflammation by eliminating bread,whitepasta,cookies, cakes, and candy. I have a pc of 72% dark chocholate almost every day. Now although I said eliminate I do indulge once in great while. It did take some time to adjust but I feel almost normal. I eat a lot of lean meats (nothing processed)fruits,veggies,nuts,seeds and berries and I workout 5 days a week it was hard at first but I always thought well I'm going to hurt no matter what I'm doing so I might as well excersise! I am not taking any meds. I went down that road for years and for me it seemed to make things worse. I also have peripherial neouropathy,sjogrenes,fibro. My diet is high protein moderate carbs and lower fat 20 to 30% anyway hope this helps.
  • dunedingirl
    dunedingirl Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, Tuesday will be 3 weeks since I started eating clean and cutting out a lot of things from my diet. I feel better than I have in years, people say I'm glowing (which I find amusing) and I was down 9 lbs. in 2 weeks & will update when I weigh myself Tuesday.
    After Tuesday, I start reintroducing foods and write down what effect it has on my body. Gluten Wednesday, clean diet for the next 2 days, then dairy for a whole day then 2 days of clean again. I will be interested to see what causes the inflammation.......if you're wondering what diet I'm following, it's by Dr Junger but I am not following it to that extreme. I have a smoothie in the morning and solid food for lunch and dinner.
    I have added a glutamine supplement in the morning as soon as I wake up and let it sit in my stomach for 20 minutes or so before drinking a big glass of water, then my smoothie. Light lunch and then dinner. I take a 1/2 teaspoon of Natural Calm around 9pm, which is a magnesium supplement. I also bought a Clean kit from Whole Foods for $13.99 which included milk thistle, fiber and an all natural herbal laxative which is not as bad as you think. Not that kind of laxative...no bad feelings at all.

If anyone has any questions or advice, I would love to hear it. Heading to Europe next month and want to find out what is causing me so much pain all the time...So far, SO GOOD :)

I would love new friends that log in on a consistent basis and can keep me on the straight and narrow. So far I have not cheated and feel so good I don't want to!!!!
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 9 lbs down! That's so fantastic! Most importantly congrats on feeling better :) I think that's the most important part! I have fibromyalgia maybe - my doctor hasn't officially diagnosed me, but it's been a year so hopefully at my next physical she will (she was waiting on me getting an MRI first). I also have PCOS so that's not helping anything either. I felt my best last August when I started sleeping better (thanks to meds) and doing yoga. I want that feeling back! I'm back to logging consistently after a brief hiatus while I finished grad school. I prefer to heal my body through diet and exercise as well. I think I'm going to look up the the one you're doing... My goal is to stop taking meds to sleep (even though it's the lowest dose possible). Feel free to friend me if you want! :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Good for you @dunedingirl, so glad you are feeling better!