Let's make this group active again!!!!

Options
indianarose2
indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
I've been off of MFP for a while but started up again for Lent. I feel like I have gotten back my healthy eating and exercising habits and now need to restart my spiritual health habits!! How about it? :-)

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Okay! I am in!
  • intrigare
    intrigare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but it's lonely here, lol :(
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, @drcrisos.

Yes, it’s awfully quiet in this group. My latest Catholic fitness-related musing has been whether people in religious orders ever have the time and resources to work out. I kind of doubt that they’re allowed to have gym memberships... not sure if they can even own gym clothes. You could always do a body weight workout, if you have the free time and something appropriate to wear... hmm.
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning yellowantphil. I guess your musing would depend greatly on the type of religious "order" you are "musing" about. Active or contemplative religious life? I would think that the contemplative life would be Monks that have a life of daily prayer and contemplation while serving their community. Interesting question that if you are called to go into that life, would going to the gym be something that would be on your mind/daily scheduled...... I do not know much about such things and actually never even stopped to wonder. I just appreciate that they do what they do and find it inspiring that their are people in this world that want to concentrate solely on God and do HIS will instead of getting lost in this broken world. We need that kind of devotion and love to filter out into whatever we are all called to do in HIS name. I do believe the world would not be such a scary place. Nice thought I think :)
    Have a great day! Hope you have a great workout at the gym.
  • yellowantphil
    Options
    I am going to ask a Jesuit about the possibility of working out, when I get a chance. I have serious doubts that, say, a Benedictine monk leaves his abbey often enough to get to a gym, even if he somehow had a membership. But Jesuits? Maybe... I get the impression that they move around more, but I don’t really know. Maybe I’ll start a new thread about it if I learn anything.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi, @drcrisos.

Yes, it’s awfully quiet in this group. My latest Catholic fitness-related musing has been whether people in religious orders ever have the time and resources to work out. I kind of doubt that they’re allowed to have gym memberships... not sure if they can even own gym clothes. You could always do a body weight workout, if you have the free time and something appropriate to wear... hmm.

We gave our priest a few months membership at the gym and he subsequently joined...
  • indianarose2
    Options
    That is cool ^^! Many religious orders do have recreation/exercise built into their day. The few specific orders I know The Nashville Dominicans and the Sisters of Life are extremely active biking, outdoor games... The RC/LC play some mean basketball and soccer and hike a lot.

So glad to see some folks here. It never showed up in my groups that people were posting here!
  • yellowantphil
    Options
    That is cool ^^! Many religious orders do have recreation/exercise built into their day. The few specific orders I know The Nashville Dominicans and the Sisters of Life are extremely active biking, outdoor games... The RC/LC play some mean basketball and soccer and hike a lot.

Cool, that’s encouraging. I’m just starting to look into religious orders. I also recently started weightlifting and exercising, so I’m trying to figure out if I could do both. I talked to a Jesuit the other day, but I didn’t have a chance to ask him about that.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    No idea about weight training l but everyone I know in the religious life is very healthy & long-lived. Good for the soul and the body! Prayers for your discernment!