Buying a dress size too small?

Options
emsjay73
emsjay73 Posts: 11 Member
have any of you ladies been tempted to buy a dress in a size that's smaller than you are right now... Planning on being smaller when your big day comes? I have my heart set on a dress that costs a fortune... I've found it on sale, at an absolute bargain price but problem is its two sizes smaller than I am right now! I don't get married til June 2016 so I have plenty of time... I just can't help worrying!!!

Replies

• ketowerdefense
    ketowerdefense Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    How much of a bargain? If it were just one size, I'd say go for it, but losing two dress sizes is quite daunting, especially since you have to lose it pretty much all over, if it's a form-fitting gown.

Wearing a GG cup, I know that I'm not going to be happy with the number on the size of my wedding gown no matter what, because they'll have to order several sizes up to accomodate the ladies, and then alter down for the rest of me (which will hopefully be smaller when I get around to wedding dress shopping!)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I feel like that's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. What happens if you don't lose the weight? I'd see what can be done about sizing the dress up a bit (corsets are very forgiving with this!) before taking the plunge.
  • CharissaGudknecht
    CharissaGudknecht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would not do that but that is just me. It is way easier to size the dress down than up. Plus wedding dress sizes are weird. The dress that I ordered is 2 sizes bigger than the size I normally wear. I am just going to get is tailored to fit. Honestly I really want to lose weight for my wedding day but I picked a dress that I loved myself even if I didn't lose a pound. :) We all deserve to feel beautiful and worthy of love at any size.
  • bowties_r_cool
    bowties_r_cool Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did purchase my gown a couple sizes smaller. I was that size semi recently, in the past 2 and 1/2 years, although because of injury I let myself gain some weight. I am determined to fit into all my smaller clothes in my closet so bought my dress from a sample sale. It is a size similar to my middle sized clothes. I am making progress and only have another inch to go in my waist for my dress to fit perfect. I have to admit it is a lot of stress making sure I eat right every day and workout regularly since I am now getting down to the wire. I would suggest to other people not to go down this path. Even if you leave yourself enough time (I bought my dress a year ago) I kept thinking "Oh I still have time" so I didn't start until after the winter holidays and now I have very limited wiggle room for holidays or mess ups. On top of the wedding planning stress you don't need this one to add to the pile.

Wedding Date: 10/31/2015
    Dress Fitting Date: 7/31/2015
    Started Losing Weight: 12/26/2014
    Starting Weight: 164lbs
    Current Weight: 145lbs
    Goal Weight: 135lbs
  • emsjay73
    emsjay73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So ladies I did it... My wedding is week on Saturday and I lost all the weight I wanted to and got in the dress two sizes smaller than I was (which is actually 3 sizes smaller because bridal runs small!!)

However I do not recommend doing this to anyone, it's been so stressful! Back in January I found out I was pregnant, I sadly miscarried at 11 weeks. This meant that I had 3 or so months of no dieting... In fact I wasn't thinking of diet at all! I found myself at the beginning of April with 2 and a bit months left and a whole heap of weight still to go! My point is, no matter how long you have you don't know what lies ahead... As they always say, you can take a dress in but you can't let it out... And believe me there's enough stress around without adding to it yourself!

Good luck ladies and I'll post pics when I'm back off my honeymoon
  • cettefemme
    cettefemme Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    [sorry for replying to an old thread]

I bought my dress in February 2016 (I just went to browse and then fell in love with one...oops) for my August 2017 wedding. It fit me perfectly at that time, but I've since gained 20lbs (well, lost 5lbs so far, so net 15!) due to a stressful lifestyle, overworking, lack of exercise, and illness (I was very sick with pneumonia for two months in Oct/Nov and was bedbound but still eating the same amount)...so I didn't *intend* to buy a goal dress, but it's turned out that way! It's a good motivator but I'm also a bit scared - it's a dress that very much emphasises my small waist (well, proportionally speaking) and hourglass figure, but that waist was 4 inches bigger at the end of 2016 than the beginning of 2016 and there is very little leeway for weight gain in the dress. Not sure if I've lost anything off my waist yet, but I'll need to keep an eye on that in particular.

I lost 5lbs in the first month of this year and have six months until the wedding, so if I keep losing at the same pace, I should be more than fine. Trying to take it easy and not lose all at once only to gain it back closer to the time.
  • blondie__0x
    blondie__0x Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cettefemme wrote: »
    [sorry for replying to an old thread]

I bought my dress in February 2016 (I just went to browse and then fell in love with one...oops) for my August 2017 wedding. It fit me perfectly at that time, but I've since gained 20lbs (well, lost 5lbs so far, so net 15!) due to a stressful lifestyle, overworking, lack of exercise, and illness (I was very sick with pneumonia for two months in Oct/Nov and was bedbound but still eating the same amount)...so I didn't *intend* to buy a goal dress, but it's turned out that way! It's a good motivator but I'm also a bit scared - it's a dress that very much emphasises my small waist (well, proportionally speaking) and hourglass figure, but that waist was 4 inches bigger at the end of 2016 than the beginning of 2016 and there is very little leeway for weight gain in the dress. Not sure if I've lost anything off my waist yet, but I'll need to keep an eye on that in particular.

I lost 5lbs in the first month of this year and have six months until the wedding, so if I keep losing at the same pace, I should be more than fine. Trying to take it easy and not lose all at once only to gain it back closer to the time.

Good luck! I bought mine in August of 2017 and I won't see my dress again till late March. I'm hoping I've slimmed down a bit, because I did buy a 'mermaid' style to show off the weight I did lose. But every now and then when I'm down I get nervous if I made the right decision. That's something I have to work on though.