Training and fatigue?

Options
neurorat
neurorat Posts: 73 Member
Hi ya'll!

I have noticed that I have waxing and waning fatigue since I started this bout of marathon training. I tried adding more carbs to my diet to no avail. There are some days where I just feel blah, sore and tired. Today is one of those days. I am in the midst of a flare making my right leg numb through the dorsal aspect of my foot, however I have this happen even without noticeable physical symptoms, too.

What do you all do to shake out of what I assume is an MS funk?

All ideas appreciated :-)

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Rest. Your body is telling you that you need it. You are in a flare and you need to give your body what it needs to heal. Yes, you can push on through, but I'm not sure if that's helpful in the long run. If you can find time to nap and get some extra sleep at night, it might be helpful.
  • happyjenny
    happyjenny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I trained last year for the half, it was frustrating, because living with MS one day to the next it want consistent. I couldn't watch myself get stronger
    Ike most people because there would be days I was as weak as an old woman and the next strong as can be...Keeping a detail symptom log helped and it showed me it passes and is temporary. I have a very distinct pattern of "bad" days right before my period. So it helps to know why I guess.

I gave up training any more as it all became too mentally taxing as I am a mom of 3 ( ages 10,11 and 12) And a business owner, and I was worried I was just asking my body too much. Still want to wish it different and may go back when my daily to do list is smaller...

Good luck and be kind to yourself on those ever so familiar "off" days.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps with the MS fatigue - "the wall" I like to call it - is rest. It's like you said one day you are great and the next you can't find the energy to walk across the room. But, as a business owner you know you can't just stop so you forge ahead and do your job and then go home and do "the mom thing" and hope that you don't fall flat on your face from exhaustion.

Your body needs rest and putting yourself last only works for so long. The MS will slap you down hard if you don't pay attention to the signs and then where will you be?

Take care.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I have pulled back my training this week and have been running slower, just for fun. I am hoping this will rekindle my
    love of running and reset my batteries. I have noticed that training isn't fun anymore, and if it isn't fun what's the point?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The hardest and most important lesson I have learned is to rest when I need it. When I listen to my body I can do so much more, when I ignore my body I get bit@$ slapped every time. When I pay attention and rest I can do so much more, with far less down time.
  • hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Rest is essential and you can then do more, and much more sometimes. It's a balancing act.