OK to substitute in with long run in marathon training?

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I'm doing my third road marathon in in a few weeks and am now tapering. After the marathon, I'd like to keep up the mileage and shoot for my first trail ultra - 50K - in June.

I ran 22 miles last weekend. I'm supposed to do 17 this weekend, 12 the next, then the marathon. I saw a trail run coming up this weekend which is 13.1 miles/3,500 feet. I'm thinking of substituting that for the 17 mile road run but would appreciate input. Seems the effort and time on my feet for the trail half would be the same or greater than the 17 mile road run that I'm supposed to do. I've done plenty of trail runs over the past couple years and a 20-miler within the past month or so and back-to-back trail halfs a few weekends ago.

Should I just stick to the marathon training and save the trails until May? Or, is it ok to do the trail half instead of the 17 mile road run? Am I incorrect in thinking that the actual distance or the run doesn't matter so much as the time and effort?

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think you could do the trail race if it will be a similar effort; you'll have 2 weeks to recover even if it is harder than you expected. However, personally, I wouldn't do it because I'd be terrified of injuring myself on a trail that close to the marathon. But I'm a worry wart ;)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'd do it. Sounds like fun.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    trails are better for my bones, and I recover quicker from trail than road (even if trails are typically more 'rolling'), so I would go for it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My biggest thought on this is will you be able to treat it as a long run and not be tempted to race it?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would want the steady state aerobic benefit of a more controlled running route. Trails have their place, but I'd be hesitant to sub one out for a long run. Especially a longer trail run that could potentially add recovery time or worse, twist your ankle this close to marathon day.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    go for it! you only live once! you're also an experienced trail runner.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This far into your training I personally would stay with the program. There's other trail runs to be had.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If your marathon is only 2 weeks away, I don't think the difference between 17 and 13 is going to be that significant, assuming you've done all of your other long runs. I would go for it.