Hard workouts during taper

Options
Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
So we all know the best way to taper is to cut volume but keep up intensity. Tell me about the type of workouts you do while tapering for a half, full or shorter race.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    A light session at race pace in the week before, e.g. 3 x 1 mile @ hmp off 2 mins the Tuesday before a Sunday half marathon.

I'd race a 5k two weeks before a full marathon while tapering, except this time, when I'm racing a 2.9 mile relay leg (or a 5.88 mile one if they talk me into it in the car on the way down).
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I usually do a bit of speed work like 800s or 400s to get some bounce back in the legs. I kinda stop all "hard workouts" 10-7 days out for a marathon. I might do a few easy miles with the last 1-2 "fast" type of thing the last 2 weeks of a taper
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    So, in last week's taper workout day, I did 3x2000 then 3x200. This week there are 800s in my plan for tuesday but at a controlled "cruise interval" pace.

My last long run was suppose to be 12 w/6MP and it ended up being 11 with 5 mp then a cool down mile.

I think I will take the idea to do some marathon pace miles in some of my easy runs this week to try and "dial in" the pace. I find that I jump around a bit, HMP feels very good and is very easy to find. When I realize I am going to fast, I slow and it ends up being just above MP. Hopefully some race day magic will help take care of that problem!
  • vcphil
    Options
    Are you getting excited for Boston? I will be thankful for my garmin on race day :-) I think it might be very easy to misjudge the pace of the first half of the race- that's what I am mainly scared for. I know the crowds and the downhills will be firing me up- just gotta stay controlled! Good luck & have a blast!!
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I am very excited! Friend told me they do pace tattoos at the expo, so I'm going to get one of those with a slightly negative split and hope for awesome weather!!
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack, but I will be at Boston too! I'm not really tapering since I had 2 months off with injury. I am trying to get back somewhere close to where I was. I am doing very little running this week, but hitting the elliptical like crazy. What is your wave/corral assignment?
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I'm in wave 2, corral 1...you ?! Excited???
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just want to say good luck at Boston, ya'll!! I'll be skipping class and watching on my laptop :]
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you gals. Hope to see you there one day (I either need to find 8 minutes in time or age 2 years lol). At any rate, good luck and, most importantly, have fun!!!!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you running Boston! I can't wait to hear races reports. :)
  • Wendy98
    Options
    I'm in 2/7. i was 2/1 last year! I am excited even though training was completely not what I wanted. I had a stress fracture in my femur. It still isn't a 100%, but good enough for a marathon. The orthopedic seems ok with me running. Boston is so special. There was no way I was missing it.

lporter229- 8 minutes? You can do it!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Wendy98 wrote: »
    Not to hijack, but I will be at Boston too! I'm not really tapering since I had 2 months off with injury. I am trying to get back somewhere close to where I was. I am doing very little running this week, but hitting the elliptical like crazy. What is your wave/corral assignment?

Not to hijack either but the BAA strongly suggests not posting close up pictures of your bin online. Someone can make a duplicate of it and bandit. Both of you can be disqualified.
  • vcphil
    Options
    I'm in wave 2 corall 3. thanks for the bin reminder! I almost forgot about last years bandits! :-)
  • vcphil
    Options
    Wendy98 wrote: »

Not to hijack either but the BAA strongly suggests not posting close up pictures of your bin online. Someone can make a duplicate of it and bandit. Both of you can be disqualified.

I also think her profile picture is from last years Boston
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you!
  • Wendy98
    Options
    Yep, last year's pic.