Okay .... I'm going to start on Monday!

chesves
chesves Posts: 224 Member
I'm excited and terrified at the same time (more excited!) .... I plan on doing my meal planning/shopping tomorrow for the week so I can ensure I have all foods/items ready. I still need to ready through all of the materials (a friend loaned me hers so I can decide for myself if I want to purchase)-- I have already read a lot here and on Pinterest.

I have a few questions that I'd love your input with ....

~how do you try to divide your day (i.e breakfast = which containers, snack , etc)--
~what has been the hardest thing for you so far?
~what did you wish you knew BEFORE you started?
~I normally have a cup of coffee each morning with 2 TB fat free/sugar free creamer--- can I still have that? What would that count as? I know I need to make modifications to fit my lifestyle, but want to stick as true to it as possible.

Again, I appreciate your input! All of your posts so far have inspired me to make this happen!

Replies

• jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Good for you!!!

Here is how I do my day- suggest you look at what you normally eat and try to build your plan around that.

Breakfast - eggs, veggies, toast - R 1/2 G Y
    Snack - Shakeology with banana - R P
    Lunch - salad with veggies, turkey, cheese, 1 T 21DF dressing, 1 T sunflower seeds - 1.5 G, 1 R, 1 B, 1 O
    Snack - Apple, peanut butter, cottage cheese - P Spoons R
    Dinner - chicken, broccoli, quinoa - R G Y

So it's plenty of food! You can do this!!! I'll let others answer the rest.

It seems so complicated in the beginning but after a couple of days it all falls into place.

Good luck! You've come to the right place!!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    @chesves I'll tackle the coffee question. I have a cup, sometimes two, every day. With organic half and half. Full fat, even! And I have BIG cups, more like 16 ozs! Obviously nothing is going to get in the way of my coffee, not even a colored container.

I don't count my coffee. This is totally and utterly bending the rules. Technically, the half and half is a huge no-no. It isn't even listed as an option. Even if it were listed, I don't even measure it when I pour it in.

I am not saying I'm a good example to follow. I am rigid about everything else in the meal plan and follow it very closely. But my cup of decaf (yes, I don't even drink regular coffee for the caffeine kick) is a part of my morning ritual. I've loved coffee since I was a child and dipped my toast in my mother's cup and I am still a devotee. Yes, I am losing weight in spite of my being a 21 Day Fix cheater but, for all I know, I would be losing more if I weren't so damned self-indulgent.
  • chesves
    @SatiaRenee Thanks! I want this to be a lifestyle change. I won't do as well if I can't make it fit ME! I'm happy about that!

I use a protein powder I bought occassionally--- can't afford the Shakeology --- if I mix it with 1/2 cup of 1% milk, would that still count as 1 red?

I haven't decided if I'm just going to measure everything out and rely on the containers, or track as well on mfp ----
  • cupcake570
    cupcake570 Posts: 86 Member
    @chesves I also have 1-2 cups a day with sugar free vanilla coffee mate and I'm still losing. I only drink coffee when it's cold so that'll be ending soon lol! But you're right, you don't want to deprive yourself or you might stray from the plan.
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    chesves wrote: »
    @SatiaRenee Thanks! I want this to be a lifestyle change. I won't do as well if I can't make it fit ME! I'm happy about that!

I use a protein powder I bought occassionally--- can't afford the Shakeology --- if I mix it with 1/2 cup of 1% milk, would that still count as 1 red?

I haven't decided if I'm just going to measure everything out and rely on the containers, or track as well on mfp ----

I think if you have milk you have to forgo a yellow container right? I haven't indulged in any liquid calories as I can't afford to give up one of my two little yellows
  • dawnkwiatek
    I'm only starting week three but I'll give you some of my thoughts, maybe something will work for you.

I write out my meal plans a week in advance. I use a sheet where I write it down then check the box for the color. I figure out dinner first because it's my favorite meal lol. Then I fill in the others. I have protein at all meals and then do a whey protein mix for a snack (red). I tried shakeology and I didn't care for it.

I have precooked black beans, brown rice and quinoa and proportioned then in ziplock baggies using the yellow as my measuring scoop. I freeze them and they are so quick and easy to defrost when needed.

I make sure to prep the night before. So I just pack my bag in the morning and go!
  • SatiaRenee
    @chesves The milk would cost you a yellow container. If that's not a problem for you, then I'd still suggest trying unsweetened almond milk. Lower in calories/carbs and will add a bit of protein. Not as much as the milk would add but still . . . it makes the shake soooooo creamy!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Hello all...starting Round 2 today. I really enjoy this simple yet challenging program. I assumed that the containers would be a bit overwhelming, but its gotten easier. The workouts are just enuff for me to do everyday, not to easy, and the hindsight to know...it will be over in 30 minutes. So my first round, I lost a total of 7.2 lbs(didn't measure inches as I should have), but I feel much better. Not to mention on day 17 I had guests come in from out of town, so their visit included a lot of drinking and eating that I wouldn't have done had they not come, so I could have probably lost upwards to 9 lbs instead of 7, but I can deal with the consequences of my actions. So my last workout was day 17 but figured its Monday...so I will jus start Round 2..determined to at least lose 7-9 lbs again. I have a Miami vacation coming up in June so I want to lose as much as I safely can by then. My goal for weight loss was 40 lbs, now its 32 :p ... so here's to another 21 days, support from this group, new friends, interesting recipes and fun, fun, fun!!!!
  • dawnkwiatek
    EHuntRN wrote: »
    Hello all...starting Round 2 today. I really enjoy this simple yet challenging program. I assumed that the containers would be a bit overwhelming, but its gotten easier. The workouts are just enuff for me to do everyday, not to easy, and the hindsight to know...it will be over in 30 minutes. So my first round, I lost a total of 7.2 lbs(didn't measure inches as I should have), but I feel much better. Not to mention on day 17 I had guests come in from out of town, so their visit included a lot of drinking and eating that I wouldn't have done had they not come, so I could have probably lost upwards to 9 lbs instead of 7, but I can deal with the consequences of my actions. So my last workout was day 17 but figured its Monday...so I will jus start Round 2..determined to at least lose 7-9 lbs again. I have a Miami vacation coming up in June so I want to lose as much as I safely can by then. My goal for weight loss was 40 lbs, now its 32 :p ... so here's to another 21 days, support from this group, new friends, interesting recipes and fun, fun, fun!!!!

Awesome! Good luck! you can do it
  • chesves
    Okay, I'm still not quite there .... I wanted to start today, but didn't get all the meal planning done. However, I am going to eat under calorie goal today, get the "day's workout" in (even with getting home very late tonight), and will do the best I can. I REALLY need to go to the grocery store to get food to be able to do this .... not sure that's going to happen tonight as sons' have two soccer games tonight an hour away from home.

In the past, I might have thrown up my hands at the thought of not reaching the goal I'd set for myself (to start today). Instead, I just refocused and said ... do the best you can, this is life, make it happen. At least get the workout in ....

I'm hoping to be able to get to the store just to get enough for a few days, and can then really do a full plan/prep week as I think that is best for me.

I appreciate this group, and the support that is here!
  • dawnkwiatek
    I like your outlook, do the best you can. It is life, roll with the punches. something is better than nothing. You've got this!
  • bfay1101
    bfay1101 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm doing the extreme and you can have coffee and tea but no cream or sugar or artificial sweeteners or anything like that. I figure I can hold out for 3 weeks and see how I feel after.
    For the food, I went through the food and decided on things that were affordable and that I liked. I'm the type that can eat pretty much the same thing everyday. I prep everything on Sundays. I have 2 containers of chopped cucumbers and peppers, 1 of chopped tomatoes, 1 of cooked quinoa, 1 of brown rice and 1 of chicken breast cooked that I chop up into the red container. I cook tilapia and refrigerate that as well as eat canned salmon and tuna.
    Once you get into the habit of it it's easy. You can definitely do it!
  • SatiaRenee
    @EHuntRN My goal for Round 2 is to lose 5 lbs. I lost 7 lbs the first time, which was absolutely more than I expected, and I figured that if I lowered my expectations, I may be pleasantly surprised a second time. ;)

@chesves I agree with @dkwi04! Great outlook. I often have to start where I am. In your case, not having the meal prep in place is not a reason not to get started on the exercise. Autumn says in one of the workouts: Be stronger than your excuses. I have to take a step back so many times to double check myself: Is this a reason or is this an excuse? There's a fine line between the two. So picture me, shaking some cheerleader pompoms at you, for doing what you can and knowing the difference!!! :p

@bevsargent66 We hardly ever eat the same foods around here because my husband and I both looooove to cook. But for breakfast and lunch, I don't have a lot of variety on the basic level. Love salads for lunch, eggs for breakfast, etc. However, I have several dressings on hand, use fresh herbs and have a lot of spices on hand. So even though I'm basically having the same things, they hardly taste the same on any given day. I'm definitely one that prefers a routine and having some solid habits in place keeps me from getting in my own way and making unhealthy choices. And we really do love food around here. :*
  • jlcbooth
    jlcbooth Posts: 35 Member
    HI all - just joined the group and wanted to say hi here. Chesves, I love your outlook too, and you sound like me. So much going on, not sure when I'll fit in more meal prep (I already do a lot) but what I've been doing - counting calories and trying to walk more, with a little bit of structured exercise when I can - is not working. I have a 9 month old and a husband who works long hours, so the only time I have for exercise is 4:30AM or 7:30PM - or later, and that's when I want to relax. But I am going to have to push myself.

Thanks for this thread!
  • SatiaRenee
    @jlcbooth I am a morning exerciser! I get up around 4ish, have some coffee and email a friend (because I am not a morning person and need time to wake up enough to function) and then I exercise. Not easy but well worth it because when I exercise in the morning, it's that much easier for me to avoid the temptations I might face throughout my day!
  • bfay1101
    bfay1101 Posts: 35 Member
    I switch it up between morning exercise and night exercise. Right now I'm doing it after work around 5:30-6, then I make dinner (all prepped in the fridge) and get lunch together for work the next day. By the time I get to sit down and relax it's almost 8.. I'm pooped come 10pm so I head off the bed..
    Very boring life at the moment but it's only 21 days!
  • inukshuk1960
    inukshuk1960 Posts: 27 Member
    I get up early and workout in the morning otherwise it wouldn't get done at all. I sometimes throw in an extra in the evening so I am hoping when I get to the double ups I can do the second one then. I have a tendency to find excuses in the evening
  • embwathen
    embwathen Posts: 2 Member
    I am just starting a 21 day program tomorrow. I'm a tad apprehensive but I know it's all on me to do it or not.
  • SatiaRenee
    @embwathen I think we all felt a little apprehensive at first. I didn't even use weights the first week because I wanted to see what modifications were offered and gauge whether or not I would need to modify more than Kat does. (You'll meet Kat in the DVDs. And, yes, I do have to modify a few things above and beyond what she does.) Nonetheless, I still lost weight! And inches!!!

Be sure to check-in every day. We have a daily check-in thread that's great because even if it's your Day 1 and someone else's Day 8 or 15, we're all pretty much doing the same workout on the same day. We'll all in this together!
  • gcastro76
    gcastro76 Posts: 1 Member
    embwathen wrote: »
    I am just starting a 21 day program tomorrow. I'm a tad apprehensive but I know it's all on me to do it or not.
    I'm starting tomorrow too! I'm excited.