Struggles

Options
I as many I struggle daily. I have a hard time sharing the fact that I had surgery at all for fear of judgements. People praise me all the time on how good I look. I am still not happy with what I see in the mirror. My skin is an issue (sagging) and of course my midsection is not going down as much as I would like. I know I need to exercise but have not really found the motivation for that yet. I have found myself taking bites here and there of things I know I should not eat. I don't want to backslide.

I need help and encouragement! Is there any one out there who wants to help kick my butt in gear?

Surgery: 9/17/14
BW: 221
CW: 148
GW: 130

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You know what you need to do. I asked myself if I have come all this way just to give up in the eleventh hour? I'm 4 pounds from my goal and yesterday I ate badly all day; pie, cheese cake, hash browns and gravy, sausage, and trail mix.

Today is a new day and I'm back on task tomorrow will be an hour strength training and Tuesday water aerobic exercise Wednesday strength training again Thursday and Friday the same thing. I just do it, and now I have met friends at the gym and pool, increasing my motivation to go.

The muscles that I'm building are helping with the sagging skin. Skin also has subcutaneous fat to loose, and might help with toning.

So get up and let's go!
  • sarimc01
    sarimc01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing well!
    You ARE being successful!
    Don't stop now, you know you can reach your goal. Be good to yourself!!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Like sarimc01 says, you are doing awesome! Try adding in cardio and strength training. I hate cario --- but I know that it is crucial in becoming healthier. And the strength training has really started making me feel better because I feel stronger and can see long-lost muscles. The scale may even stay the same as you lose inches and firm up but it all counts towards becoming the best you that you can be!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    One of the things I have learned over the past year is how important it is to be self-aware without beating myself up. This is a long game we are playing (the rest of our lives!) and a small lull or setback doesn't change anything. If your priorities are to add exercise, make it happen. It doesn't have to happen all at once. In fact, gradually increasing exercise will likely make it more sustainable.

I approached my exercise as a number of times per week goal, and intentionally didn't kill myself at any one gym visit. Persistence over intensity and persistence over perfection worked for me.

You've got this!

Rob

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    One of the things I have learned over the past year is how important it is to be self-aware without beating myself up. This is a long game we are playing (the rest of our lives!) and a small lull or setback doesn't change anything. If your priorities are to add exercise, make it happen. It doesn't have to happen all at once. In fact, gradually increasing exercise will likely make it more sustainable.

I approached my exercise as a number of times per week goal, and intentionally didn't kill myself at any one gym visit. Persistence over intensity and persistence over perfection worked for me.

You've got this!

Rob

^^^ THIS! Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for being scared of sharing about having surgery, sometimes you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. On my year surgiversary (April 7th) I "outed" myself on Facebook and made a post about having surgery and my experiences over the last year; most of my close friends and family already knew as I'm pretty open about it anyway. Not one of the 78 comments or 4 messages I've received so far was negative - although, heaven help the person that ever tries to give me a hard time about having surgery. haha
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »

You've got this!

Rob

^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You and I had surgery right around the same time (I was 9/10/14). I am finding that the novelty and the excitement is wearing off and I have to look into myself for why I want to keep going to get these last 20 pound off. Posting here is a great start. Listening to Rob is a great start. Feel free to add me if you are looking for friends who are doing this with you. You can get through the funk!
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful words of wisdom and encouragement! I did do some cardio this morning on the xbox fitness at home:) So at least that is a start! If I can just keep getting myself out of bed in to morning to do it.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You have done a great job so far, now it's time to move to the next level. The weather is getting nice and that always gives me motivation. Try finding exercise that you enjoy. Try something new. I have to schedule my exercise like an appointment and just do it. Getting there is the hardest, just get yourself to start.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Rob is correct. Don't go at exercise like you have to do it all and commit to hours in the gym. Start with a manageable amount of time, like a 1/2 hr and a goal for 3 days per week. Gradually build up from there as you can. It won't be as intimidating then. You have done a great job so far, so I know you can do this too!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing. I exercise everyday, it makes me feel better. I do it for the weight loss too, but it really helps with the head issues. Best stress reliever I have. I started out a half hour 3 days a week, you will hurt, but it will be worth it. Don't beat yourself up, today is a new day.
  • JreedyJanelle
    Options
    I as many I struggle daily. I have a hard time sharing the fact that I had surgery at all for fear of judgements. People praise me all the time on how good I look. I am still not happy with what I see in the mirror. My skin is an issue (sagging) and of course my midsection is not going down as much as I would like. I know I need to exercise but have not really found the motivation for that yet. I have found myself taking bites here and there of things I know I should not eat. I don't want to backslide.

I need help and encouragement! Is there any one out there who wants to help kick my butt in gear?

Surgery: 9/17/14
    BW: 221
    CW: 148
    GW: 130

If you really want your butt kicked I can do it.!!

You are so pretty, don't give up, this is a life long challenge.

I have lost, and regained all my life. Been to goal a few times and then gained it all back, want to know why? I didn't exercise, oh I did a bit of walking, but no strength training no crazy cardio. I was soon back in my old ways and habits. I was a sneak eater.

Get out there and move. Start slow but move every day. Find a gym, meet people, get out of the rut. Believe me when you get home from the gym, all sweaty and spent from the workout the last thing you will do is grab a cookie.

I am now 62 years old, and I keep up with everyone in class, I may not jump as high, but I still jump. I work out every single day. I drag my athlete husband to the gym, and any one else in my family. They know it is my priority to workout. What a waste of all those years that I could have been fit and healthy.

Do I tell everyone I had VSG, NO none of their business, They see me workout, sweat, and eat right.

WE will never be models, We will always be our worst critics, we will never be happy with our bodies, but we can make our bodies as strong as we can, and as healthy as we can.
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Even though I have been in a funk most of the week I have worked out for the last 3 days at home. I have a young son and don't really have time or money for the gym so I have been using my son's xbox and using xbox fitness. I am doing the fat burner cardio right now it's not a lot but its something. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement it means a lot. Happy Thursday all:)
  • JreedyJanelle
    Options
    I am glad you are working out! I realize not everyone can go to gym! Having young children can be hard at times but try to incorporate them with exercise. It really does help so much. I hope all is well and you are over your funk! Keep in mind why you did this, for your health, family, and you. You deserve this!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i dont get to exercise nearly as much as i should be right now, but i just saw the physical exercise clinician at my surgery office for my 6 week post op check..she gave me some great tips on using resistance bands to help get and keep those longer lean muscles, in addition to the mid lvl cardio i have been able to get in..i bought a pack of the 3 level resistance bands from Target for bout $9, and she said there are many free videos on youtube to follow along with that you dont need to spend money on, and it can be just as useful to helping with the tightening of the sagging skin as using weight machines, started them yesterday and yep, those muscles are singing today..lol :smile:
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    duffslove wrote: »
    i dont get to exercise nearly as much as i should be right now, but i just saw the physical exercise clinician at my surgery office for my 6 week post op check..she gave me some great tips on using resistance bands to help get and keep those longer lean muscles, in addition to the mid lvl cardio i have been able to get in..i bought a pack of the 3 level resistance bands from Target for bout $9, and she said there are many free videos on youtube to follow along with that you dont need to spend money on, and it can be just as useful to helping with the tightening of the sagging skin as using weight machines, started them yesterday and yep, those muscles are singing today..lol :smile:

If you don't mind my asking what did you search for on youtube? I already have some serious batwings looking for some good arm stuff ;)
  • duffslove
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking what did you search for on youtube? I already have some serious batwings looking for some good arm stuff ;)
    this is the one i chose to do yesterday and my PE clinician also gave me some handouts that i followed afterward

http://youtu.be/wlMcP-FFJ_Y
  • duffslove
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »

lol, im sorry to actually answer the question you asked, i just typed in the search bar resistance band work out..but i would assume to look specifically for a group of muscles/area, just add that in..there are a lot of them ...have fun :smiley:
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    That's perfect! Thanks so very much!