Bruises

Options
hi all, it's me again with my war wounds. My shins and knees get quite bruised when doing deadlifts, snatches etc. Do the socks or calf sleeves really help with this? Considering taking some arnica tablets for bruising. Arnica cream helps too. I don't really mind bruises now in winter but in summer when wearing shorts or dresses it's not a great look for girls!

Replies

• ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am constantly covered in bruises all up my shins and thighs and shoulders. I have no idea what helps though, I like my bruises :D
    I'd say socks wouldn't do much but the calf sleeves might.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I like my bruises too except on my shins. I wear socks on DL & rope climb days.
    I'm sure my snatch is crap because I inadvertenly don't want to bruise my shins.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Box jumps and deadlifts always leave a mark (lost skin and bruises). Vitamin K is an important nutrient for clotting, so you may want to look into it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this since I have a mystery bruise on my chest that I'm pretty sure must be from cleans. One top I was wearing over the weekend didn't totally cover it, but it was subtle enough.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a huge bruise and two gashes from box jumps. I agree they don't look nice, but they give me a sense of pride. I don't think the long socks would help much. Maybe a little, but not much. Crossfit means bruises and callouses. Just part of it.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about calf sleeves too, anyone have a favorite? Last time I did DL my left shin was bloody and the funny thing is someone came over and asked if I did that why doing DL... yes I did. Their response was priceless... "good job!" LOL
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have these Rogue Rock Guards (http://www.roguefitness.com/rocktape-shin-skins-ii-manifesto) that are awesome. I bruise so easily--you guys, I'll bruise if you look at me too long, for real--and I use these (and three pairs of socks) when I rope climb or I'll have a bruise for a month. They are perfect for all the lifts and box jumps too--the edge of thebox slides right off. Love. them. (Still bruised like hell from kettlebells and from my chiropractor, but oh well haha)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have the RockGuards too but they do get really hot and sweaty
  • itsagr8daytolift
    itsagr8daytolift Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use the Mc David 441 Calf Sleeve, saves my shins during rope climbs and deads. You can find them on amazon for $13 bucks per sleeve. I haven't had any issues with them, pretty breathable and they don't move around at all.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just wear sweatpants when you deadlift, problem solved. Otherwise you are going to scrape at some point or another.

I don't bruise easily, but I'm definitely sore from where the bar was resting on my shoulders during front squats last night.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually wear long songs to help protect my shins from scrapes and bruises.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my wrists at the moment and had a sports therapy session yesterday in which he spent 30 minutes working deep tissue on my forearms.

I've actually Instagram-ed a picture of the bruising this morning, it's so dark red.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts today! Looking forward to scraping up my shins (especially since it is so dry here and my skin looks like its dying).
  • princessxmeow
    princessxmeow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This week has been crazy for bruises/scrapes for me. Rope climbs Monday (guess who forgot we were doing rope climbs and wore shorts and no tall socks...) cleans yesterday and deadlifts are tomorrow. I love my bruises though. They remind me just how hard I went that morning/week
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if I have some from last night. 5 rounds of 12 hang snatches. Light weight but I was catching it on the way down on my upper quads.