April 12-18 Chat & Accountability

Good morning everybody. I noticed a new thread wasn't created yesterday, so I decided to. :smile:

Back home after a nice weekend away. I definitely didn't eat well though (actually I ate VERY well, but not in a healthy way - :wink: ). I'm going to get back on the horse starting this week. I'm joining another FB challenge this Friday, so I'll start the good habits. Going to get out for a short walk today after work - TIME TO MOVE!!!!!!

I hope everybody had a great weekend. Carol, how is that training for the Chicago TM going? Just under 4 weeks. I sure hope you're not using the Nick Humphries training plan. :smiley:

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Happy Monday Folks, Hope all is well with everybody. Well, today is the 30th day for the W30 for me. Been a good roll down the road with it. I suspect I haven't lost much more than 5-10 lbs on it, but I do feel better in overall and I think it has helped stabilize my rampaging blood sugar levels post Tobacco. It will be interesting to weigh in in May just before TM.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Heron, I will continue over here.. Kelly and I have been doing a LOT of gluten free Paleo baking using nut flours. Some of the stuff is so good we only make it every so often... There is plenty more that I need to try, including some Rhubarb ones since I love that plant, and I like it sour! I realize that not everyone does Paleo, but the last few years there has been an explosion in the baking area; there are plenty of items out there to make, whether they use just gluten free or nut flours.

We shot a match this weekend and had a ball. Sunday was one of those very intense lazy reset days that I seem to do a couple of times a year. I guess yesterday was the day for it, and I cannot remember the last time I had one.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Happy Monday! Good to be home, but boy am I tired. Scale this morning not overly friendly. Up 2.5lbs up post vacation - but scale says down nearly 5% of fat...which means I'm pretty swollen with water gain/inflammed. Not surprising given the amount of eating out, which means tons of inflammation creating vegetable oil. Plus alcohol nearly daily. Doubt I put on much real weight / fat having dessert I think 6 of the 8 nights. I was very active, and overall calorie counts were still either at maintenance based on activity or below. I did stay true to being gluten free (not an option) and until yesterday at brunch I never ate carbs before dinner. Will be curious to see what happens on my next weigh in. I think I'm moving my scale day to Friday - as beginning week after next I'm moving CarbNite to Friday night. This will better support weekend biking over the summer. Doing a 12 day re-orientation (so less than 30 net carbs a day) to get to the Friday CarbNite.

As of now I think I'm going to skip the FB weight loss challenge. I think its a great thing, and love that they've included the maintenance piece in potential winning. However, I'm still bothered by the soda = anything with carbonation thing. I get that some people added flavorings and basically turned healthy sparkling water into soda. But the problem there isn't the sparkling water- it's the flavoring. Bugs me to not have any chance of perfect points (and any chance of a winning spot) given two weeks with a no "soda" perfect bonus as I will not give up something I consider incredibly healthy for points. And nearly everything else from a points perspective I do as my life- without the need for a challenge.

Guess I'm still grumpy about chasing challenges versus building habits. Turning into Jason Seib more and more everyday.

Speaking of which - he's done some great private weight lifting form videos for his mailing list lately. And is releasing a free ebook for the mailing list today. Sign up at Jasonseib.com.

• heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    John, I think it's great that you are feeling better and any loss is better than none.

Mark, yep I've noticed that there has been an increase in interest in the whole GF thing. And better quality are out there. I know I am sensitive to gluten/carbs? I get headaches/migrane/bloat after eating pastry. I am going to try GF flour and experiment. My "problem" is that I love things that are high in gluten lol. Cakes, cookies, muffin those type of baked goods does not depend heavily on the process of forming gluten to be successful that's why it's easy to sub them with nut flours. When you get into dough making its a different process. Not saying it can't be done ;) like I said I'm going to experiment that is always fun and/or frustrating lol my goal is to make yummy chewy pasta and puff pastry that is light and airy with soft chewy layers.

Kim, I think a 2.5 gain after a vacation is a "success" and yep I doubt they are real weight gain.
    And I agree with your comments in the challenge rules. Its kind of like saying fat is unhealthy and load up on "healthy carbs"
    I'm still in limbo with the food thing.. Right now my weight is fluctuating at the 12lb range. I'm not tripping yet since I'm still fitting in all my clothes which means I didn't gain that much weight post holiday but I am going to try to stay under 40g carbs for 2 weeks just to get my head back in the game and hopefully this time stay in the game. You know... I know I should do but it's the doing it part that I'm struggling with. It's like a freaking addict. To be really honest... I know I'm not giving my best. So I just need to remind myself to be at my best behavior
    I'm not making any excuse for my behavior just telling my story :)
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    Heron - apparently Every Last Crumb by Britney Angell and My Paleo Patisserie by Jeni something are both great BAKING books for paleo. I don't have either but my friend (who knows food) had some great experience with Every Last Crumb, then a couple duds... I usually like to check out their blogs and make some recipes from there if I can to see if I like their style. Or, hope that it comes up on Amazon's 0.99 sale days.

Kim - I totally agree that 2.5 lbs is a win post vacation, and based on what you said you probably maintained which is a victory! And I can understand your frustration with the soda/carbonation thing because I love bubbly water for a treat! I drink plain perrier with nothing probably once per week. I think it's like cooking with a secret ingredient that makes it all the better :)

Things are trucking along here... snow is rapidly melting now... apparently we're in spring! Finally!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Tuesday Folks! Whole 30 complete, Black Cherry Greek Yogurt standing by.

haven't done any Paleo Baking yet but do have some stuff I'm gonna try one of these days.

Kim No worries Lass you'll be fine. I'm with ya on being done with challenges for a while, Though I'm going to help my Boss through a Primal Blueprint 21 day transformation Program, taking her the book today. See how my 1:1 coaching skills are doing.

Angela - With my knees can't do the North for winter any more. Bless you.

TTFN Folks

• beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Heron, you just need to find your groove. You will I'm confident of that. I suspect it's more about not having the outlet of Muy Thai than anything. How's the knee coming along? On the diet front have you considered adding more protein ( I haven't looked at you dairy in a while). Kiefer suggests a one to one gram to gram ratio as the perfect place to start for fat loss, and as you get leaner it moves towards 1 gram of protein per .5 gr fat ( so double protein grams to fat). AJ wants me at 1:1. I always was bothered by the low levels Jef had all of you on. Experimenting with that ratio may help you find what works.

Angela - I just got My Paleo Patisserie yesterday. I'd preordered it from Amazon ages ago. Almost cancelled because I was eating gluten on carb nites and didn't think I'd need a gluten free baking book. Then came the Hashimoto diagnosis and the strict gluten free doctor orders. Will try one of her cakes on my next Carb Nite!

John- not sure I consider the Primal Blueprint 21 transformation a challenge. It is specifically designed to build habits that you keep doing. In theory it does not have an end date. That's my issue with Whole 30 they design it with an end date. Specifically say it's too strict for everyday, that you are supposed to ease up after. Which leads to people with a "I did that now I need a treat, I can eat all the bad stuff I've missed" downward spiral. Maybe they now have added more instructions on easing out, making it a lifestyle. If so, great. But over and over that's not what I see in practice. I just don't believe it is designed to set up life long habits. Maybe it was a first, but it's now turned into a cyclical business dependent on people falling off the wagon. I've been a whole 30 non-fan for several years for this reason.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Kim - Here is what they say in their email Day 31. I should also note that the fact that the Primal Blueprint is a sustainable process is why I chose to get certified in the program. I chose to do a Whole 30 because I needed it try to get my metabolism under control after quitting tobacco. The additional restrictions were helpful. So returning to my norm which is primal. I did not call it a challenge and we are not approaching Cesci's program with a challenge mindset. It's about adopting habits and lifestyle that she already knows make her feel better. Just have to re orient and focus a bit. Should have seen her eyes light up when I mentioned Dark Chocolate as a sensible indulgence :smiley:
    I personally use the Whole 30 as a tool in my tool box, not as a complete way of eating. I can see where some may need to, and the dangers of poor re introduction of 'problematic foods' are real. It really needs a good coaching program, like Primal Blueprint, CNS and CBL are developing. Never the less here is what they say...

If you woke up on Day 31 and had a breakfast of beer, pizza, Cocoa Puffs, and ice cream with peanut butter sauce, how will you know which food group to blame when every bodily system feels like junk an hour later? (And everything would feel like junk.)

Here’s what we’d like you to do instead: introduce “less healthy” foods back into your diet one group at a time, while keeping the rest of your diet as Whole30-clean as possible. Think about it like a scientific trial, in which your Whole30 is the “control” and the one food group you are trying to evaluate is the “experimental group.” Sure, you’ll get some added sugar in many of your “experimental” foods, but the key is not combining food groups in any one testing day.

Here is a sample ten-day reintroduction schedule. Feel free to alter the food groups and particular food choices to suit your needs.

Day 1: Evaluate dairy,while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30-compliant. Have yogurt in the morning, some cheese in the afternoon, and ice cream after dinner. Evaluate how you feel that day, and the next day, and perhaps even the day after that. Stomach feel like you’re about to birth an alien? Suddenly feeling all congested and headachy? Skin break out in the next day or two? You may need to limit your dairy consumption to very small quantities or only certain items (yogurt, but not ice cream) during “off plan” meals, or you may decide that the aftereffects mean that all dairy is simply never worth it.

Day 4: Evaluate gluten-containing grains,while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30-compliant. Gluten is such nasty stuff that we want to break it out from the other grains, so you can evaluate it all by itself. Over the course of your day, eat a whole-wheat bagel, a side of pasta, and a dinner roll. (Most beers contain gluten, so drinking one beer would count here, too.) See how you feel that day, and the next day, and so on. Evaluate your experience and decide how often and how much to incorporate gluten grains into your regular diet—if at all. (We recommend not at all.)

Day 7: Evaluate non-gluten grains,while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30-compliant. Eat a serving of white rice, some corn tortilla chips, and a slice of gluten-free bread. See how you feel that day, and the next day, and so on. Pay attention to your reactions and decide how, how often, and how much to incorporate grains into your regular diet—if at all.

Day 10: Evaluate legumes, while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30-compliant. Try some peanut butter, a bowl of lentil soup, some tofu, and a side of black beans. See how you feel that day, and the next day, and so on. Evaluate your experience and decide how, how often, and how much to incorporate legumes into your regular diet—if at all.

• heronh
    Angela, thanks for the recommendations! :D
    Kim, be sure to give us a review of the book ;)
    I'm not really logging my food right now... And I am liking it! LOL But I know I have to start at some point if I want to lose weight. But hey, at least I'm maintaining.. I think....
    And you are right, I had a thing going I was doing Muay Thai and CNS everything was going good. I need to find a new groove, even if its 15 min a day. I'm still walking almost everyday but I don't always log it :p . I need to just force myself to do something that'll raise my heartrate without putting too much stress on my knee. Speaking of knee, thanks for asking, its getting better especially after learning about bone healing in my herbalist class. Taking Salomon's seal tincture and using the salve. Its been about 10 days and I can already feel a difference. I no longer need a brace which is great, although I still wear them if I'm gardening or doing something that I know will benefit from additional support.
    I'm still waiting on my body io coach, I think that will really help me reset. Even when I know what to do do but somehow I will be more incline to do it if somebody else that I paid for told me too. LOL

John, I actually did something similar to that 10 day reintroduction a few times to re-*kitten* my food issues which seems to change from time to time.

• Hmrjmr1
    Happy Wednesday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you.

Heron- Yep inner motivation is difficult, a good coach is not a luxury it's a necessity. Hope it's sorted out soon for ya.

Busy Day ahead

TTFN

John
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    John I had no idea you were a Primal Coach -that's awesome! Even more reasons to pick your brain LOL

I'm on day 23 of my first whole30, after dabbling in paleo/primal for close to 4 years. Why now? Because I have gotten so far from where I was I needed a serious overhaul. I never thought I could do a strict anything before, but I had let myself regain weight and lose health (see: can't sprint 100m...) these last two years and it was nothing but laziness at the end of it... oh and emotional eating :smiley:

But I look at this as the first step in changing my life, not just a 30 days and we're done. And that is the mindset that I keep reminding myself of! Case in point... last night I'm walking through my work and see rice crackers and think "oh, I can't wait until the end of the whole30 when I can just snack on those"... STOP "no I can't that's what got me here in the first place!" As my husband reminded me (though he's not doing any kind of lifestyle change that involved removing cheetos or chicken fingers) I'm changing my *habits*. Smart dude considering his diet LOL

The other thing I've gained from this is breaking my cooking at home/being prepared mental block. I always took my lunch and/or dinner to work but otherwise I got so lazy. And whenever I did get back on the bandwagon after 1 week I would get sick of cooking (and I love cooking!). So this really got me through that. And I've been reading Women, Food and God and while I'm not done it or the whole30, I will be soon and will have good tools in my belt to deal with my emotional eating.

PS. I like this group! So much so that when my friggin laptop magically took me a back a page before I posted I came back and typed again and not even in anger LOL
  • heronh
    Quick frustrating check in. Got bit earlier on my right hand by the ex foster that we are babysitting. I was trying to brush him (It's my mistake for being complacent.) He has issues hence we are the only ones that can babysit him. It's not the first time that he's bit me. He bites hard not a warning bite but with intent then right after he wants to snuggle... Like I said issues..
    Anyways, I've got bit by 60 lb dogs but that lil 25lb Lhasa mix causes more damage because he had no bite inhibitions. So now I can't do much, argghhh!! I can't even hold a knife! However I am looking at the positive this incident totally gave me an opportunity to test my new herbalist knowledge of wound care and treatment. :wink:
  • Hi everybody. it's not been a good week. Almost two days of being horizontal. :( I'm still not feeling all that great but I'm back at work. I'm so far from where I want to be right now. No exercise, not eating right. The pants that were starting to feel loose and not tight again. :disappointed: I only have myself to blame for basically giving up. October will be here before I know it and I won't be able to keep up with the rest of the Gunrunners if I don't get off my butt soon! I was going to join the upcoming FB challenge but I've decided not to, in order to work on my own plan.
    Thanks for listening everybody. I'm a bit down on myself right now.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Thursday Folks! Two days of work before Vacay Starts, Paleo FX just a week and a day away.
  • babygirl59601
    babygirl59601 Posts: 74 Member
    Jennifer.... It happens to us all. Tomorrow is a new day!

I have ran myself down to empty this week with work. Fought a cold while doing the annual rental inspections. 80 units in 4 days. Got them all done and survived it. Also meant that it made eating right difficult at times and I didn't get to walk much (finding it is a huge stress reducer for me as well as wonderful exercise). Tonight will be NyQuil and see if I am walking to work tomorrow or staying home to recharge. Can't wait to go to mark's this weekend though. Miss him and we have some fun things planned in between relaxing some.

I switched my Fitbit to a charge 2 weeks ago. I noticed something different tracking wise between the flex and charge. As a result I question the numbers the flex was giving me. So I am now back to trying to reach my step goal.... But hey I will eventually get it and it will feel awesome when I do!!
  • heronh
    Jen, yeah it sucks! This fat loss thing ain't easy. Keep going!! But find out what made you lose your motivation that'll help.
    Kelly, what a trooper but I think you should just chill and relax this whole weekend. No plans. You might be feeling like you got this flu cold beat but if you don't give yourself enough bed rest it'll come back with a vengeance. Catch up on shows or movie, you need to rest! Rest and hydrate! ;)
    Does Fitbit give you the number in distance it steps? You should download some form of running app (they track distance) so you can have both to compare. Just a thought..
  • babygirl59601
    babygirl59601 Posts: 74 Member
    Fitbit will count distance and has an exercise mode with gps. What I found is the flex runs activity with that and the charge can do that.... But it comes with a stopwatch on it that seems to be more accurate. But is 3,000 steps a day less lol. It actually has given me quite a nice little challenge!

I plan to get a good night sleep and see how I feel in the am. Will decide my day at that point. Mark and I are just doing some odds and ends this weekend and I can get back to my vitamins and a better diet while we take it easy... Lol no matches this weekend which already feels odd to me!
  • Hmrjmr1
    edited April 2015
    Funtastic Friday Folks! Jam time for me today.

Jen missed your post from yesterday, we must have been posting around the same time. Bummer on not feeling well. I think this time of year for some reason brings on motivational challenges it seems liek a wave washing over. The good news is that this too will pass. Sort one thing out and others seem to fall in lace. Might want to look into meditation, if you're new to it the book "8 min meditation" is a good place to start.

Kelly interested in your thoughts on the Charge. I've been thinking about it or the Surge for an upgrade.

On the Coaching front, One of my Co workers had knee replacement surgery in Dec, he's now been cleared for exercise, asked me to work him up a plan to return to ref'ng HS Football by Aug. Started him on phase one this week, He mentioned his wife was going to do it with him for weight loss, so a ran off a copy of Jason Seib's Fat Loss Directives and told him if she has questions let me know.

Co worker 2 Maris my Rec Therapist for the D Ward, has been re entering the exercise arena, (she was a Div 1 Softball Player at Tennessee), since her illness over the holidays, (nearly died from septic shock) working with her on a whole different objective, though she wants to run, some mid distance races in the future, 1/2 marathon or less. Had a good talk with her about the need to think about building muscle instead of losing weight. Gave her Jason Seib Directives and when I pointed out the pics of Jason's wife, you could see the light go on.

Well Paleo Fx one week out. Vacay starts tomorrow. :)
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Heron - I love all your baking but I would have eaten all the pastry puffs before the friend could take any. Ha! I applaud your efforts to find ways to make things GF. With your baking knowledge, I bet you'll come up with the best version.

I'm really inspired by how flexible folks are with their "way of eating." I guess that it the key..try things & see what works for you.

Kelly: FINALLY got my fitbit back on but it's depressing to see such a low number every day. Hoping to make better use of it soon. Need to friend you!

Jenny: we ALL go through spurts of ups & downs. Something will click for you. The super fantastic news is that you're still here. Stick with us & hop back on as soon as you can. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up for being human.

Paleo FX is just a week away John! I'm still holding out hope that there someway Kim Walls can join us.

I have really missed interacting with you guys. As soon as I get time I open the threads and read what I can, so that has been helping. And that the deadlines in front of me are so overwhelming right now. I used to check in every morning like this but I'm not getting to sleep until after midnight because of papers and work. The lack of sleep is cutting into my exercise time, I just can't sacrifice any more sleep to get out there. I'm on day 25 of the whole 30 and I really think this is what his saved my butt. Idon't think I lost any weight on this whole 30 but I don't think I gained any either and that is a miracle because the last month has been complete insanity. I started to regret that I overcommitted to 5K's and mud runs this spring. But walking those have been the only exercise that I've been getting and it's given me a chance to do something fun with my family and friends. Much needed mental breaks!

I am starting a Facebook challenge today. Like a lot of you guys, I know that I shouldn't really need this and I get frustrated on some of the rules that are not in line with what I wantto be doing. But it's just another layer of accountability and quite frankly, I go way off track without clear parameters. I shouldn't need it, but I think it's helpful and I'm not going to analyze it beyond that.

Hey Angela! Congratulations on everything you're learning from the whole 30. This time around I'm really buying into the fact that it's what I'm learning about myself, not only weight loss that may have happened over the last month while I learned it. My has been is like years but this time around he decided to join me and is about to finish his first whole 30. He really rocked it, it's obvious by looking at him that he has trimmed down and he feels great. He's looking forward to reintroducing a few things… That's always my downfall!!

Hope to chat with you guys all again soon. I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to log in and get some inspiration at any time of day!!!!!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Carol - Just one word for ya, Hoooah!