How have you benefited since you started using your Fitbit?

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It motivates me to move, definitely. At 4:45 I looked and saw I was only at 4000 steps. Went to take a walk and came home 5100 steps higher (I would have gone longer if it weren't for the wind).

Yeah, wind is frequently what kills our walks, too. I good breeze can be welcome on a warm day, but too much wind, or a cold wind, and I just don't want to be out there.

When I started I was like "do I want to do the 5K route?" By the time I reached where I have to turn left, I said no and went right and only did 2.3 miles.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My Flex was a gift that came just at the time when I finally decided to deactivate my MFP account and do better managing my health. The Fitbit kicked me into gear immediately. I can't believe how it has changed my behavior. The first weekend I was stunned at how little I moved, just sitting still watching tv, playing solitaire. Now I am anal about getting in 5 miles every day, for me that's about 12500 steps. I agree with the poster above, I never sit still when waiting for anything anymore, I pace to get the steps in. The people who monitor the cameras in my building must think I am crazy as I pace when waiting for the elevator and if I am the only one on it I am pacing there, too! As for results, I have cracked down on my eating, I lost a couple pounds, I am getting into clothes I love again. I am 5 feet tall so 2 lbs make a difference on me. Sorry this is so long, I have just been doing this a month and do not yet have any friends with which to talk about this new found tool of mine!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    The stickies for this group has find friends, by the devices. I'm sure you can find some others who want to share Flex info. with you and maybe do some competitions. Sounds like it has been a good thing for you.
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am excited by my Flex. I have been gaining friends and been invited to some step challenges. I had a daily challenge yesterday with fitbit users around the country that I won. I also earned a new badge because I reached 20,000 steps for the first time since February 14, 2015 (when I was given my FitBit Flex). I have lost additional 2-3 pounds since then. I am trying to encourage my husband to get a One for his pocket so we can continue each other to move. I have to keep reminding myself not to make myself (or my family) crazy checking my progress all day. :wink:
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    become more active daily. now appreciate that cleaning burns me 150 calories per day! now do more to hit the goals and love being able to lose weight and eat more and of course i got to meet some lovely fitbit friends who have different settings but share the same goal and thats to be healthy!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Just getting me to move more. The friends I have help me out to cause I have learned I'm fairly competitive.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Great to read about the wonderful experiences everyone is having bumping this so newbies can see them.
  • soeurj
    soeurj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, for the first time ever, I am seeing a real relationship between my calories in and calories out. My Fitbit reports are showing me @1lb per week weight loss and I am seeing that result, it doesn't come off in a week, but after a couple of weeks, yeah, the weight drops off. I LOVE this result. I am also getting outside a lot more to walk, both in my neighborhood and area lakes, I get to see the birds and other wild life everyday, and that makes me a happier person. My husband is also joining me on those walks, so we are spending some quality time together not just watching TV or cleaning around the yard and house.

I'd love to know what benefits others are getting.

• soeurj
    Options
    Hi retirehappy. I got my fitbit about a month ago. I love it! At first I did nothing. Then we had a race with partners and did challenges at work for one month. It was competitive but fun, friendly and motivating. My partner (Jill) and I were the oldest contestants and we beat the young people (23 and 24 years). It is just motivating to keep up with everyone. Would love to "walk" with you and your husband via the Fitbit. If interested, send me an invite via the Fitbit at soeurj@gmail. Hope to hear from you. Linda (soeurj)
  • soeurj
    Options
    Hi retirehappy. I got my fitbit about a month ago. I love it! At first I did nothing. Then we had a race with partners and did challenges at work for one month. It was competitive but fun, friendly and motivating. My partner (Jill) and I were the oldest contestants and we beat the young people (23 and 24 years). It is just motivating to keep up with everyone. Would love to "walk" with you and your husband via the Fitbit. If interested, send me an invite via the Fitbit at soeurj@gmail. Hope to hear from you. Linda (soeurj)
  • soeurj
    Options
    arobed53 wrote: »
    Just getting me to move more. The friends I have help me out to cause I have learned I'm fairly competitive.

• soeurj
    Options
    Me too. Found out I do better with a little friendly competition. :) If you like to "walk/compete" together via the fitbit, just send an invite via Fitbit to soeurj@gmail.com. Linda
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I found that getting my "buzz" and those blinky lights has become quite motivating, with the challenges supplementing that. I never win a challenge so that's not as motivating. If there are people who regularly walk 15K steps a day, I'm not going to beat them with my sedentary job. But I set my goal at 10K and I'm reaching it because I want the Fitbit to light up all the way and buzz my arm. It's strange that such a little thing can get me motivated even when I'm tired, but it does. I think it's definitely helping me lose weight because of that motivation to get up and move.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm am losing weight at a faster rate now that I'm getting at least 10K steps a day. So it IS helping me lose weight.