BF%, fat/nonfat dairy, and lifting questions

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
Hi all- I got a three in one here for ease of not doing multiple posts

1- my weight has gone down but my BF % has gone up 1.5 points from 28% to 29.5%...wth??

2- I eat non fat Greek yogurt for breakfast. Some say so full fat, others say non fat. With opinion and actual real backing/research- which should it be?

3- Inches wise my thighs and butt have gotten smaller (thank you Squats!)- but my belly (huge trouble zone) and back fat rolls haven't decreased in size at all. Ideas on why and how to fix?

Stats:
5'4"
142.5 lbs
SL 5x5 - 3 days a week
30 min LIGHT cardio (stroll outside) - 2 times a week

Thanks!!!

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on the loss! As far as where you are losing in my experience I lose fat first in the areas where it was put on last and it often then comes off here and there at varying rates. As for a fat increase I would doubt that especially if you are using an impedance device. According to my scale I lost 10% BF in like a month and I am not believing that! Anecdotally, on the dairy I have read that full fat dairy is best can't site the study. I generally cut back on fat in my dairy personally bc I tend to get a lot of fat in my diet from other sources already. Sounds like you are doing well! Stay the course!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    1) How did you measure your BF%? If you are using a scale or handheld device, they are highly inaccurate. Many things can effect how accurate they are: your hydration levels, sodium consumed in the last few days, last time you used the restroom, what your workouts have been in the last few days, sore/not sore, etc.. Most people use them as a trending device, but I don't believe them since they can change by 5% in a matter of minutes if I use it, drink some water, then use it again.

2) This is up to you. I prefer non-fat greek yogurt because it's lower in calories. I usually eat it as a dessert, so I only have 100-200 calories to use at that point in my day. If you have the calories, the full fat versions will keep you feeling fuller longer (because fat and protein help with satiety). But if you'd rather eat the low-fat/no-fat version and save those extra calories for something later in the day, do that.

3) My thighs and butt are my trouble zones. I notice that those are the places I lose inches last. I believe the trouble zones are where we lose last. I have no scientific evidence of this, just personal experience. For your trouble zones, just keep going. You didn't get those trouble zones overnight, and they sure as heck won't disappear overnight.

Are you currently eating to lose and successfully losing weight? If so, your BF% will decrease and your trouble zones will start to disappear. Unfortunately, it's just staying the course.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I avoid fat free and low fat anything,especially dairy. When fat is removed other stuff is added-like chemicals and sugar. Fat helps with satiety and is a necessary macro. My scale gives BF readings, too. They are notoriously incorrect. Calipers and measurements are better. I just use mine to track progress. Having said that, my BF goes down, up and down again. Keep at what you are doing. I have noticed the same thing as @indianarose2 . I carry the most fat around my hips. I've lost fat quickly in my arms because I put it on there last. My hips are stubborn and it's going to take time since I've had it there for a long time.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    1. If you're using a scale, it can be any combination of things that affect that number. Even calipers aren't that great because you could be measuring in a slightly different location.
    2. This is based on your preference. I use light and/or nonfat dairy (except cheese!) because I don't like the mouth-feel of full fat.
    3. Give it time. This is a slow process.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    1. I'm thinking your means of measuring BF are showing incorrect readings. Scales that measure are inaccurate.
    2. Its preference. Nonfat usually has more protein but yogurt with fat is creamier. I don't know about others but Chobani and Fage brands of Greek yogurt don't add sweeteners or other junk to the no or low fat yogurts so they're just a little more sour.
    3. You probably just hold weight in your stomach. It will start to go down eventually. I'm the opposite - my waistline and upper body shrink before my thighs. Que sera!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. The electronic devices, whether scale or handheld that some gyms have, are known for not being an accurate form of measurement. I use it more to track a trend over a long time (months and months with hope of year showing the most results). It's not the best short term especially when different factors like hydration also influence the numbers.

I go with whatever yogurt has a flavor that appeals me and cheap enough as I only have them once a week or twice at most but that's because I have a dairy allergy. I buy coconut milk and soy yogurt for my shakes and have very few options available for those if the store even happens to have any at all.

And I'd say give it time for the measurements, especially if you don't have over 50 to lose. Even with being obese, some of my numbers depending on the moth (I measure just once a month) go down more than others but it has varied. The stomach has the longest ways to go but it's slowly getting there as it's where I have more excess fat, though my neck measurement went down this time so some of those changes are odd and not quite expected.

Keep on working and you'll get there.
  • LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH to everyone! Makes me feel better about the BF and the inches. My belly is the biggest so I guess I just have to be patient. I will stick with my nonfat Greek yogurt- it's tart but I mix with real fruit. And the only ingredient is pasturized skim milk and has 6g sugar from that.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    1. I don't know what to say about the body fat soI'll leave that alone.
    2. I have full fat everything because I realise that my body needs fat as much as it needs protein and carbs. To me, it also tastes nicer with full fat.
    3. When I lost weight before I noticed that my stomach area was the last to go down. I lost muscle to because I was doing a ton of cardio and no strength. This time around I am doing strength combined with cardio and have noticed that I am losing half an inch a month on my stomach but have gained a teeny bit on my thighs. My legs are much more muscular now.

@Sumiblue I have never used calipers. How do they work?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    @Graceious1 , body fat caliper. It is a hand held device that takes a measurement of body fat from pinches of skin from different sites on the body. Like mentioned above, caliper readings can be inaccurate, too, if you are trying to use them on yourself. Best if done by an experienced person, like a trainer. But, if you use them enough you could probably get comfortable enough with them to get a fairly accurate reading.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that @Sumiblue