could 5lbs/workout really make me as HUNGRY as this?

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i'm just curious what other people's experience is. when you keep adding plates at a faster rate with every workout, do you see a dramatic effect on your hunger levels compared with those periods where you might still be increasing your weight but you're doing it much more slowly? since xmas, i've been plugging along at about a 5 pound increase every week, or not even that. but last weekend i got what feels like an answer to my left-shoulder pain, and suddenly i'm back to eating everything that can't move fast enough to get away. not coincidentally (or is it?) i've also been able to put my whole body into my lifts, and i keep adding weight.

in absolute terms i'm not really lifting a whole lot more pounds. in fact i'm just back to about where i was when i called a rest week. but in relative terms - i.e. what my body might have gotten used to as the routine - there's been much faster rate of increase in my work weights. since last saturday i've gone up 10 pounds on squats, 5 or 10 on bench press, extra reps/sets of ohp, combination of both for my rows, and i guess added anything from 15 to 25 pounds to my deadlift as well. its hard to tell on that last one because i've been goofing around for so long about it and my working weights have been all over the place.

anyway, i'm surprised i've even found enough time in my busy scarfing schedule to get to the gym. i just went through dinner like one of those whisper-chipper machines, and i feel as if i could do it again.

tell your experiences. and in the meantime, here . . . have a song

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I'll let you know next week, after I've been back at the gym for a few sessions. I'm expecting to crave all the foods and want all the protein. xo
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Actually my son pointed it out to me!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    My weight increases are monthly (Wendler's 531) and I still get ravenous. I think it is just the nature of progressive lifting. I had to do a lot of experimentation to find what works for me, and choose my foods very carefully. I practice 5:2 which involves eating 500 calories 2 days a week and maintenance 5 days. This works for me because I'd rather be hungry 2 days instead of 7! That being said I do have to focus on high satiety foods on the other 5 days or I could easily go over calories by quite a bit. Unfortunately IIFYM isn't all pop tarts and protein shakes if you don't want to be gnawing your arm off all day. Over the whole week I average 40% of my calories from fat, 30% from protein, and 30 from carbs. For me when I eat high fat I can go much longer between meals before I get hangry, and I tend to not get that light headed feeling when I haven't eaten for a while.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Lately as my lifts have gotten more challenging I've just been hungry hungry hungry! Unfortunately it's also made me lazy about my macros. I've eaten at least 300 cals over my goal but still under maintenancefor 3 days now. Going to have to address my macros...
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yep, once the weights became challenging I'd be a crazy hunger monster the day after lifting around lunch time. The disgusting casein helps me before bed, then some cottage cheese for breakfast. I protein more on rest days and slow release protein helps me out a ton!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yep, once the weights became challenging I'd be a crazy hunger monster the day after lifting around lunch time. The disgusting casein helps me before bed, then some cottage cheese for breakfast. I protein more on rest days and slow release protein helps me out a ton!

Awesome! Thanks! What is slow release protein? I could just google it... I bet that special time of the month doesn't help either... Blah

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    The disgusting casein

well, this phrase brightened my day a whole lot. i hear a lot about casein, but i think i'm just gonna steer clear of that one.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    indianarose2, slow release protein is casein. It is often found in cheeses and it is a normal part of protein in whole milk. A lot of the whey isolate shakes don't include casein, but it is something you want at bed time to make the fasting time of sleeping sort of on an even keel.

Super important for diabetics. I have this problem and probably need to be more consciences about getting casein before bed. The following statement will be a much smaller effect on non-diabetics, but still somewhat present.

As you sleep, you use up the calories you've ingested before bed (if you didn't already) depending on when the last thing you ate was, your blood glucose drops as insulin is still being released. Then you slowly get a build up of glucose because the body is trying to maintain homeostasis. If you either ate carbs only or nothing, the glucose can go up enough to trigger a dose of insulin. For me what happens is it will go up a lot, cause an insulin dump, which then drops me too low, which will then signal the liver to dump even more glucose in the blood and that's usually when I wake up, take my fasting reading and cuss a lot because it is inevitably several points over 100 which is the highest it should be for fasting. Between 89-98 is the current recommendation.

Simple carbs have an almost immediate effect on blood sugar, followed by protein and fat.
    Ideally you want a bedtime snack of all three. PB on whole grain toast is great. Especially since it includes fiber. Fruit with pb would also be good. You get the idea.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Oh it also has a name: Insulin push. :s
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this round of SL at a much slower pace with lower weights and higher volume, and like Tree, I have my macros set at 40% fat, 30 protein, 30 carb. I haven't gotten crazy hungry yet by doing it this way. I'm not really trying to increase my weights too much though, just trying to find a balance between an exercise routine I love and eating at a deficit.