Cutting it from the kitchen

Options
superpoo
superpoo Posts: 25 Member
Hello Ladies,

I thought we could share tips, things you do to cut back on calories and also post any problems and ways to combat them.

TL; DR: Adding pepper helps. Ways to eat fewer carbs? Any tips?

I have been told by my grandmother to do this and I have been following it fairly enough. Every time I cook something savory, I make sure I add a tsp of pepper. Pepper is believed to adsorb water content in our bodies and we won't feel bloated-up.

As a new measure, I also drink a glass of warm water before every meal or snack. I have succeeded to an extent that I don't really need a full 400 cal breakfast now. I only need 200 cals to fill my stomach.

I have a question to all of you about carbs. We all know it is best to eat fewer carbs but MFP says I can eat 165 g(?) of carbs everyday and I think that's too much if you want to lose weight.

What are your ways to filling up from non-carb food? I'm a vegetarian and eating rice comes naturally to me. After doing a lot of research, I understand I'm wasting calories on rice carbs but it's inevitable.

Any insight or ideas are welcome.

p.s - Sorry for the wall of text.

Replies

• ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the carbs thing.... I'd also like to eat less so I've tried to focus on protein. Laughing cow cheese on celery, cottage cheese with tomatoes, or vise versa. But I'd like to hear what others eat to cut back on carbs yet still stay full.

:flowerforyou: Thx for sharing!
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have a question to all of you about carbs. We all know it is best to eat fewer carbs but MFP says I can eat 165 g(?) of carbs everyday and I think that's too much if you want to lose weight.

What are your ways to filling up from non-carb food? I'm a vegetarian and eating rice comes naturally to me. After doing a lot of research, I understand I'm wasting calories on rice carbs but it's inevitable.

Weight loss is about calorie deficit, eating carbs doesn't prevent you from losing weight. I have macros set as 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. My net calorie goal is 1700, so on days when I don't exercise my carb goal is 170g. When I exercise my carb goal is 200+g. I eat a lot of carbs (and protein) and I've lost weight just fine (and yes, I do eat ice cream, cookies and whatnot).

Anyway, I get most protein (and least carbs) from meat, curd, Greek yoghurt, soy yoghurt, soy pudding, eggs, protein bars and protein powder. My faves are definitely curd and yoghurt. Do you use protein powder, soy yoghurt...?
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the goal MFP set for me and have had no problems losing weight. I am not limiting anything in my diet though. I tend to end up coming closer to my limit of Fat and Protein than Carbs for the most part.
  • superpoo
    superpoo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powders. I think I should consult a doctor before changing some habits completely. I've had an Indian upbringing and some food groups might not be completely suitable for people. But I will surely ask my doctor if I could use protein powders.

I do use tofu once in a while. The availability of it where I live is quite limited.

Filling-up on carbs is really easy for me. And sometimes, I can't eat all the veggies I had portioned out for me. I really can't give up eating rice and wheat because I've been brought up that way.
    I don't want to give that up either, I want to change my habits and this is not permanent. So wanted to know how much carbs people generally consume in order to lose weight.

Thanks