How to get to goal using MFP with VSG?

Options
jessicadb2
jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
I know the vertical sleeve is just a tool and you still need to eat healthy and follow the post op diet. I was wondering how you track with myfitnesspal as you are losing weight and how myfitnesspal aids in weight loss so you can reach goal instead of the typical 50-60% weight loss. If I just had that loss I would still be over 200 lbs and that is not what I want. I want to get below 200 lbs and hopefully to 150 or 160.

Replies

• jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So I would like to lose about 70 lbs more than 60 percent weight loss.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to keep me accountable for what I am eating. To make sure I am getting enough protein and to own up to where I might be eating off plan. I don't eat perfect but I do track everything I eat. If I am not losing I look at my diary. Did I really need to eat tortilla chips? Could I find healthier versions of what I've been eating?

I also like the reports section of MFP to chart my weight loss.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track my daily calories (food and exercise) and make sure I am getting in my nutrition requirements. I actually like to plan out my day so that I am better prepared --- I find it helps me. I enter my measurements and weight and like the reporting to see my progress...especially during stalls when I feel that nothing has changed. It helps show me that it HAS changed. :smile:
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use MFP just like the others and with this group as my support group. The people here are invaluable

Randy
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    MFP gives another set of tools to manage intake (food in) and burn (exercise and BMR estimation) to help you understand the caloric deficit you are creating. Understanding and managing the balance is a huge learning improvement for me. It helped me to understand why previous diets worked (and then failed when i strayed from them).

This group is fantastic for support, and the forums at large are really good for general nutrition, fitness and other information, as long as you know how to filter out the garbage and look for the well supported stuff.

All in all, MFP has been a huge part of my success (so far) and I look for it to be useful as I enter the maintenance stage.

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track my calories and water daily. When I don't, I tend to be either way over or way under calories and always way under water. The support given here is also a big help in keeping me at it as I've been sleeved almost 4 years and haven't hit goal. As I understand it, on average, we will lose about 70% of our excess weight. Right now I'm at about 75% but like you, I want to get and stay somewhere below 200. So I'm still working the plan and getting the support here and suggestions to get to my goal eventually. Good luck. If I can get and stay below 200, you can too.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to track it all. Food, water, vitamins, exercise. You can go in and set your own settings calories for the day, % of protein, carbs, fats stuff like that. I have logged in since Feb 2012 every single day. Even in the hospital after sleeve WLS I logged my ice chips!
    Good luck you can do it.
    The most successful post op WLS people are the ones that log all their foods after surgery too. My WLS nut. told me this. I will have to log my foods for the rest of my live I have realized. Not tracking what I ate and being careful is how I ended up at 280 pounds. After surgery old habits die hard. The surgery is on your gut not head and the wls is just a tool. MFP is another tool in my toolbox to keep me from gaining that lost weight back. I am also honest about the food diary. I log the good and bad. It is all there.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Like you said, the sleeve is just a tool. It isn't magic! Weightloss surgery only fixes the biological not the mental. I use mfp for the reasons all stated above and it helps me answer the question "what am I hungry for?" Sometimes seeing that I have eaten 1000 calories and am still "hungry" helps me ask what I really need (sleep, rest, a relaxing bath, a hug etc) and prevents me from falling into old thoughts/patterns. The obv one too is it keeps me on track nutritionally too. Best of luck!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    I used MFP to track it all. Food, water, vitamins, exercise. You can go in and set your own settings calories for the day, % of protein, carbs, fats stuff like that. I have logged in since Feb 2012 every single day. Even in the hospital after sleeve WLS I logged my ice chips!
    Good luck you can do it.
    The most successful post op WLS people are the ones that log all their foods after surgery too. My WLS nut. told me this. I will have to log my foods for the rest of my live I have realized. Not tracking what I ate and being careful is how I ended up at 280 pounds. After surgery old habits die hard. The surgery is on your gut not head and the wls is just a tool. MFP is another tool in my toolbox to keep me from gaining that lost weight back. I am also honest about the food diary. I log the good and bad. It is all there.
    Like you said, the sleeve is just a tool. It isn't magic! Weightloss surgery only fixes the biological not the mental. I use mfp for the reasons all stated above and it helps me answer the question "what am I hungry for?" Sometimes seeing that I have eaten 1000 calories and am still "hungry" helps me ask what I really need (sleep, rest, a relaxing bath, a hug etc) and prevents me from falling into old thoughts/patterns. The obv one too is it keeps me on track nutritionally too. Best of luck!

both these are spot on, MFP is only another tool, just like your surgery was a tool. neither will "make" you lose weight, but both will help you on the journey. if you use MVP to track everything, it will help you lose the weight, and when you reach your goal, it will help you maintain