Nutritional yeast?

Options
shanteel612
shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
Can someone explain this to us vegan newbies. Also can people share recipes/uses.

Replies

• angryfairy
    angryfairy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's a yeast that has a really good cheesy flavour, you can add it to food, eat it of the spoon or make a paste like cheese for spreading on toast!! It's great stuff
  • mikegray33
    mikegray33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is great stuff. In my home we use it to make Cashew vegan "mozza", as a popcorn seasoning, in sauces and many other applications. I totally recommend giving it a try! You might find this site helpful http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/11-ways-use-nutritional-yeast-and-why-you-should.html
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff! It is hard to explain. It looks gross. It looks like fish food. But it tastes really good and a good source of protein and B12. I most commonly add it to marinara sauce when we make spaghetti. For a jar of plain marinara I probably add about 1/4 cup to the saucepan while it is heating up. It makes kind of like a vodka sauce to me. I also like to make tofu scramble and I use it on there as well. I like to sprinkle into soups or beans. I have mixed a little with some earth balance butter and spread on toasted bread. It is sort of like a cheesy flavor. Very good stuff!
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation, I will go get some from whole foods.
  • raceengr
    raceengr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it on pasta dishes, rice, couzcous, quinoa. On these foods it needs some moisture/fat to mix well, so a little soy milk, earth balance, or olive oil are in order.
  • herbertwest7734
    herbertwest7734 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use it for most of the above things and for anything else where Parmesan cheese is usually used.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Whole Food around me so I'm not sure of the purchasing options there but... bulk is the way to go if you can find it. I can get it for $7 lb from the bulk bins at a local health store, yet another one 5 miles away only sells the NOW bottled brand at 10 oz for $15... Shop around for the best price as nooch has been know to be addictive.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like nut yeast but I don't loooovvveeee it like so many, I hope that changes with time. I want to love it :)
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can also order it online if you can't find it nearby. I live in rural Vermont and have to plan way ahead to get nooch because it isn't at any convenient stores. I freaking love it though.

I make a cheese type sauce with 1/2 cup nooch (sometimes more), 1/2 package of silken tofu, 2 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp yellow mustard, 1/2-1 tbsp spicy mustard, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or tamari/soy sauce). 1 tsp paprika, blend all that, and then add salt and pepper to taste (don't add any if you want a milder flavor). I usually mix the sauce in with shell, bow tie, or elbow pasta then saute broccoli up with some cajun seasoning and pepper and serve the broc on top of the mac in a bowl.

Sometimes I'll saute some cubed tempeh with the broccoli, but the sauce adds a lot of protein already, so you don't really need the tempeh.

We call it Mac n' Trees!
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My dad's hippy friends used it on popcorn once when we went a movie and I thought it was so strange, being a child. But now I like it. :) lol
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    angryfairy wrote: »
    It's a yeast that has a really good cheesy flavour, you can add it to food, eat it of the spoon or make a paste like cheese for spreading on toast!! It's great stuff

I use it a lot but I would seriously argue the it 'it tastes like cheese' argument. Though I've not eaten cheese in over 20 years so maybe it's just my memory.

OP just experiment I use it a lot in gravy's and sauce's