Great News!

Options
alfiedn
alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
Hello Ladies!

I've been reading so much from you guys lately. I haven't posted much because there are so many women on here that are so much more knowledgeable than me, so I've been soaking it all up!

Thursday I went back to my doctor after following her eating plan for me carefully for almost 2 months. I was planning on giving it longer, but was having some problems that prompted me to call sooner. She decided to run new blood work and ordered an ultrasound. I just got all those results today. My blood work looks so much better! They didn't retest everything, but all my hormones that they tested (not testosterone or DHEA) were in normal range except my FSH levels. However, my FSH was lower than it was last time!

I have a CD of my images from the ultrasound and it's actually really cool to look at my ovaries with WAY too many follicles on them. Even I can see that they are consistent with what PCOS would look like and I don't even know much. However, the ultrasound showed an abnormally thick uterine lining (which we were expecting due to my issues that I went in for), so she ordered a 10 day supply provera for me, which I'm very nervous to take. Anyone have experience with this drug? I'm always reluctant to add more hormones to my system.

I have an appointment with a Reproductive Endicrinologist at the end of May. I JUST finished my paperwork for them this morning (minus getting my medical records sent over and consent forms signed). I'm thinking I'll call them about the provera in the morning so the can add it to my chart and also to see if I should be taking this step now or if I should wait until after my consultation.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Provera is synthetic progesterone. Very often, our lack of period is due to too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. Since the cycle still tries to go, but is incomplete, we're left with thickening uterine linings.

Personally? For the moment at least, I'd take a round of Provera over a D&C, to deal with the immediate issue of the thick uterine lining.

In the long run, check out Inositol and Vitex. They both help balance hormones. I haven't done Vitex, personally, but the Inositol has helped me get a regular period back. They're not hormones themselves, but supplements that help balance what you naturally produce.

Let the Provera flush out the lining, then take Inositol and/or Vitex to balance the hormones and keep the lining from getting too thick again.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just finished a round of Provera 2 months ago. Like you they gave me a 10 day supply. It worked as intended in my case with no ill side effects. I started my cycle 3 days after completing the 10 day supply.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses and advice. I called and did start the provera last night. So far, so good!