Which Fitbit is best for beginners?

Options
shann1979
shann1979 Posts: 13 Member
I know nothing about Fitbit and just starting to work out. Amy recommendations on which Fitbit I should get?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's entirely a matter of price + personal preference. Do you want to wear your Fitbit on your wrist or clip it to your clothes?

You can compare the features at http://www.fitbit.com/compare
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just went with the basic model - the Fitbit Zip. It does everything I need it to do right now, which is basically keep track of my steps and transfer the calories earned to MFP. If in future my needs change, I'll consider an upgrade then. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I wanted to know was how many steps I was taking and how many calories I was burning everyday.
    I don't need the device to tell me how crappy my sleep is, as I'm already aware of this. I don't need the stair counter as I don't walk up and down steps, and I don't need a heart rate monitor as the only exercise I do is walking.

So based on all of this... I ended up getting the zip
  • blarson82
    blarson82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought a Zip about a month ago when my Jawbone Up24 quit working (and I never really cared for it).
    Personally I prefer the Zip as most of my excercise is walking based and I have two littles at home. I have found with my Jawbone if I was holding onto a stroller or cart, steps were not counted - unsure if that holds true for Fitbit wrist trackers.

I would like one with a HR built in, however my current needs do not support the price tag.
  • MishaKudo
    MishaKudo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got the Zip because I wasn't concerned with all the bells and whistles of the other Fitbits. I only cared about steps and calories. Plus it came in pink... ;)
  • CreekGal
    CreekGal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got my first FITBIT (about a week ago) and went for the One. I love it. I think after trying this one when money permits I will spring for one of the wearable waterproof ones, I think that would be handy for summer's water activities.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MishaKudo wrote: »
    I got the Zip because I wasn't concerned with all the bells and whistles of the other Fitbits. I only cared about steps and calories. Plus it came in pink... ;)

word :+1:

• YesiHQ
    YesiHQ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just got the One - I wanted something I could clip on my clothes instead of the bracelet style. In deciding between the zip (only tracks steps and miles) and the One, I went with the one because of the extra features (backlit display, also tracks steps climbed, sleep etc). I really like that I can just look at the display to see how many steps I have instead of looking on my smartphone. Price was $94, so similar to the Flex bracelet style but it has the display and I can wear it on my clothes or bra no matter if I'm dressed up or down.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    CreekGal wrote: »
    I think after trying this one when money permits I will spring for one of the wearable waterproof ones, I think that would be handy for summer's water activities.

They aren't as waterproof as you may be led to believe. I actually go out of the way to avoid getting my Flex wet having had it replaced twice since I got it. Still love the little bugger, just not getting it wet.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    YesiHQ wrote: »
    I just got the One - I wanted something I could clip on my clothes instead of the bracelet style. In deciding between the zip (only tracks steps and miles) and the One, I went with the one because of the extra features (backlit display, also tracks steps climbed, sleep etc). I really like that I can just look at the display to see how many steps I have instead of looking on my smartphone. Price was $94, so similar to the Flex bracelet style but it has the display and I can wear it on my clothes or bra no matter if I'm dressed up or down.

I just bought a One too. I got mine at a Radio Shack that's going out of business and the price was marked down to $50.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options

They aren't as waterproof as you may be led to believe. I actually go out of the way to avoid getting my Flex wet having had it replaced twice since I got it. Still love the little bugger, just not getting it wet.

My experience was very different. I wore my Flex while Dragon Boating (paddling) for over a year, for 3 hours a week, year round, with my wrist plunging in the water for every stroke. We did switch sides, but that's still half of every practice. It was also soaked in the rain many times. It still works great.

I upgraded to the Charge HR this year, but wear my Flex for any water or splashy activity.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i got the flex because i wanted to be able to do everything with it. i wanted it to be comfortable discreet and just a tap away to see progress. i love it. im a beginner with fitbit
  • draxxl
    draxxl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CreekGal wrote: »
    I think after trying this one when money permits I will spring for one of the wearable waterproof ones, I think that would be handy for summer's water activities.

I have taken my fitbit flex into the pool and done water aerobics with it, so far so good and it counted my steps in there..
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    I have a one. I've had it since January and really like it. One feature I like over the zip is you can just recharge and don't have to buy batteries. Great motivator for me.