Your weight loss journey so far

Options
jorinya
jorinya Posts: 933 Member
I thought it would be good as maybe inspirational for us to share or weight loss journey (so far) with each other. God knows it can be tough to stick to something, especially something that can benefit us in the long run. This road we are on is long and we don't need to go it alone, we got each other for support and motivation.

My journey so far:

Where should I begin. Why not from the very beginning! After all a story has to have a beginning, right!
I spent the first few years of my life happy and content running through tall grass, paddling in the lake and then school happened. It started out fine and before long I had friends and enjoyed a different life from the one I had gotten used to before school. Everything seemed to be fine but then.......... the teasing, the name calling, the "you're not good enough for us" looks and comments. Why, was I fat? No! I was different from them and they were well aware of it even though I didn't have a clue. Comments from left and right hit me till one day I had enough. They told me I was different to them because I was adopted, I was scum of the earth, not good enough for them. Catholic Ireland!!! Made it through primary school in one piece, barely.

Secondary school, well now that's when the "fun" began. That's where the problem started. I could eat like a horse and not add any weight, jealousy creeped in to girl's hearts because I was blessed with being thin. Here comes the glasses, here comes the "four-eyes" remarks and to top it all off the acne started, here comes the boys remarks too. (I went to an all girls school so boys were only around at the bus stop but that was still hard.) I started taking notice of comments and then the worst happened, I started starving myself. Yes you guessed right, I was suffering from Anorexia. It went on unnoticed by my parents till one day while on work placement (at 15 years old) in a hospital, I collapsed. Great place to collapse, thanks God! Bye-bye acne!!
Got through that challenge barely in one piece and still cared about what others thought of my outward appearance and eat not too much but enough to stay looking good at size (UK) 10. Graduated secondary school and off to work. Yes, work, now that is a whole other story. Met some "nice" boys along the way but most of them were frogs. Decided to go to college. Met a great Nigerian guy and his wife, met their friend and married their friend. Moved to the south of Ireland and had my first child, a baby boy. My weight was not an issue then, neither was it an issue when my second boy was born. Then here comes the weight gain, why? I got lazy. Oh I still went for walks and all but I was lazy in cooking good food when my husband was away at sea and started eating unhealthy foods. Cookies and chocolate became my best friend.

Moved to England, knew nobody. Got lonely, made mistakes. Went to work and fell in love with canteen food. Eat too much sweets and chocolate. Next thing you know I'm a size 16. How that happen? Was driving to work and instead of walking to the shop, you guessed it, I drove the 5 minute journey to the shop. Had my third boy, stayed the same weight and then started work far from the house. Me and my husband would walk together to the train station, 40 mins walk, get on separate trains, go to work, separate trains home, meet up and walk home together. Weight went down to size 12-14. Yippee!!!! Not!!!

Nigeria came then. With my husband's job come the fear of kidnap especially because of my colour. His company would pay extra to get me back safely. Back to size 16 again, hello size 18. What!!! Got pregnant and my baby girl. Went from 100kg back down to 75kg and looked great, felt great too. Oh went home to Ireland. Granny was sick. My rock in life was getting ready to leave me. Went back to Nigeria, weight stayed down, size 12-14. Then the worst thing happened! Got phone call, my cousin Seamus committed suicide. Here comes the comfort eating. A few months later got another phone call - prepare yourself Granny is leaving us. One hour later, dad is by her side, everyone there by her side, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, all except me. I'm in Nigeria. Granny peacefully slips away at the ripe young ago of 90, 32 years in my life and now she has left me. More comfort eating. Hello size 16.
Back to Ireland, back to Nigeria again, hello size 14. Short lived. Moved to where I cannot go outside because too many stares. Too many comments. Hello size 18. Looked at the scales in the doctors and wanted to die, 95kg. Hello size 20. That was it. No more!!! Listened to my husband. Called a Cambridge Weight Plan consultant. Weighed in at 91kg. At the doctors I was 95kg. First weigh-in was 25 March 2015. Four weeks into the journey I am now looking at the scales going down for the first time in years and staying down. Last weigh-in 84.9. Last home weigh-in 82.9 kg. I have lost over 10 kg since the doctors office. Hello size 14, I could kiss you but you just a clothes size. Hello walking around the estate. Hello journey to a better and healthier me. Hello freedom! Thank you, Jesus you have saved my life again!!!!

Replies

• lauramb87
    lauramb87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this group. My name's Laura and I'm 27 and trying to lose 50 pounds. I've struggled with weight my whole life. I was chubby in school and made fun of even though I wasn't really that fat, maybe 5-10 pounds overweight when I was in elementary school and 20 pounds overweight in high school. In my late teens, I lost 35 pounds and looked and felt great. I kept this weight off for almost 5 years until I got my first desk job in an office. Then the pounds started to slowly pile on. Then my thyroid became under active so I gained more weight. Then one day I looked at the scale and realized I was almost 200 pounds and I didn't want to cross that threshold. So here I am! Keeping track of everything I'm eating really helps, and I've already started to lose weight after 1 week.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight a long time ago. But things in my marriage weren't good and seemed to get worse. I thought maybe it would help to put a few pounds back on. It didn't. Then homeschooling and ministry, then helping my sons get ready for college, homemaking and a marriage that was still not very supportive, led to depression and the weight really began to set in. Finally, put my foot down. (With the husband and the weight.) The marriage is better and I am living a life that is about taking care of myself and my family. I am certainly living a healthier lifestyle, loosing weight and enjoying life more. I hope my husband will continue to be a part of that, but if that ever changes, I will still care for myself and life will go on. I have learned that I am responsible for my choices in life. I continue to endeavor to live my life well. At this time, our whole family (husband and 2 young adult sons) are living a healthier lifestyle, staying more active and are being supportive of each other. My husband and I are continuing to work on a marriage that is more honoring to the Lord and to each other.

As for my process to returning to mental and physical health, it has been about getting back to basics. I first started by addressing stress, sleep deprivation and nutrition. I did not count calories at first. I just started eating "real food" and stayed away from anything that was heavily processed. I made sleep a priority. I changed my schedule so that I could make certain to sleep at least 7 to 8 hours each night. I had to deal with the stress. I addressed the areas of life that could be addressed. I choose to let some things go in life and focus more on other things. I set some boundaries with my family. Once I was feeling stronger and better, I then started logging my calories with MFP and started adding more activity to my life. Mainly walking and gardening. I am now at a point where I would like to add in some strength training. By focusing on organic vegetables and fruits, nuts and beans, and pastured meats, along with less stress and more sleep it has made a big difference in my health, energy level and weight. It has also helped with my family relationships.

Life is a continuing journey. One that should not be wasted, but lived fully. I am glad to once again be getting back to that.
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    lauramb87 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this group. My name's Laura and I'm 27 and trying to lose 50 pounds. I've struggled with weight my whole life. I was chubby in school and made fun of even though I wasn't really that fat, maybe 5-10 pounds overweight when I was in elementary school and 20 pounds overweight in high school. In my late teens, I lost 35 pounds and looked and felt great. I kept this weight off for almost 5 years until I got my first desk job in an office. Then the pounds started to slowly pile on. Then my thyroid became under active so I gained more weight. Then one day I looked at the scale and realized I was almost 200 pounds and I didn't want to cross that threshold. So here I am! Keeping track of everything I'm eating really helps, and I've already started to lose weight after 1 week.

Laura, Welcome to the group. Don't ever give up or quit trying. It's a journey worth taking and certainly one that will have it's ups and downs. Wether you lose one pound a week or one pound a month, you're only 27. You don't want to be 57 (me) and having to start again. It is wonderful that you are learning to live your amazing new lifestyle now.
  • jorinya
    Options
    lauramb87 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this group. My name's Laura and I'm 27 and trying to lose 50 pounds..

Hi Laura, you will find it easier than me because you are a little younger than me. I am 35, and boy is it hard work trying to get rid of my spare tyre (my bottom belly), but I'm hanging in there. Congratulations on the beginning of your journey and well done for losing some weight. The beginning is normally the hardest so the worst is over. We are here for you every step of the way.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    After pretty much a lifetime of compulsive over eating and never being willing to give it up, I finally got to a point close to two years ago where I was willing. Still not sure why, exactly. I had asked God for help with my eating numerous times over the years, but never truly wanted it. I wanted Him to keep me healthy while continuing to eat as much as I wanted. When I was finally serious about it, He was waiting, and helped me eat less and exercise. I lost close to 50 pounds, and now work at trying to keep it off. I still want the extra food, but He gives me strength.
  • dottieketostrong
    dottieketostrong Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My real weight problems started when I married and got pregnant, shortly before I was 20 years old. I gained 90 pounds ( not sure how much that is in Ks), I went from size 10 to size 20. It was because my mom was obsessive about watching what we kids ate when we were growing up. Even as a teen, she would severely limit any junk food. I felt resentful and deprived. Once I was married, I would eat a whole frozen pizza and a pound bag of M&M candies. I was really depressed at how fat I was, and by the time she was a year old, I had lost from 230 to 175. I still felt really fat, because I was wearing like a size 16. When i got pregnant with my second son, I went right back up to 235. A year later, I got pregnant again, and was 246 pounds in the first trimester. The doctor did some tests and discovered I had developed diabetes. He put me on a strict diet, and when the baby was born, I had actually lost some ( still weighed 235). I have tried tons of diets, but nothing worked for me. I hated exercise too. The diabetes did not go away when the baby was born, although they told me it might. I did not take care of it. I was addicted to sugar. I binged on snack cakes and cookies a lot. Finally, around 1997, the Lord began to deal with me about the sugar and other unhealthy foods. I wanted to stop, but I didn't know how in the world i could totally get off the sugar. I actually asked for prayer at church for deliverance from sugar addiction. I felt the Lord touch me in a powerful way. I started losing weight and to all the way down to 186, wearing size 14, some 12. But then I started feeling I could allow myself a few treats. MISTAKE! Before long I was back up to around 220, back in size 18/20.
    Finally, in 2006 I joined Nutrisystem. I started shedding the weight. I got to size 14 and was happy ( 180 pounds). I
    I stopped buying the NS food, and kept it off on my own. Then in 2009, I decided I wanted to try and lose 20 more. I felt the Lord encouraging me to try, although it seemed an impossible dream. I got back on NS, and sure enough, in 5 months I was 160 pounds, size 10 clothes! I kept that off without much trouble until in 2012. I went through menopause, and i suddenly gained 10 pounds. Over these past 3 years, I have gained 25 pounds back. My size 10 clothes are very tight. I didn't understand it, because I have continued to eat healthy, and I have exercised regularly since 2008 ( I now LOVE exercise). I went back on NS in April, and have only lost a few pounds. My clothes are only a tiny bit looser. I am more comfortable in size 12 or 14, but it makes me mad to have to wear that size. So I was desperately trying for the past 3 years to lose this weight.
    Well, a couple of weeks ago, I just decided if this is where my weight stays, I am okay with it. My metabolism has changed. I will be 54 years old next month. I am very healthy. My diabetes is very well controlled. I decided to continue to eat healthy and exercise, even if it means the only thing it does is keep me at 170 pounds. A couple of days after I gave it to the Lord, I was surprised to see I weighed a tiny bit less. I was 169.8! The next week I was 169.4! Today, I was 169.0! LOL I really wanted to get back to 160 again, but I had to ask myself why? The truth is because I liked how I looked and I liked all the compliments. Pure vanity. There is nothing wrong with my health or my looks at this size. But I have bought into what society says is necessary - to be thin. Thin means you are more loved, more approved of. But that is not what my Father says. He sees me making good choices and taking care of myself, and that is what matters to Him. I actually feel I still obsess to much over it, but I am working on it. I want to feel confident and beautiful, but that is not accomplished through men's praise, only God can satisfy me.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Wow you ladies stories are truly inspirational. @dottiemaystrong, you have just giving me the answer I was looking for. My weight has stayed the same all week even though I started working out again and watching what I eat more. I was getting into a panic. What am I doing wrong? That is what I have been asking myself. Today, something told me to go straight to our group and read your story. There near the bottom was my answer. I need to give it to God. Jesus carried my burden long long before me so I don't need to carry it. I don't need to panic. I don't need to worry about what the scales says. Truth is I just finished with that little monthly friend that comes to visit so my weight doesn't reflect my hard work.
    I will, no I am giving it all to God, plus the other related worries, right this second.
    I don't need to carry the extra weight with me because its not mine to carry.

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
  • dottieketostrong
    Options
    That makes my heart sing! I am glad I could help!
  • dottieketostrong
    Options
    And guess what? I dropped 2 more pounds in the past couple of days. I think the Lord was just waiting for me to cast my care on Him and put Him first, instead of the scale. :-) And I am STILL okay if I lose more or not, but I would rather lose! LOL
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    And guess what? I dropped 2 more pounds in the past couple of days. I think the Lord was just waiting for me to cast my care on Him and put Him first, instead of the scale. :-) And I am STILL okay if I lose more or not, but I would rather lose! LOL

Well done!
  • jorinya
    Options
    I've hit a stumbling block today. Don't know what is happening to be but I'm not going to let it get me down or stop me. Could be because I'm busy helping out on the forums and my friends list that the enemy wants to stop my own success. I've been slacking on my time with God and have to catch up on my devotional time. You know some people don't realise that this journey is a physical, mental and spiritual journey. They just look at the physical side and forget about the rest. I wish I could tell them all that its a battle we are fighting against evil but they might not listen. They only thing I can do is show them the heart of our Father God, the love of Jesus and the comfort of the Holy Spirit in my messages to them. I'm not going to stop now. I'm 1kg away from my goal weight for the end of this month and I know, with Christ that all things are possible. 65kg is coming closer now than it was 8 weeks ago when I started this journey at 91kg. God is in the drivers seat now. So its time for me to be still and know that He is God.

Oh before I forget, if you haven't got me as a friend here on MFP, please send a friend request.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I have been struggling my entire life on the "let go and let God thing". I just can't seem to figure out how to "give it to God" and still do all the things I have to do every day. It's not like He swoops down and takes care of everything. I have been so stressed for my entire life. How do you do it?
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    I have been struggling my entire life on the "let go and let God thing". I just can't seem to figure out how to "give it to God" and still do all the things I have to do every day. It's not like He swoops down and takes care of everything. I have been so stressed for my entire life. How do you do it?

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. (Psalm 55:22)
    Cast all your anxiety on Hime because he cares for you (1 Peter 5:7)

I too have had trouble with this. I too am a worrier. When my son told me that he didn’t believe in God any more, it was a difficult day. There was simply no convincing him otherwise. I can’t tell you the worry, guilt, stress I felt. It took a lot of prayer and tears to finally understand that I can pray, I can be there for my son, I can set a decent example for him (though I am not perfect), I can answer his questions to my best ability. But at the end of the day, it is God and God alone that knows how to work in my son’s life and only God that can change my son’s heart. It doesn’t mean that I don’t concern myself with James’ faith any more or that it doesn’t break my heart. It means that I’m not alone. I trust that God can bring it together for James. It means that I can pour my heart in prayer for James. Since the moment that I emotionally turned James over to the Lord, I have been privileged to see some amazing things happen in his life. Things that only a divine, loving God could ordain.

Sometimes when I hear people say let go and let God, it almost sounds trite; like somehow things shouldn’t even bother us. I feel that when we struggle, our hope is in the Lord. Our confidence is in the fact that He will walk with us and that He will see us through. Our strength is in our confidence in Him. Our ability to “cast our cares on Him” comes through our humble prayers where we allow the Lord to walk with us and trust that He will see us through.

I could write so much more, especially concerning my marriage and other trials, but for now, I pray that for today, even in the midst of any trials you endure, that you will experience the peace that passes all understanding, peace found in the arms of our Lord.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. My brother has not attended church in many years. He has a drinking problem, and is extremely angry with God about many things in his life. I worry about him, but I know I cannot make him do anything different. I do try to turn him over to God. I don't do so well in some other areas of my life, however. Mostly I try to change my husband because I worry about him, and because I need him to change his priorities somewhat. I do pray about it, but have a hard time keeping my mouth shut sometimes. It is so hard to wait on the Lord!!!
  • dottieketostrong
    Options
    Sorry, I am just now getting back on here. To let go and let God sounds so easy, but I agree, it's a struggle. Some days we will be more successful than others. To me, in order to be even partially successful with it, I have to have a constant line of communication going between me and Him. I will lay something down and tell Him its in His hands, and then 5 minutes later I am back to worrying over it. LOL! But He is so loving. He knows how hard it is to be human. We can come back to him as many times as we need and say again - Okay God, I am still holding on to this and I told you I would let it go. Help me.
    I guess this sounds kind of weird, but when I am too obsessed over my own issues, I reach out to someone else I know is going through some kind of struggle. Maybe with weight - but maybe with medical issues or marriage problems or something like that. Whenever I encourage and support somebody else, I always feel a boost in my own spirit.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I just got back on here after a long time away.