stride length

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
Ok I just measured my stride length and entered it into the fitbit app.
Is this going to make any significant difference?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much difference you saw prior between known distance and what Fitbit thought you saw.
    If treadmill walk of 4 miles in 1 hr saw 3.9 on the Fitbit, then not a big deal for slower paced daily life.
    If it saw 4.5, then ya, that's pretty good correction.

Calorie burn is ultimately based on distance and time - pace.

You don't give enough info to really give good opinion.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I guess I was wondering if it makes a huge difference adding in your stride length compared to leaving it blank as I have for the last month?
    Is it an important prerequisite to fill this part in when first starting with a fitbit.

I guess I was wondering what to expect now that I've filled it in. Or if anyone noticed a difference in their data after they changed it to their specific stride length compared to when fitbit was "guessing" it?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    I've knocked off about half my One's overestimation per walk by playing with the stride lengths, if that helps.
  • heybales
    Options
    The calculation they use for stride length based on gender and height are based on averages.

Some people are going to hit that average, some will not by a little, some by a lot. Both sides of the average.

So by correcting, people will have exactly the same range of difference afterwards - none, a little, huge.

Importance totally depends on how incorrect YOU have seen the distance being, because of the above fact.
    Some will see no difference, some a little, some a big difference, so that should spell out how much a prerequisite it is for filling it in. Obviously for some, not a nit, for others, big deal.

No one could possibly tell you what you could expect, and no one else's experience is going to help you figure out your own potential change.

My run's became more accurate for distance.

But since you don't know how inaccurate mine was, or how inaccurate yours was - that's really meaningless info.

You are literally trying to compare apples to oranges, doesn't work logically.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" so not average, but I just left the Fitbit setting as is. I am moving a lot more, losing weight at a healthy pace, getting to eat more (YEAH, 12000 really doesn't cut it in the real world).
  • thorsonej
    thorsonej Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like heybales said, depends on how far off you are from average for your height and gender. When I calculated mine, I was within .5" of average for a 5' 10" tall man.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" so not average, but I just left the Fitbit setting as is. I am moving a lot more, losing weight at a healthy pace, getting to eat more (YEAH, 12000 really doesn't cut it in the real world).

OOPS, make that 1200 calories doesn't cut it. Wow that was some typo.
  • Christine_72
    Options

OOPS, make that 1200 calories doesn't cut it. Wow that was some typo.

lol 1200 calories definitely doesn't cut it in my world! :tongue:

I compared my mileage and active minutes to before I set my stride length, and there doesn't seem to be any difference that I can tell. So fitbits estimation must've been pretty spot in.

By the way my stride length is 85cm

• Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have never messed with stride length. I figure most of my steps per day are daily activity like cleaning the house or moving around patients rooms at work, not running or going for a walk which would be a very different stride length. (I suppose I'm probably not understanding some principle of stride length. :smile: )

I just checked my numbers and my Fitbit cals in vs out say I should have lost 4.1 lbs this month. My Trendweight real weight loss is...4.1 lbs! I guess whatever the setting is it's working for me.

Give it a try and check your real world results and adjust from there. I have a One by the way...best thing ever!
  • heybales
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    I have never messed with stride length. I figure most of my steps per day are daily activity like cleaning the house or moving around patients rooms at work, not running or going for a walk which would be a very different stride length. (I suppose I'm probably not understanding some principle of stride length. :smile: )

I just checked my numbers and my Fitbit cals in vs out say I should have lost 4.1 lbs this month. My Trendweight real weight loss is...4.1 lbs! I guess whatever the setting is it's working for me.

Give it a try and check your real world results and adjust from there. I have a One by the way...best thing ever!

While the stride length figure is static, your actual stride length does indeed vary as you said.

But the static figure is not used to calculate distance on every step you take.

Rather, that figure with mass is used to figure out what the expected impact should be for that length.

Then your actual steps have different impact forces, and it can figure out from there the one changed variable - actual stride length for that step.

Now a dynamic distance is known, and calorie burn based on it.

So getting a measured stride length means less variance between expected and seen, because it can only adjust so much before you start getting really inaccurate with that math.

Hence the reason the test for stride length shouldn't be exercise pace, nor shopping pace, but between.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks so much for that explanation heybales!